2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Break-in period

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/09, 09:28 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Break-in period

Just got my car yesterday! Any suggestions on how many miles the "break-in" period shold be for the engine?
Old 1/8/09, 11:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Break-in period? What's that? On the test drive for my '08 I took it on a closed autocross course the dealership had set up on a back lot and got on it relatively hard, that was with about 20-30 miles on the clock. IMO go easy with it for the first hundred or two miles, and then don't be afraid to have fun with it. I used to take it very easy with most of my new cars, not taking the rpm's very high until at least 1000 miles, but my opinion has changed over the last few years. I'm not abusive with the car, I just drive it like it was meant to be driven. FWIW, the owners manual mentions nothing about a specific length break-in period IIRC, some other cars I've owned have had such a warning about breaking in the engine/car.

Last edited by Ministang; 1/8/09 at 12:01 PM.
Old 1/8/09, 07:53 PM
V6 Member

If I'm not mistaken the only thing I remember the owner's manual stating is do not drive it at the same speed for long periods of time for the first 1000 miles.
Old 1/8/09, 08:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you need to take out still waiting in your sig. Congrats!
Old 1/9/09, 04:52 AM
Bullitt Member

My philosophy has always drive it on Day #1 just like you would drive it on Day # 1000, this way the car is used to your driving habits right from the start. Maybe be a little gentle the first 500 miles or so, but other then that drive it like you will going forward.
Old 1/9/09, 05:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

I remember reading somewhere in the manual that if you are useing your message center's gas mileage indicater that you are not to expect accurate readings for at least a few thousand miles. This infers to me that POSSIBLY it could be referring to a break-in period of that length of time. At any rate remember the engine block is aluminum so at least let it get to operating temperature before you get on it. But I am useing this theory for my car. Someone else on this thread might speak up and say that is not so, or not needed. I played it safe and I am not sorry for it.
Old 1/9/09, 05:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cool "RGNUSMC"

I've built and driven high performace engines and cars for over thirty-years now and written on this subject before. So here is a a quick review.

FYI: If you plan to keep your Mustang like new for quite a while, you may want to consider this as a possible break in period procedure?

The very first five hundred miles have always been considered the most critical break in period for almost every new vehicle ever made out there! This to properly seat the engine rings, cam lobes, crank bearings etc. The brake pads and the rotors also need to wear in and set evenly too.

Just suggest that you drive at varing speeds on the highway for the first couple of hundred miles for seating the piston rings! Then after that. Once in a while, you can then slowly pull the engine up through the power band to 5-Grand and back down as you go through the gears. This done to finalize seating the engine valves, piston rings etc. And to wear in all the new moving parts on your Mustang!

At about five-seven hundred plus miles of combined city/highway driving, your new Mustang's many moving parts should now be honed in and smoothed like a sharp knife! And also it is now really ready for some fun and spirited pony driving pleasure!

I know that some would preach that you should put down a long trail of burnt tire rubber as you leave the new dealer's parking lot. And then drive your new Mustang like you stole it all the way home! There will plenty of time for that kind of wonderful fun in the near future! This is going to be your own personal ride, not some high powered short term rental loaner!

So break it in like a brand new hunting gun, a new bird dog or anything else that you plan to have a very long term happy relationship with. Do it with with some love, patience and a little bit of care! And you shall truely be happily rewarded in the end.

Just try to fight that big power rush feeling of desire for a just little while, with your brand new and exciting Mustang investment!! "You Can Do It!"

If you have done all of this, you shall sleep better nights! And will have the peace of mind, that the first time you really go out and hammer it. Your wonderful brand new Mustang GT/CS will be very ready to perform over the top for you for along time!! Ooh Rah!! CalStang

Last edited by CalStang'07; 1/9/09 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Additions
Old 1/9/09, 08:54 PM

The only specific "break in" procedures I followed included not hitting redline RPMs for the first 1500 miles or so and changing the oil much earlier than normal... around 2500 miles as opposed to 4000 miles I normally follow now.
Old 1/9/09, 09:20 PM

I'll echo what most here have already said. New cars don't require nearly the break in procedures that once were needed. I'd say vary the RPM's and load for the first few hundred miles and try to abstain from running up to redline for a while. I usually do my first oil and filter change at about 1,000 to 1,500 miles. Oh, and most important...Enjoy

Jim
Old 1/10/09, 01:11 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I babied the heck out of mine for the first 5,500 miles, but at the same time it was my first RWD, manual vehicle. Because of my inexperience, I chose to take it easy and learn the vehicle before I tried anything in the higher rpm scale. Its better than wrapping around a tree!
Old 1/10/09, 05:37 AM
V6 Member

My Dealer told me not to baby it,break it in just like you plan to drive it,so thats what I did and its been running great, over 2 years old now and 3k miles,and I think if you don't plan on putting a lot of miles on it if you want to make sure everything is ok while its under warrenty that might be the way to go ,I checked out the rev limit and traction control a couple time on the gas just to make sure they work properly.These are great cars have fun with it.No tickets to date here yet.
Old 1/10/09, 06:07 AM

hello every one i am new here in your forum...

Old 1/10/09, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by champ7
My Dealer told me not to baby it,break it in just like you plan to drive it,so thats what I did and its been running great, over 2 years old now and 3k miles
You need to drive you car more!

I've had mine since March 22nd and have over 11k on it...
Old 1/10/09, 04:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

The motor leaches copper and iron for the first 5K miles. This is "normal" by new car standards. The rotating assemblies and bearings will wear in during this period. I suggest you change your oil at 100 miles. I also suggest that you change your oil again at 500 miles. Then once again at 1000 miles. From there, change your oil at regular intervals per your manual.

http://www.beauchampengineering.net/pdf/analysis8.pdf

Use either the factory fill (proven to be good) or Mobil1 15,000. These are two known great oils for this motor. You can run whatever you want, just steer clear of non-synthetic PA crude oils.

If you live in a very dirty, dusty, sandy environment, I suggest no more than 3K mile change intervals.

PM me if you want more specifics.

Last edited by shaun_beauchamp; 1/10/09 at 04:14 PM.
Old 1/10/09, 08:19 PM

I changed the oil at 1500 miles. I never have seen the purpose of "drive it like you stole it" when the engine is new . You will have plenty of time to do that later!