GT500 in the July Car and Driver

Search this Thread

Old 5/28/06, 06:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight
why can't you just make everything thats steel in the chassis out of aluminum?
Then it would cost as much as a vette
Old 5/28/06, 06:25 PM
FR500 Member

The only fat it needs is fatter rear tires and maybe a slight step-down in gearing so the rear tires have more of a fighting chance for traction. Definitely a weight reduction needed. Those times look similar to those obtained by HotRod magazine - allegedly done on the sly. If its power/weight ratio is less than the standard C6 Vette, those times wouldn't be surprising.
Old 5/28/06, 08:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Knight
why can't you just make everything thats steel in the chassis out of aluminum?
aluminum welding = $$
Old 5/28/06, 09:58 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm pretty sure the guys who developed the car have sweated the details on weight control, after all, the lighter you can make the car, the better fuel economy it will have. Could they have been obsessive about it? I'm sure they could have, and maybe in an evolutionary manner they can go back and see what and where can lose some weight, but given saftey/reliability/cost concerns this is probably the best compromise. Everybody can point fingers at other cars out there, but I'm pretty sure on the whole, they are more expensive and unfortunately the Shelby is cost constrained (don't believe me, look at all the people complaining about the car coming in at low 40's instead of sub 40's) so again it all leads back to what the best comprimise could be for safety/reliability/cost.

Then again, how bout a quick survey?

How many people would fork over the money for a 70 or 80k msrp mustang that came with the following?

500 to 550 hp 4v SC V8
3200 lbs curb weight (maximum crashworthiness - complete airbag protection, yadda, yadda, yadda)
independant rear suspension
Fully loaded, no options plus stuff that isn't obtainable on the regular mustang (navigation, heads up display, yadda, yadda, yadda or whatever people are clamoring for?)

Is it worth it?
Old 5/29/06, 07:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Aluminum is not as hard/strong as steel, so to get the same rigidity, everything would have to be thicker and require additional reinforcement. Aluminum is also significantly more difficult to weld, especially in in sheet metal thicknesses and it is more prone to fatigue failure than steel. I would agree, some components such as the hood, trunk lid and doors could be aluminum, (Ford did this at least on the first generation Expedition hood) but the unibody would need to be steel. The biggest weight penalty has to be the 5.4 iron block and the supercharger. A lot of weight could have been saved here with an aluminum block, but again, at what cost.

The above listed changes would be great, but you would not get the car for under a 100 grand
Old 5/29/06, 08:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
and where did they get the MSRP from?
Old 5/29/06, 10:56 AM
Bullitt Member

I would agree, some components such as the hood, trunk lid and doors could be aluminum,
The hood is aluminum, so are the heads, rims, radiator, and the 4 piston calipers.
Old 5/29/06, 02:10 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by codeman94
and where did they get the MSRP from?
Which msrp?
Old 5/29/06, 04:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Conventional magazine times mean almost nothing. The same mags (R&T, C&D, Automobile, etc.) were barely able to squeeze low 13's from the '03/4 Cobras, and we all know what crappy performers those turned out to be.
Old 5/29/06, 08:46 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 68notch
Conventional magazine times mean almost nothing. The same mags (R&T, C&D, Automobile, etc.) were barely able to squeeze low 13's from the '03/4 Cobras, and we all know what crappy performers those turned out to be.
C&D actually mentioned that the previous Cobra did a 12.9 by their watch as well. It's not all bad news though, Motor Trend did 12.7 @116 which is a significantly better trap and shows potential for mid-low 12's in stock form.
Old 5/29/06, 09:10 PM
Cobra Member

I guess this will stop the "GT-500 will run with the Z06" people.
Old 5/30/06, 07:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AnotherMustangMan
Just further reinforces my belief that when you get past 300 hp, I would rather lose 50 pounds than gain 10 horsepower.

Of course the aforementioned CAI/pulley/exhaust/tune/DR will do the trick too.
Good point indeed. C & D historically has reported lower ETs for the Fords. Ford Shelby GT500 has a Design basis for a 12.2 ET and 0 - 60 in 4.5. This is prior to the recently divulged revision of the performance numbers to 475/475. Been hearing that the actual hp is at 485 and at month ago; and SVT was not done with the final tuning.

If one could be had for less than 50k, with the upgrades it is set to contain and power, it will be difficult for the other makers to produce a comparable performer for under 70k.
Old 5/30/06, 07:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Stangette
Good point indeed. C & D historically has reported lower ETs for the Fords. Ford Shelby GT500 has a Design basis for a 12.2 ET and 0 - 60 in 4.5. This is prior to the recently divulged revision of the performance numbers to 475/475. Been hearing that the actual hp is at 485 and at month ago; and SVT was not done with the final tuning.

If one could be had for less than 50k, with the upgrades it is set to contain and power, it will be difficult for the other makers to produce a comparable performer for under 70k.
Actually, the GT500 is officially rated at 500HP/480TQ:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=46570
Old 5/30/06, 01:29 PM

C&D, R&T and MT tend not to flog their cars quite so hard as the more hard core drag racing oriented mags like MM&FF. In other words, they tend to use standard tire pressures, no power shifting, going over redline, etc. to squeak out that last .01 sec/mph. Rather, they drive test them much more like the average driver would and probably reflects what most people will reap in terms of numbers. Of course, the strip fanatics will get better times by resorting to the above tactics and really hammering the car.

I did read a bit of a review in the British car mag, Car, on the flight back from Scotland yesterday. Basically liked it, especially for straight line performance, but was not overly impressed by the chassis/handling -- fine on smooth straights and flat sweepers but easily befuddled when the roads threw any challenges at it. But generally pleased with it as long as used in its somewhat constrained niche (smooth, straightish roads and off the line acceleration). Article did make for an interesting outsider's perspective, can't wait for Top Gear to get their hands on one too.
Old 5/30/06, 01:30 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
Just wait. MT will have the GT500 in the 14s and the Challanger in the 10s.

haha that was funny....
Old 5/31/06, 11:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
Article did make for an interesting outsider's perspective, can't wait for Top Gear to get their hands on one too.
Yeah, I cannot wait to see what Clarkson & Co. will say about it!!
Old 5/31/06, 03:43 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by bob
Easier said than done, the vette is a body on frame car, so to speak. At best you could;
  1. Use thinner glass.
  2. use a steel shell, aluminum doors, aluminum fenders, aluminum hood, aluminum trunk, aluminum cross members, full aluminum suspension, aluminum center section on diff, composit brakes (steel disc/aluminum hat), aluminum seat frames. Reduce rigidiity by using thinner steel and less of it, but save weight
  3. thinner and smaller wiring.
  4. All aluminum engine with lightened components, along with aluminum or carbon fiber driveshaft. or substitute SC'd V4 V8 for 3v all aluminum V10
  5. V6 interior with optional an extensive option list starting with a deleted radio, HVAC, rear window defrost, etc., along with deconteneted interior, rear seat delete, spare delete, delete sound deadening
Why not just make the whole thing out of titanium, right? I have a mountain bike that weighs 3 pounds with tires brakes and everything....that should bring the car down to around 2200-2600 lbs.....and it should only cost about $165,000.

I am just glad that there is a 500HP car out there that I can afford on a military salary. It may not be light, but that is where being a good driver helps you overcome any problems that a car may have.
Old 5/31/06, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by TerpGT17
Just saw the times for it over on SVTPerformance. They compared it to a C6 Vette, it went 12.9 @ 112 with a 4.5 second 0-60 run. The Vette did 12.8 @ 113. Is anyone else disappointed with that time? Seing as the old SVT Cobra ran pretty much the same thing and we were promised an upgrade over it? It's not just C&D either, Road and Track did a 13.1 @ 112. I understand that they may not be able to launch the car all that well, but the 112 trapspeed disappoints me. They tested an M6 in the issue that did 12.4 @ 121 and it weighs more than the Shelby. Ah well, may be time to put in a call to Kenne Bell
What a let down!
Old 6/1/06, 07:46 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by n3cr0mncr
Why not just make the whole thing out of titanium, right? I have a mountain bike that weighs 3 pounds with tires brakes and everything....that should bring the car down to around 2200-2600 lbs.....and it should only cost about $165,000.

I am just glad that there is a 500HP car out there that I can afford on a military salary. It may not be light, but that is where being a good driver helps you overcome any problems that a car may have.
I'm sure there are enough greedy dealers out there who would be more than happy to let you pay "only" $165,00 for it - with all the weight included.
Old 6/1/06, 09:12 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by n3cr0mncr
It may not be light, but that is where being a good driver helps you overcome any problems that a car may have.
Please explain. I understand the point about getting that much power for so cheap, but how does being a good driver overcome physics? The lighter the car, the easier it is to acceleration, decelerate and turn. What does driving abilities have to do with that?

I could see where you would need skills to get the most out of the car (feathering the throttle so not to spin the tires exiting a turn, etc.), but you are still going slower because of the weight.

Quick Reply: GT500 in the July Car and Driver