GT500 in the July Car and Driver

Search this Thread

Old 6/3/06, 08:08 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
either or

If you like adding on and designing your own performance additions, then I'm happy the way I went, with suspension, brake, and SC +tune. It was less expensive, and I could control when and how I spent the money.
The GT500 with some suspension work, a fuller tune to the SC, will be a chevy killer for sure. I think the weight can be offset by the added power potential this car has in plenty, and the handling cand be greatly improved with suspension roll nullification and chasis stiffening. I'd say $2700.00 for suspension parts and labor, and about $450.00 for the shorter pully and tune. That will make the total what? $56,000.00 or so with sales tax and the add ons, and waiting a year for the price to settle.
I just couldn't wait, so I'm happy, Erik
Attached Thumbnails GT500 in the July Car and Driver-eriksmustang05.jpg  
Old 6/3/06, 12:55 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by AnotherMustangMan
No one can use more than 400hp on the street
You can in a 3900 lbs car
Old 6/3/06, 01:07 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Nick85
I'm with this guy. Think about it a full bolt on Mustang GT will keep up with a stock Shelby....
Mustang Gt w/full bolt ons < Shelby w/minor bolt ons
Old 6/5/06, 07:46 PM
GT Member

Bolt ons

Actually, the Shelby will still need almost all the bolt ons for it's suspension that a Mustang GT needs. The springs need to be 1/2" lower, the shocks, struts and front swaybar are pretty good, as for the rest, go to the Steeda sight, and order one of everything. Go to the BMR sight and order rear LCA re-location brackets. You can't gain weight, and not strengthen your legs, and expect to be as agile, grasshopper. Now go drive on the rice paper, until you do not tear it, and you will be one with your suspension. love Erik
Attached Thumbnails GT500 in the July Car and Driver-eriksmustang05.jpg  
Old 6/5/06, 08:21 PM
Cam Tease

Originally Posted by bob
You can in a 3900 lbs car

Haha, valid point. Perhaps I meant "no car should be heavy enough to justify more than 400hp on the street."
Old 6/6/06, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bob
Mustang Gt w/full bolt ons < Shelby w/minor bolt ons
Not necessarily. Definitely a driver's race. Shelby's are running mid to high 12's on average. We have GT guys on this board that get high 12's with an exhaust, intake, and pullies (street tires no less).

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=47748
Old 6/6/06, 06:54 PM
Cam Tease

Bob is talking about the pulley swap, CAI/retune, exhaust, gears, and drag radials that will turn the GT500 into a mid to low 11 second car.

Though, I would still rather have a 3200 pound mid 12 second car...
Old 6/6/06, 10:01 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

I know everybody would like a 3200 lbs mid 12 sec mustang, which could become a reality if everybody wouldn't mind Mustang "hencho in mexico" , thats the only way its gonna happen (and thats a discussion/debate/opinion for another thread).
Old 6/7/06, 07:31 AM
msd

I wonder if one of the reasons the GT500 understeers (aside from being very front weight biased) is because it's lifting it's front inside tire? Pics from caranddriver.com

In any case, I think it's a sweet car for what it is, although it's no sports car.
Old 6/7/06, 09:02 PM
Cam Tease

Originally Posted by bob
I know everybody would like a 3200 lbs mid 12 sec mustang, which could become a reality if everybody wouldn't mind Mustang "hencho in mexico" , thats the only way its gonna happen (and thats a discussion/debate/opinion for another thread).

I was implying "I'd rather have a C6," but hey, if Ford could pull it off with a Mexican 'Stang, I'm there too.
Old 6/7/06, 09:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by msd

Holy high-lifters batman.
That is ludicrous that Ford puts out a modern "sports" car with such a tall ride height. The F-150 looks lower than that!
Old 6/8/06, 07:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rampant
Holy high-lifters batman.
That is ludicrous that Ford puts out a modern "sports" car with such a tall ride height. The F-150 looks lower than that!
The shocks are fully extended, that's not the ride height.
Old 6/8/06, 11:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by grrr428
The shocks are fully extended, that's not the ride height.
Care to explain. How can the shocks be fully extended when we are looking at the outside of a turning car? Is there a jump we aren't seeing?

I hope you are right in that isn't the ride height, but I just can't seem to understand how the shocks could be extending when they should be compressing the outside tire. Maybe it is just the picture/situation.

This does look better, but still no where near as low as it should be for a modern car:
http://cwimg.us.publicus.com/apps/pb...tem=4&Maxw=600
Old 6/9/06, 08:29 AM

It appears as if that GT500 is cresting some subtle rise, which has unweighted the whole car. As for the piggish understeer, I imagine that's both a result of the porcine front end weight and it's probably also dialed into the chassis as a bit of a safety margin, understeer being a bit more of a benign handling balance for the general public. A bit more rear end bias in the sway bar tuning would probably do much to alleviate some of this, if not completely.
Old 6/9/06, 02:51 PM
GT Member

Care to explain. How can the shocks be fully extended when we are looking at the outside of a turning car? Is there a jump we aren't seeing?

I hope you are right in that isn't the ride height, but I just can't seem to understand how the shocks could be extending when they should be compressing the outside tire. Maybe it is just the picture/situation.

This does look better, but still no where near as low as it should be for a modern car:
http://cwimg.us.publicus.com/apps/pb...tem=4&Maxw=600
That is what I want...a $40k car that scrapes the ground pulling into my driveway. Remember, it is a heavy car that rides lower at speed. Do you want it to ride a half inch off the ground so that everytime you go through a dip or low point in the road it scrapes? Or so that everytime you hit a bump or rebound from a high point it scrapes? If you want a lowrider then buy a pickup truck or rice burner and chollo it out with the hydraulics and NOS....that sounds more your speed.
Old 6/9/06, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by n3cr0mncr
If you want a lowrider then buy a pickup truck or rice burner and chollo it out with the hydraulics and NOS....that sounds more your speed.
Old 6/13/06, 10:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by n3cr0mncr
That is what I want...a $40k car that scrapes the ground pulling into my driveway. Remember, it is a heavy car that rides lower at speed. Do you want it to ride a half inch off the ground so that everytime you go through a dip or low point in the road it scrapes? Or so that everytime you hit a bump or rebound from a high point it scrapes? If you want a lowrider then buy a pickup truck or rice burner and chollo it out with the hydraulics and NOS....that sounds more your speed.
Yeah, I hear all the Vette guys complaining that they scrape the driveway. Or Zs, BMWs, RX-8s, VWs, Porsches, Minis, Civics, Eclipses, Mazda 3s, etc., etc.. Heck, the rally-bred (as in long suspension, off-road going) Evos and STIs have lower ride heights. Even the heavier SRT-8's have a better stance. Yet, NONE of them complaing about it being too low. How can that be???

How many modern cars (let alone $40k sports cars) have a ride height like the GT500? Any?

And, as far as a car rising up that high during high speed, let's hope not. Otherwise, that would be poor engineering/aerodynamics. I seriously doubt the springs are that soft to compress that much at rest. If so, that doesn't bode well for its handling performance.

Pardon me for wanting a modern, $40k sporty car to actually look the part.
Old 6/14/06, 09:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Yeah, I hear all the Vette guys complaining that they scrape the driveway. Or Zs, BMWs, RX-8s, VWs, Porsches, Minis, Civics, Eclipses, Mazda 3s, etc., etc.. Heck, the rally-bred (as in long suspension, off-road going) Evos and STIs have lower ride heights. Even the heavier SRT-8's have a better stance. Yet, NONE of them complaing about it being too low. How can that be???

How many modern cars (let alone $40k sports cars) have a ride height like the GT500? Any?

And, as far as a car rising up that high during high speed, let's hope not. Otherwise, that would be poor engineering/aerodynamics. I seriously doubt the springs are that soft to compress that much at rest. If so, that doesn't bode well for its handling performance.

Pardon me for wanting a modern, $40k sporty car to actually look the part.
This pic is from the same C&D article that the GT500 pic is from:

Notice the ride height. Now we all know that isn't the true ride height of the Vette yet the GT500 is being slammed for the very same thing. I guess my point is that you can't tell much from a single photo taken while a car is traversing a road course at high speed. There are far too many variable involved to make a legitimate judgement.
Old 6/14/06, 10:09 AM
GT Member

I kinda agree

I must say I was on the eibach pro kit, and I did scrape driveways, and larger speedbumps. I went to the Saleen springs that put the wheel and tire right to the same axis as the wheel well. I can drive the real streets of LA still am lowered, have a race car suspension. I've got the JDM tune on my Saleen and love it. A Vette will scrape on real street racing, a lot. They, lowered like any low rider, are for smooth streets and highways and for show. They will destroy their underbody with any real street racing. No way.
Sports cars are Vettes, and they are beautiful. Autobahn, all smooth rich feeling roads. I live in LA, and you will not go through your average city intersection downtown at 85 in a Vette. Kha booom! Love Erik
Attached Thumbnails GT500 in the July Car and Driver-eriksmustang02-.jpg  
Old 6/14/06, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by bob
Easier said than done, the vette is a body on frame car, so to speak. At best you could;
  1. Use thinner glass.
  2. use a steel shell, aluminum doors, aluminum fenders, aluminum hood, aluminum trunk, aluminum cross members, full aluminum suspension, aluminum center section on diff, composit brakes (steel disc/aluminum hat), aluminum seat frames. Reduce rigidiity by using thinner steel and less of it, but save weight
  3. thinner and smaller wiring.
  4. All aluminum engine with lightened components, along with aluminum or carbon fiber driveshaft. or substitute SC'd V4 V8 for 3v all aluminum V10
  5. V6 interior with optional an extensive option list starting with a deleted radio, HVAC, rear window defrost, etc., along with deconteneted interior, rear seat delete, spare delete, delete sound deadening
just use fibre glass for the trunk, hood, doors(yes you can do that!), roof panel, and fenders, use no sound deadening material, use an aluminum block and iron heads, change out the 3.31s for 3.73s or even 4.10s, and to top it off, an aluminum gastank.
that all would lower the weight alot and speed the biatch up.
and offer a GT500 R option, no backseat, no radio, no defrost, no mycolor thingy, no a/c, no covering in the trunk, no back seatbelts, lighter front seats (cobras or recaros), and perhaps eliminate the drive by wire.

Quick Reply: GT500 in the July Car and Driver