2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Break In

Search this Thread

Old 8/28/07 | 08:52 PM
Cobra Member

Break In

Cant find a thread on how people have broke in their new cars. I for one have always just put it to the wood and drive/ride them like I am going to. I have seen large differences in horsepower when compared to people that ***** footed the breakin compared to the people who just drove it like they plan on driving it..

anyway..any threads anywhere on this???
Old 8/29/07 | 06:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

is your car a stick or auto?
Old 8/29/07 | 06:16 AM
Bullitt Member

His is Auto, mine is a stick. Tell us both!
Old 8/29/07 | 06:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cool New engine Break-in/How-tos

Colbymh: Read my short little "Break-in/How-tos" writeup at "CalStang's Pix's Finally" thread. Answers found in thread reply #4. This should about cover it for all you owners with any brand new engine concerns. It has worked great, on every factory/performance engine we've broken in!!
Old 8/29/07 | 08:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

there was a pretty good article in carcraft. I will have to see what issue it was when I get home this evening
Old 8/29/07 | 10:19 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by CalStang'07
Colbymh: Read my short little "Break-in/How-tos" writeup at "CalStang's Pix's Finally" thread. Answers found in thread reply #4. This should about cover it for all you owners with any brand new engine concerns. It has worked great, on every factory/performance engine we've broken in!!
Good info...Thanks
Old 8/29/07 | 02:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by colbymh
Cant find a thread on how people have broke in their new cars. I for one have always just put it to the wood and drive/ride them like I am going to. I have seen large differences in horsepower when compared to people that ***** footed the breakin compared to the people who just drove it like they plan on driving it..

anyway..any threads anywhere on this???
Babied her for the first 1k miles. I then drove her normal...but never floored the gas until 2k miles. I did the first service at 3k miles instead of the 5k...from there on every 5k.
Old 8/29/07 | 07:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

the article was in july 04 issue. I can't seem to find it online on the carcraft site.
in a nut shell
brakes
A series of controlled moderate speed stops (15-20 Stops from 30-mph w/30 sec cool down) is required to properly "burnish" or break-in a new set of pads. During this initial stopping period, the process of lining transfer from the disc pads to the rotor surface helps condition the rotor surface to properly seat the brake pads. All pads are cured and all pads need to be burnished.

clutch
Yes. It Is Recommended To Properly Seat In The New Pressure Plate &Amp; Disc Assembly To Assure Good Clutch Performance. Centerforce Recommends 450-500 Miles Of In Town Stop And Go Type Of Easy Driving Before Applying Full Power. If Your Driving Consists Of Mainly Highway Type Use, The Break In Period Should Be Longer Than The 450-500 Miles. If The Break In Period Is Not Properly Followed, Clutch Life And Performance Can Be Sacrificed.

rear gears
What is the break-in proceedure for a new set of gears?
All new gear sets require a break-in period to prevent damage from overheating. After driving the first 15 or 20 miles it is best to let the differential cool before proceeding. I recommend at least 500 miles before towing. I also recommend towing for very short distances (less than 15 miles) and letting the differential cool before continuing during the first 45 towing miles. This may seem unnecessary but I have seen many differentials damaged from being loaded before the gear set was broken in.
I also recommend changing the gear oil after the first 500 miles. This will remove any metal particles or phosphorus coating that has come from the new gear set.

These were the 3 items covered in the mag. Engine break in was not covered.

From what I have read/copy and pasted here about engine break in.

Drive normally but not a continuous high speeds for the first 500 miles. Occasional quick bursts of speed followed by quick deceleration during this period, is beneficial. AVOID LUGGING!!! TRIPS AND TOWING are not recommended until after 1000 miles.
NOTE:
Applying loads to the engine for short periods of time causes increased ring pressure against cylinder walls and helps to seat the rings. This is especially important because you are "BREAKING-IN" the engine with heavy duty oils. The rapid deceleration increases vacuum and gives extra lubrication to the piston and other assemblies.