How many 09' GT500s will ford make?

Search this Thread

Old 9/30/08, 10:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think my mind is almost made up, even if the 10' is a better overall car I still think I have seen enough of it to know that I prefer the looks of the current gen much more. Performance is such an easy thing to improve on this car. I think the search is on to find the lowest price and rate on an 08-09 GT500. Just a question for the current owners what kinda MPG do you get with these cars? Not like it matters, but A friend of mine recently traded his GT500 in for a new SRT8 Challenger and noticed a huge difference in mileage. He told me he gets a little as 12MPG in the city with maybe about 18MPG on the highway. Even my modded Cobra gets better mileage than that pig.....
Old 9/30/08, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
our local dealer here still has a few on the lot....they have an added price tag marked "market adjustment"
i think the dealer is trying to get rich.... seems to me they are cooling off in the buying eye.
Old 9/30/08, 10:46 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
I hope that Ford gives us the specs soon on the 10' GT before I make a decision to buy a GT500. I'm starting to wonder how much better in terms of performance the next gen GT and GT500 will be over the current model. It seems like in years past that the next gen GT is almost equal to the previous gen Cobra........ a 99' GT runs right up there with the 96-98 Cobras and the current 05-09 GT runs with the N/A Cobras of 99-01 and 03-04 Mach1. I don't wanna feel like the guys who bought 01' Cobras then got smacked in the face with the 03-04 Cobras....

As far as the GT500 goes the sky is the limit. They could give the car a quick tune and put out 600hp! I'm hoping that it has the chassis tuning of the current KR model. I love the GT500 but it doesn't handle as well as I'd hoped it would.

Those of you who own these cars what would you do if you where in my situation? Wait for the 10' model and hope not to get raped by ADMs or should I "settle" for a current gen and use the saved money for mods.......

So far my local dealers won't dip below MSRP on them in fact some are still asking for $5000 ADMs. I'm thinking ebay is the way to go on a new one. This is such a big decision for me and I am truly conflicted on what to do.
Yeah, tough call. The 2010 GT500 is going to truly have some attention to detail with the upgraded interior, hips etc. But, I doubt there will be much change in the engine/powertrain area.
Possibly a modest 10-15hp bump to seperate it from the 07-08 cobra's, but most likely the big
differences will be aesthetic ,wheels, new extractors and so forth. I think any changes would be in the suspension area, but any changes there would be minimal. Expect a lowered stance maybe, but not a full KR treatment.
IMHO, it would come down to affordability. Like you said the sky is the limit on the 5.4L and the suspension is easily corrected. I lowered my car with just FRPP springs and it drives like a different car. Anyway, I expect the 2010 to have ADM's with all the hype and re-skin etc. so expect to pay a premium in the first year unitl 2011. Dealers are going to want to sell the 08-09's and they will add ADMs to the 2010 to leverage the sales on the remaining 08-09's.

So consider an 08 Cobra, which by the way is easy to find at MSRP or below. I paid MSRP
back in JUNE. Believe me MSRP or better is out there everywhere, and this is an incredible car for 45k-ish. Also remember these cars currently are holding there value pretty well, so "if" the 2010
turns out to be what you truly want and "if" they are avaiable at MSRP, you could always sell
your 08, if your mods arent outraegous and your miles are decent.
Meanwhile your driving a 500HP legend for a couple of years while you wait on the 2010 to become affordable.
If you can afford a GT500, dont even consider a 2010 GT, the 5.0 DOHC wont show up until 2011
on the GT and depending on the weight the 2011 GT it could be a real player.
If affordabilty is no issue, buy the 08 unitl the 2010 is released, then trade up.
If affordabilty is important, buy the 08 now at MSRP and roll with it.
Whatever you do, buy a Cobra ASAP, you wont reget it.
Good luck!
Old 9/30/08, 12:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Alloy w/ silver is my ultimate favorite combo!
We just received our Alloy Gray with Silver Striped 09 GT500 Coupe this morning. Awesome color combo!!! Priced at MSRP ($45,900) - none of that "adusted dealer markup" nonsense.
Old 9/30/08, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by c25sailor
I think MSRP can be discounted on Bullitts and GT500s. My local dealers seem to also have 08 Shelby GT's which can be bought for sticker or less. Apparently Mustang sales have really tanked -- economy, fuel economy perception and/or '10 model expectation. If you want one of these it seems like now is the time to go for it.
I can't speak for all dealers, of course, but at the dealership I work at Mustang sales are strong. Mustang is our 2nd best seller (behind F-series trucks, oddly enough). New '09 Bullitts are just $500 over the invoice total (way below MSRP), as are any new '09 GT's, California Specials, and V6's. As noted above, our 09 GT500's have been MSRP.

There are killer deals on '08's now. Any remaining new '08 Mustangs we have are priced below the invoice total to clear them out. (sorry, no '08 Bullitts or '08 GT500's left). We even have an '08 Shelby GT Convertible discounted below our cost! MSRP is $48,040, but we have clearance priced at just $42,950.

This is a buyer's market, so get while the gettin' is good!
Old 9/30/08, 05:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a question for the current owners what kinda MPG do you get with these cars?
I don't ever check mine, but, there is a computer avg mpg on the data center or whatever it is called. I have never reset it. I usually reads about 13.7-14.1. That is all inclusive of how I have driven it since I got it. I don't beat on it and I don't baby it either.
Old 10/6/08, 06:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
We just received our Alloy Gray with Silver Striped 09 GT500 Coupe this morning. Awesome color combo!!! Priced at MSRP ($45,900) - none of that "adusted dealer markup" nonsense.

In your honest opinion do you think a GT500 can be had below MSRP? I've actually been looking around I have found some with ADMs while I spotted others at MSRP. Keep in mind I'm in no rush to purchase the car since Winter is approaching.
Old 10/6/08, 06:57 PM

In your honest opinion do you think a GT500 can be had below MSRP? I've actually been looking around I have found some with ADMs while I spotted others at MSRP. Keep in mind I'm in no rush to purchase the car since Winter is approaching.
Yes, I believe you can find a brand new GT500 for slightly less than MSRP with some looking (nationwide). Dealers holding out for ADM's are just plain silly. MSRP seems to be very common these days - even on the fresh 2009's just arriving. Check www.TeamShelby.com forums and you'll find plenty of examples in their GT500's for Sale section.
Old 10/6/08, 08:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
We just received our Alloy Gray with Silver Striped 09 GT500 Coupe this morning. Awesome color combo!!!
Got any photos of it??
Old 10/7/08, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Got any photos of it??
Hi, Tony, here's a couple pics I took of this one just after it was cleaned up. It was moved into our showroom shortly thereafter. I love this color combo so much that I'm considering silver stripes for my Alloy Gray 07 GT now.

On a side note, this car is on sale for just $45,900. Click here for details. View Ford window sticker.
Old 10/7/08, 04:04 PM
Cobra R Member

I must say that you and everyone on this thread has been incredibly helpful. Since you are in the business i'm curious what does that alloy GT500 have as an invoice price and also how much below MSRP is feasible if I do my homework and look all over? Do you have any examples of how much to pay above invoice? I know a friend of mine was able to pick up his Malibu for $500 above invoice. Is something like that possible with a car like the GT500 or Corvette? I feel like the only way i'm going to buy a new one is if the price is so good that it isn't even worth buying a low mile 07' or 08'.
Old 10/7/08, 05:43 PM
V6 Member

Anyone near Alabama I would strongly suggest call David Hudson @ Town and Country Ford in Bessemer Alabama 877-481-3673

They got me a great deal on my car when everyone else near me was charging ADM's. How good of a deal? I drove almost 4 hours to get it. I was so impressed I may drive back if I buy a new truck next year. Really good people and I believe a sponsor of this forum. David just called me the other day to check on my satisfaction and mentioned they are getting several '09 GT500's.

Please tell David that Tom from MS with the black GT500 convertible sent you. I don't get a kickback but would like him to know how much I appreciaed his help.
Old 10/7/08, 09:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, Tony, here's a couple pics I took of this one just after it was cleaned up. It was moved into our showroom shortly thereafter. I love this color combo so much that I'm considering silver stripes for my Alloy Gray 07 GT now.

On a side note, this car is on sale for just $45,900. Click here for details. View Ford window sticker.
Thank you! I wish I had $45,900 for this vehicle - that's a phenomenal color combination!!
Old 10/8/08, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Thank you! I wish I had $45,900 for this vehicle - that's a phenomenal color combination!!
I, too, wish I had the $45,900 to buy this one! Alas, it was tough to get the supercharger past the wife a few months ago, so I'm keeping the '07 GT indefinitely - LOL!!!
Old 10/8/08, 08:12 AM

I must say that you and everyone on this thread has been incredibly helpful. Since you are in the business i'm curious what does that alloy GT500 have as an invoice price and also how much below MSRP is feasible if I do my homework and look all over? Do you have any examples of how much to pay above invoice? I know a friend of mine was able to pick up his Malibu for $500 above invoice. Is something like that possible with a car like the GT500 or Corvette? I feel like the only way i'm going to buy a new one is if the price is so good that it isn't even worth buying a low mile 07' or 08'.
While most of us dealers are giving away most everything for prices around invoice, and in many cases, below invoice, specialty cars like the GT500 still command prices well above invoice. MSRP or near MSRP seems to be the going rate still for GT500's.

But, to answer your question, our GT500 has an MSRP of $45,900 and the invoice total is $42,119. I bet if you shopped nationwide for an identical GT500 you may get lucky and strike up a deal in the $45K range at best. I seriously doubt any dealer would sell one for a price that's closer to invoice than MSRP. And with 2009 being such a short model year with such low production, odds are they will all be sold out at prices closer to (or at) MSRP long before they've sat around long enough unsold to be discounted anywhere near invoice.
Old 10/8/08, 01:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. If you can get a New GT500 for MSRP, you may be waiting a long time to see that price drop another few thousand dollars...
Longer than any new cars are available...

Remember People at MSRP, $45,000 for a new GT500 it is one of the best new performance car deals on the planet...

While most of us dealers are giving away most everything for prices around invoice, and in many cases, below invoice, specialty cars like the GT500 still command prices well above invoice. MSRP or near MSRP seems to be the going rate still for GT500's.

But, to answer your question, our GT500 has an MSRP of $45,900 and the invoice total is $42,119. I bet if you shopped nationwide for an identical GT500 you may get lucky and strike up a deal in the $45K range at best. I seriously doubt any dealer would sell one for a price that's closer to invoice than MSRP. And with 2009 being such a short model year with such low production, odds are they will all be sold out at prices closer to (or at) MSRP long before they've sat around long enough unsold to be discounted anywhere near invoice.

Last edited by Black GT500; 10/8/08 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10/9/08, 02:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Black GT500
I agree. If you can get a New GT500 for MSRP, you may be waiting a long time to see that price drop another few thousand dollars...
Longer than any new cars are available...

Remember People at MSRP, $45,000 for a new GT500 it is one of the best new performance car deals on the planet...
I do agree, but for the price point so was the 04' Cobra. I remember seeing the 04' Cobras sitting on lots with rebates because they needed to get them off lots for the new for 05' model. I'm just hoping history will repeat itself with the 09' GT500. I understand that the 09' model run will be very short with a small total production....... but again so was the 04' Cobra. I'm going to keep searching and maybe wait until after the 10' car is revealed. I'm hoping the debut of the 10' Mustang along with the continuing sagging economy will net me a new GT500 coupe for the best price possible........ and to think my neighbor wants to sell me his 07' for $55,000 all because he paid $20,000 above MSRP a couple summers ago lol.
Old 10/9/08, 03:23 PM

I do agree, but for the price point so was the 04' Cobra. I remember seeing the 04' Cobras sitting on lots with rebates because they needed to get them off lots for the new for 05' model. I'm just hoping history will repeat itself with the 09' GT500. I understand that the 09' model run will be very short with a small total production....... but again so was the 04' Cobra. I'm going to keep searching and maybe wait until after the 10' car is revealed. I'm hoping the debut of the 10' Mustang along with the continuing sagging economy will net me a new GT500 coupe for the best price possible........ and to think my neighbor wants to sell me his 07' for $55,000 all because he paid $20,000 above MSRP a couple summers ago lol.
04 Cobras went cheap with big rebates as the 05 body style was such a winner that most customers simply did not want the "new edge" SN95 body style. Many figured they'd wait for an SVT version of the 05+ Mustang, and that pent up demand is what sent 07 GT500 prices through the roof with big ADM's.

The 09's will be a very different scenario as the 2010 refresh does not have people lined up desperate to get one. Many of us don't even like the 2010 from what we've seen, thus making the 05-09's that much more desirable.
Old 10/9/08, 09:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Very nice color!!!
Old 11/4/08, 05:19 PM
GT Member

Oredered a certificate yesterday. Got the last Alloyd 500 made in 2008. I think he said #6501 out of 6513 08's.

Pretty cool!

Quick Reply: How many 09' GT500s will ford make?