2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

2007 Gt/cs Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 8/17/06, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2007 Gt/cs Mods?

Hey all you Mustang nuts! {I ressemble that remark!}

I purchased a "Roush" strut tower brace/bar from a guy on Ebay. It was brand new, in the Roush box. When I contacted Roush they said it was a part they had planned on distributing and that they had ordered them from the manufacturer, but that they decided to return it to the manufactor as it didn't fit all the mustangs {2005 to ?}, some had a problem with the hood closing properly. I installed it and my hood appears to close OK, BUT it is really close and it barely touches my GT Plenium engine cover in the middle. They had no installation instructions for the item and there were none in the box. It is a great looking piece with "Roush" stamped in the billet tower caps and looks to be high quality.
I,m not sure how tight the brace/bar should be and wondered if anyone else out there has had any experince or knowledge about this item and or proper installation ideas? The "Roush" part # is - R06020056-13-AA -

Like I said it looks great and seems to be very high quality, I just want to make sure I have it installed right ! Thanks for any help you can give me.

Rim Country Cruiser
Old 8/17/06, 09:38 AM
Cobra Member

While I don't have the Roush STbrace - I do have the Steeda two bar brace and it doesn't clear the plenum cover - I had to trim the cover a bit.....and I can't help thinking that if the Roush brace clears the cover - it must be fairly high - does it rub the hood blanket?
Old 8/17/06, 11:22 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I take it you have the GT Appearance package, with the Ford plenum cover and not the Midwest Auto Gear cover?

Have you seen the thread on how to mount that cover for more clearance between it and the strut tower braces (doesn't matter what brand)??

Basically, remove the two nuts holding it on at the front, on the Throttle Body bolts. Then pull off the wire look pushons at the back, and pull the cover off. Remove the two rear bolts that the cover was sitting over, then put the cover back on and put those bolts through the holes in the cover. This drops the back of your cover about 1/2", and should give you more room. That's actually how the MAG cover mounts, under those bolts.

Let us know if you've got dents in the hood liner from the STB (I do with my Strange STB). Did you torque the strut nuts back down to 25 ft/lbs when you put them back on?

Welcome, and where are the pics? You've got a new GT/CS and don't have pics up yet?
Old 8/17/06, 05:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Do you have a car pic?
Old 8/18/06, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
While I don't have the Roush STbrace - I do have the Steeda two bar brace and it doesn't clear the plenum cover - I had to trim the cover a bit.....and I can't help thinking that if the Roush brace clears the cover - it must be fairly high - does it rub the hood blanket?
Thanks for the reply. I think it does just barely touch the underhood insulation but seems to close OK. I am trying to figure out how tight to make the bar that runs from tower to tower, it is a different application than most I have seen. I am working on a hood scoop now, trying to get some modifications done. Thanks, Terry
Old 8/18/06, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by jayguy
I take it you have the GT Appearance package, with the Ford plenum cover and not the Midwest Auto Gear cover?

Have you seen the thread on how to mount that cover for more clearance between it and the strut tower braces (doesn't matter what brand)??

Basically, remove the two nuts holding it on at the front, on the Throttle Body bolts. Then pull off the wire look pushons at the back, and pull the cover off. Remove the two rear bolts that the cover was sitting over, then put the cover back on and put those bolts through the holes in the cover. This drops the back of your cover about 1/2", and should give you more room. That's actually how the MAG cover mounts, under those bolts.

Let us know if you've got dents in the hood liner from the STB (I do with my Strange STB). Did you torque the strut nuts back down to 25 ft/lbs when you put them back on?

Welcome, and where are the pics? You've got a new GT/CS and don't have pics up yet?
Hello, Thanks for the info. I do have the engine cover that the GT appearance package came with. The brace just barely touches it, I slid a small american flag patch underneath so ir wouldn't rub, looks kinda cool. The top of the bar just barely touches the hood insulation but it seems to close OK, I am mostly worried about the hood scoop I just put on it, hopefully it doesn't effect the hood by bowing. I have been working on the different modifications in the garage and haven't taken any pics yet, just got it a week ago. Thanks, Terry
Old 8/18/06, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by awakeinAZ
Do you have a car pic?
Hello, No pics yet, I just got it a week ago. It has been in my garage getting the modification makeover. This weekend I hope to have the FlowMaster American Thunder mufflers and chrome tips on. I just finished the hood scoop project last night and the Street Scences retro grill the night before. The UPS and FedEx guys know my place by heart! I think I am going to really like the new Stang. Looks alot like the 69 & 70s ! Thanks, Terry
Old 8/18/06, 09:29 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rim Country Cruiser
Thanks for the reply. I think it does just barely touch the underhood insulation but seems to close OK. I am trying to figure out how tight to make the bar that runs from tower to tower, it is a different application than most I have seen. I am working on a hood scoop now, trying to get some modifications done. Thanks, Terry
Terry - I may be off on this but it would seem to me that you'd want to brace the strut towers in their stock position....my Steeda exactly fits the strut tower bolts and creates a "bridge" between the towers further strengthing the front chassis....am I understanding you correctly that the Roush unit's side to side length is adjustable?
Old 8/18/06, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Terry - I may be off on this but it would seem to me that you'd want to brace the strut towers in their stock position....my Steeda exactly fits the strut tower bolts and creates a "bridge" between the towers further strengthing the front chassis....am I understanding you correctly that the Roush unit's side to side length is adjustable?
Hi, The Rouch has a billet tower cap that bolts on top of each strut tower and has a large bolt that runs horizonal through a clamp like fastner, facing the engine. The actual brace/bar is adjustable at each end with a connector bushing that slides over the horizonal bolt and thighens up. The brace/bar is adjustable and needs to be tightened, I would think to the right poundage. {whatever that might be?}. The clamp on the strut tower also tightens up around the end of the brace/bar and holds the brace/bar in place, but i'm not sure how tight that should be either? Kinda hard to explain, if I get the chance I will take a pic. of it and send it to you. Thanks, Terry
Old 8/18/06, 01:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rim Country Cruiser
Hi, The Rouch has a billet tower cap that bolts on top of each strut tower and has a large bolt that runs horizonal through a clamp like fastner, facing the engine. The actual brace/bar is adjustable at each end with a connector bushing that slides over the horizonal bolt and thighens up. The brace/bar is adjustable and needs to be tightened, I would think to the right poundage. {whatever that might be?}. The clamp on the strut tower also tightens up around the end of the brace/bar and holds the brace/bar in place, but i'm not sure how tight that should be either? Kinda hard to explain, if I get the chance I will take a pic. of it and send it to you. Thanks, Terry
Terry - interesting.....I hope no one with that kind of brace decides to "gorilla tighten" the thing and ends up tweaking the strut tower braces - can't be good thing?? Look forward to the pics.