Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
And that would include you.
I agree.
Old 4/29/07, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by eci
What's typical of older people is no understanding or respect for the accomplishments of the recent past. John Coletti is the reason you have the GT500 of today. Not Carroll Shelby. Coletti is the man behind the 03/04 "Terminator" Cobra, which you shoud note is VERY similar to the GT500. You'll find it interesting to note that most GT500 buyers don't have any knowledge or respect for that car, which has a hell of lot more in common with the 07 GT500 than 60's musclecars do. No respect for anything past THEIR youthful period. A lot of these guys think the GT500 is some sort of "new era" for Mustangs. They seriously have no idea what the 03 Cobra is/was.

The 60's have nothing to do with today's performance cars. Absolutely nothing. Performance in Mustangs died in the 70's, and was woken up in the late 80's with the fuel injected 5.0 and the enormous aftermarket for them.
You want to talk about Coletti fine, yes he's did a great job with the Terminator, but I can't believe you would talk about Carroll Shelby like that. He is partially responsible for the mustang being the car it is today. I'm 24, younger than you and truly love the Mustang for all it is and respect all of them. I don't agree with what FORD is allowing to happen with the Shelby cars, because in an interview Shelby himself said I want to make and affordable 500hp car for Mustang enthusiats. He didn't want the rediculousness of the dealerships. Sure he's reaping the benefits, but you would too given the opportunity. That aside, I'm sure Coletti drew some inspiration from Shelby and what he did with Mustangs in the '60's to help him design the Terminators. You my friend need to direct your comments towards FORD and not Shelby, it's not Carroll Shelby who is driving up the prices. The man is a legend in the automotive world and will always be.
Old 4/29/07, 09:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eci
What's typical of older people is no understanding or respect for the accomplishments of the recent past. John Coletti is the reason you have the GT500 of today. Not Carroll Shelby. Coletti is the man behind the 03/04 "Terminator" Cobra, which you shoud note is VERY similar to the GT500. You'll find it interesting to note that most GT500 buyers don't have any knowledge or respect for that car, which has a hell of lot more in common with the 07 GT500 than 60's musclecars do. No respect for anything past THEIR youthful period. A lot of these guys think the GT500 is some sort of "new era" for Mustangs. They seriously have no idea what the 03 Cobra is/was.

The 60's have nothing to do with today's performance cars. Absolutely nothing. Performance in Mustangs died in the 70's, and was woken up in the late 80's with the fuel injected 5.0 and the enormous aftermarket for them.
I'm 55. I don't appericiate what Coletti has done for SVT with the Terminater because I never cared for the body style of the Mustangs from 1974-2004. Nothing against Mustang, these particular body styles just didnt do anything for me. No if Coletti had worked his magic on a 2005+, might be a different story. Waiting for a 400ish HP SE, and hope its a Boss, Mach1 or Cobra Jet,not some stinking movie edition Bullit. Great movie, but as a Mustang SE, it has no appeal for me.
I have always had the utmost respect for Mr Shelby and Hai Tai.. I am glad we got the new Mustang body style, it brought me home.
However, this is nothing more than catering to a few people who have so much money they don't know what to do with it all.
As for this Super Snake, YawnX1000.
Old 4/29/07, 09:32 PM
eci
Banned

Thunder,

What did Carroll Shelby have to do with the s197 body style?

What did Carroll Shelby have to do with the 07 GT500?

Awaiting your thoughts...

EDIT: BTW Thunder... Coletti basically did "work his magic" on the 07 GT500. 4V DOHC supercharged motor, big brakes, 6 speed transmission.... all Coletti there. Had it not been for Coletti, Ford wouldn't even been close to producing such a car.
Old 4/29/07, 09:40 PM

What is your vendetta against Carroll Shelby? It's not his fault that Ford isn't doing what you want it to do. And to answer your first question Shelby had nothing to do with the design of the S197 body style and no one ever said he did, second question what did Shelby have to do with the 07 GT500, his GT500 in 1967 was the inspiration for the car. Did he design the car no, did he engineer the car no, did he put his seal of approval on it YES. Is it a bad *** car yes. I think comparing the Terminator to the Shelby is comparing apples and oranges, same as comparing the SN-95 to the S197 they are way different cars. Fill me in here on just exactly what Coletti did as far as the Terminator? Not being a smartass, just trying to find out why you have the position you do on Carroll Shelby.
Old 4/29/07, 09:45 PM
Cam Tease

Carrol Shelby is such a joke. I've far more respect for Zora Duntov, Larry Shinoda, and Lee Iacocca.
Old 4/29/07, 09:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
I think the point here is >> where is the 400 HP Mustang to fill the gap between the GT and GT500, one that average middle class people can actually afford? There's too much emphasis right now on Shelbys, Super Shelbys, Extra Super Shelbys, Extra Super Duper Shelbys, etc, etc.

Also: "I told them that I wanted to build a vehicle that could blow the doors off of most anything on the planet." Most anything on the planet, huh? This ain't the '60s anymore. That's gonna be a tall order, and I'm starting to get the feeling that someone is beginning to believe their own press.
Sure I could afford but after they taste the allmighty $$$ it will be out of reach , as My GT/CS is due soon for first service & I'd like a new unit already Mr.Sigmand Froyed please help !
Old 4/29/07, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Milk the Shelby for all it's worth!!!!

maybe if Shelby weren't involved in these new SEs we'd be able to afford them? just an idea...
Old 4/29/07, 09:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
PS Mr. Shelby builds with the restrictions in force it is not His fault those other Gougers mark it all up ! is it now. its not just a Shelby that can do it I had a 66 & 68 Ford Falcan that was very fast. I for one Love the design & style of it all !
Old 4/29/07, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by AnotherMustangMan
Carrol Shelby is such a joke. I've far more respect for Zora Duntov, Larry Shinoda, and Lee Iacocca.
Are you serious? Carroll Shelby is a joke? Ok if he's such a joke then why did Iacocca hire him to build a race Mustang for him? If you have respect for Iacocca then you should respect the fact that he could have picked any racer back in the '60's to build a race Mustang but he picked Shelby. Not only did he have his hands in the Mustang, but he was an excellent race car driver. I really just don't get where all this hatred towards Carroll Shelby is coming from. And I'm not trying to play down the other men, because in their own right they did great things too.
Old 4/29/07, 10:17 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by 2006GT500
Fill me in here on just exactly what Coletti did as far as the Terminator? Not being a smartass, just trying to find out why you have the position you do on Carroll Shelby.
http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Fist-Lead.../dp/0595409709

One thing was certain about the mercurial Coletti: he had an unswerving faith in the value of high performance. And after almost single-handedly rescuing the Ford Mustang from discontinuation via a covert, renegade program, Coletti had ridden his notoriety into his own throne within Ford-as head of the elite Special Vehicle Team. But in late 2000, Coletti stretched the boundaries of his own legend, abruptly canceling the division's highly-anticipated 2002 Mustang Cobra while disrupting marketing plans and enraging SVT's network of dealers. This is the untold story of how Coletti's performance mandate led to the creation of a car known as the "Terminator," the 2003 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra. It's a tale of closely-guarded secrets and daunting challenges as a small, elite team struggled to create a car that will long stand as an icon of American muscle. With interviews ranging from company chairman Bill Ford to the assembly line workers of the historic-yet-antiquated Dearborn Assembly Plant, Iron Fist, Lead Foot takes readers behind the scenes of this breakneck program and brings them face-to-face with the towering presence of an auto industry legend, John Coletti.
Carroll Shelby's got NOTHING on Coletti.
Old 4/29/07, 10:25 PM

Carroll Shelby's got NOTHING on Coletti......

Do some research on Carroll Shelby man. Thanks for the quote from the book but that still doesn't tell me what Coletti's invovlement in the Terminator was, did he decide to supercharge it or was he just a supervisor over the project or was he just the guy in charge of SVT when the Terminator was proposed to him and he said ok lets do that?

By the way Coletti has one car the Terminator, Shelby has the Shelby Cobra-one of the most popular, collectible and replicated cars ever, he has the GT350, he has the GT500, he has the Shelby Daytona's race cars, he helped develop the Viper, he developed the Shelby Series 1, and he oversaw the development of the '07 GT500....so Coletti 1, Shelby 7.

By the way when I see a Terminator go for $5.5 million, I'll put Coletti in the same arena as Shelby. Until then, I wouldn't try to compare John Coletti to Carroll Shelby. Not trying to put Coletti down by any means, I greatly respect and admire him, but get real man.
Old 4/29/07, 10:29 PM
eci
Banned

Carroll did NOT "oversee" the development of the 07' GT500. That car IS SVT'S CAR with Shelby marketing badges on the back. Note the valve covers " POWERED BY SVT ". Note the S197....NOT SHELBY'S DESIGN. Hm, powertrain by SVT ( Ford ), body by Ford. What did Carroll do again? "Approve" the TOO SKINNY 285 tires? lol

I know all about Carroll. He's an icon.....OF THE 60's. It's 2007 now. SAI bolts on FRPP parts and collects money for Shelby badging licensing. WTF has Shelby done for the Mustang the last FORTY YEARS? Wow, how conveniant.... they come along when FORD makes a retro body style to milk baby boomers! Deal with it. Keep telling yourself the 07'
GT500 is a "Shelby", lol
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
PS Mr. Shelby builds with the restrictions in force it is not His fault those other Gougers mark it all up !

That's funny!

Perhaps you might be aware of comments by Carroll Shelby made on behalf of the Mustang enthusiasts (the ones Mr. Shelby claims to love so much) and against the "Gougers". Most of us certainly aren't. If you do, post it.

I have yet to see an interview and listen to Carroll Shelby or one of his butt lickers refrain from mentioning the high auction prices of past and present Mustangs where Shelby has been involved directly or indirectly.

It must be a hangup or a legitimacy issue for him since he never brags about the high prices of his own models.

"... If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem".
Closet American

I think there should be room for all these great Mustang contributors in everyone's heart.

Where the trouble is ensuing - if I read all these posts correctly - is that people are growing angry that Ford is going to the Shelby well for rarified cars too often, while the rest of us poor working-class stiffs are not being offered an attainable SE in the 400 HP range.

I love the Shelbys, too. But not this many iterations of them, and not at the prices that the stealerships are asking.
Old 4/29/07, 10:33 PM

Never agrued the fact that I think that SAI is a joke these days, but what's Carroll's involvment in SAI these days? I think he owns it and that's about it. You're bashing Carroll Shelby, if you want to bash SAI that's fine, I'll jump on board with you cause they are basically doing the same thing that Ford is doing and using the Shelby name to make money. Carroll Spends most of his time in LA at his Childrens center. You want to bash someone for bolt ons and stuff direct it towards President Amy Bolan, pretty sure she's the one calling the shots at SAI.
Old 4/29/07, 10:35 PM
eci
Banned

Never agrued the fact that I think that SAI is a joke these days, but what's Carroll's involvment in SAI these days? I think he owns it and that's about it. You're bashing Carroll Shelby, if you want to bash SAI that's fine, I'll jump on board with you cause they are basically doing the same thing that Ford is doing and using the Shelby name to make money. Carroll Spends most of his time in LA at his Childrens center. You want to bash someone for bolt ons and stuff direct it towards President Amy Bolan, pretty sure she's the one calling the shots at SAI.
You're right, I probably should be directing my anger towards SAI rather than Carroll. However Carroll could stop the madness and preserve his good name. SAI is trashing his legacy.
Old 4/29/07, 10:36 PM
Closet American

You want to bash someone for bolt ons and stuff direct it towards President Amy Bolan, pretty sure she's the one calling the shots at SAI.
She *claims* Carroll makes all the final decisions...
Old 4/29/07, 10:38 PM

Which probably means she says I think we should do this and he signs his name. The man is old and in poor health.

Quick Reply: Shelby GT500 Super Snake Package