2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

A/C system working properly??

Search this Thread

Old 10/16/06 | 08:19 PM
Cobra Member

A/C system working properly??

All, I was using the heater yesteday (set to the "floor only" control setting) and noticed the heat comes out of both the floor ducts and the center defrost duct. Is this normal? I ask because my '05 GT coupe did the same thing and I assumed it was an early model defect...rather than have the dealer tear out my dash I just lived with it.....and now the '07 GT/CS is doing the same...is it working correctly?
Old 10/16/06 | 09:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

You know it could be is the air the same , that is if heater is on = floor heat and the same time air out of vents is it maybe cooler ? Im thinking that then the vent may get air throught the cabin filter on the passenger side , not sure but Iwill re check in the morning.
Old 10/16/06 | 11:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
You know it could be is the air the same , that is if heater is on = floor heat and the same time air out of vents is it maybe cooler ? Im thinking that then the vent may get air throught the cabin filter on the passenger side , not sure but Iwill re check in the morning.

Ed - thanks - I'd like to get to the bottom of this seems strange with the floor heat on - it only comes out of the center defrost duct....not the driver's or passenger side...I didn't even think there was a duct in the very center of the windshield.
Old 10/17/06 | 01:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

that cabin filter thing is on the passenfer side of the vehicle /with the hood open there is the vent and three soft plastic pins to hold the grill casrefully with a flat obect push the bottom up of what looks like a screw but is Not then just pick them out & you lift grill/vent pull panel away from fire wall and You Will see the filter just pops out & in. When I took mine in ah You don't have one ?so I searched here and someone explained and posted a picture.
My son & I slept in so I forgot to check sorry , but I asked why is it that when I just start my car does my window fog up ? I mention that it seems like the A/C clicking on sucking gas up or something, the answer I got was that it was set up like that to ventalate the car ? ok well its under warrenty for ever almost.
Old 12/23/06 | 10:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Ford at one time was looking into the air bleed to defrost when in floor only, but this special service message makes it sound like they have called it quits.....

6621 - 2005-2007 MUSTANG - AIR FLOW FROM THE DEFROST WHEN IN THE FLOOR MODE IS CONSIDERED NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC
ON 2005-2007 MUSTANG VEHICLES, AIR FLOW FROM THE DEFROST WHEN IN THE FLOOR MODE IS CONSIDERED NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC. ENGINEERING HAS DESIGNED THE CLIMATE CONTROL HEAD TO ALLOW SOME AIR FLOW WHILE IN THE FLOOR MODE TO COME OUT DEFROST TO PREVENT WINDSHIELD FOGGING. THIS IS OCCURRING ON 2005 AND NEWER MODELS YEARS. ALSO, ALLOWING SOME FLOW OUT THE DEFROST IN FLOOR MODE WILL TAKE AWAY A HOWL TYPE NOISE THAT COULD BE PRESENT. COMPARE TO LIKE UNITS AT HIGH FAN SPEED AND IF THE CONCERN IS COMPARABLE, CONSIDER NORMAL OPERATION. REFER TO SECTION 412-00 IN THE WORKSHOP MANUAL FOR SYSTEM OPERATION.
Old 12/24/06 | 06:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

To prevent fogging huh? I think it makes it fog up WORSE!
Old 12/24/06 | 08:19 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Tiberius1701
Ford at one time was looking into the air bleed to defrost when in floor only, but this special service message makes it sound like they have called it quits.....

6621 - 2005-2007 MUSTANG - AIR FLOW FROM THE DEFROST WHEN IN THE FLOOR MODE IS CONSIDERED NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC
ON 2005-2007 MUSTANG VEHICLES, AIR FLOW FROM THE DEFROST WHEN IN THE FLOOR MODE IS CONSIDERED NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC. ENGINEERING HAS DESIGNED THE CLIMATE CONTROL HEAD TO ALLOW SOME AIR FLOW WHILE IN THE FLOOR MODE TO COME OUT DEFROST TO PREVENT WINDSHIELD FOGGING. THIS IS OCCURRING ON 2005 AND NEWER MODELS YEARS. ALSO, ALLOWING SOME FLOW OUT THE DEFROST IN FLOOR MODE WILL TAKE AWAY A HOWL TYPE NOISE THAT COULD BE PRESENT. COMPARE TO LIKE UNITS AT HIGH FAN SPEED AND IF THE CONCERN IS COMPARABLE, CONSIDER NORMAL OPERATION. REFER TO SECTION 412-00 IN THE WORKSHOP MANUAL FOR SYSTEM OPERATION.

Tiberius you are the man that center duct "nit" has been bugging me ever since I got my '05 and then my '07 Thanks....where do you find this stuff
Old 12/24/06 | 10:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Tiberius you are the man that center duct "nit" has been bugging me ever since I got my '05 and then my '07 Thanks....where do you find this stuff

Thanks! Always glad to help. I was a Ford service advisor/manager/shop foreman for 22years. Now I am working with Cadillac-(still bleed Ford Blue, however!) but still have contacts at Ford.
Old 2/20/07 | 08:02 AM

My Ford dealer told me about this service bulletin yesterday after spending a day tearing my dash apart. The strange thing is that I only noticed this recently. I do not recall air coming out of the defrost before when I used floor heat. The other thing that bothers me is that there is no noticeable difference between floor only, and the split floor/defrost setting. They sound exactly the same to me. Can anyone else confirm this? Anyone have any difference between these two settings? I've never seen this type of operation before - seems pretty odd.
Old 2/20/07 | 12:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

When you put it on the floor/defrost setting, it does put more air through the defrost. It also turns on the A/C compressor to dehumidfy the air. (as long as the outside temp is above freezing)
Old 2/20/07 | 06:38 PM

Maybe there is a slight difference, not too much. Still seems like unusual operation though. I don't get the AC on with either floor/def or def - I believe this is because I am in Colorado and that has probably been disabled because it's so dry here. Last time I tried to use the AC to defrost I couldn't see a thing for a half an hour...

There's another service bulleting attached to this one about problems with the AC clutch failing. There's a revised design replacement. Wish owners could get access to this stuff.