Why I think the GT500 market is going to crash soon.

Search this Thread

Old 6/20/06, 03:58 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
It is an impractical car that gets poor gas mileage, has moderate interior quality, a live axle and gets beat by the Corvette at $20,000 less (after ADMs).
Why are we so enthusiastic about this sow, again...?

Old 6/20/06, 06:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Why are we so enthusiastic about this sow, again...?

Because Mustangs have an intangible character about them. Those that have owned them know what I am talking about.
Old 6/20/06, 09:22 PM
Closet American

Because Mustangs have an intangible character about them. Those that have owned them know what I am talking about.
There's nothing "intangible" about 4000 lbs.

But I know what you're saying about Mustang ownership. It's been many years since our family owned that blue '67 GT390 - the first car I ever "drove" - well, it wasn't driving exactly, more like careening out of control with the unforgettable sound of my dad screaming at me to hit the brakes.

Hey, I was only nine. Needless to say, he didn't let THAT happen again. Sadly, by the time I was of legal driving age, he had sold it to purchase an LTD.
Old 6/21/06, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The GT500 is a good car overall but I imagine that by about December or January we will see the ADM's fall off. Once the cars actually get out there and into peoples hands we will see how well they truly perform on the city streets. I would imagine some will love them and some will hate them. Im sure a lot of the $20K over purchases are being bought by people with deep pockets just looking for the latest toy. After 6 months and the new has worn off I imagine we will see a lot of these buyers parting with there GT500's in order to pursue the next greatest thing. By next year I wouldn’t be surprised to GT500's going for below MSRP.
Old 6/21/06, 12:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

The market for 500hp cars in this era of high gas prices will not be as strong as the hard core enthusiast, like us, think it will. It is the ultimate factory Mustang as far as we are concerned. It is an impractical car that gets poor gas mileage, has moderate interior quality, a live axle and gets beat by the Corvette at $20,000 less (after ADMs).

Ford will sell all of them, but not at super high prices.
The problem here is that you think Ford is getting extra money because of ADM's, They AREN'T! All that extra money is going right back into the dealership selling them.

As for the magazine bench racing, I'm sure once a reputable mag gets their hands on one (ones that know how to drag race etc), the car will really show what its capable of doing.
Old 6/21/06, 02:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by GT98
The problem here is that you think Ford is getting extra money because of ADM's, They AREN'T! All that extra money is going right back into the dealership selling them.

As for the magazine bench racing, I'm sure once a reputable mag gets their hands on one (ones that know how to drag race etc), the car will really show what its capable of doing.
No, I fully understand the system. ADM stands for Additional DEALER Markup. In fact, Ford makes more if the price comes down as they will be able to sell higher volumes. Which is why they will make more than the "projected" 9000. Why wouldn't they. Do you think they care whether of not our cars are rare. They care about how much money it makes them.

It isn't about Ford making money. It is about buyers spending money. The buyers don't care whether it goes to Ford or the dealer. From our perspective, the car is $45,000 or $65,000 whatever. Most of us are not willing to spend $65,000 for the car I described above.

You and I know that Car and Driver is not going to wring out the car like MM and FF (They already have, btw. Evan Smith got 12.2). The public, however, reads C&D far more and they will believe that. Honestly, I believe it somewhat. The cars were tested by the same drivers under the same conditions at the same time. Even if they are not the best drivers, they used the same skill level for both cars.

My point was that the demand for this car at $20k over is not that strong. At MSRP, the market will be strong.
Old 6/22/06, 10:48 AM
GT Member

Gt500

I'm sure if things go well, Ford will offer a more worked out version of this car any way. Erik
Attached Thumbnails Why I think the GT500 market is going to crash soon.-eriksmustang05.jpg  
Old 7/1/06, 03:29 PM

#5 on the list in Atlanta

I am #5 on the list at Gene Evens Ford in Atlanta, I have told the sales Manager I will NOT pay over MSRP. He tells me he thinks 15K over MSRP is where he will be when I get the call. I told him "I will not pay your markup". He said I may have to wait a year then. I will not pay over list
Old 7/1/06, 06:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Oh well I tries to get one and I think the noses are up so I'll just give up untill they really need a sale.
Hi Ed..... glad to hear you are enjoying your Mustang. The picture is a Shelby Mustang, which is only available through SVT dealers, and I hear that most SVT dealers already have a waiting list for them! I wish you many more years of enjoyment with your vehicle, and thanks for being a Ford customer!
and this from someone that matters, ah poor people must have every nut out there banging thier doors to get one .
Attached Thumbnails Why I think the GT500 market is going to crash soon.-whitey.jpg