The Ebay Craziness Continues

Search this Thread

Old 6/18/06, 05:07 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Click here

$74,995.00 just to be the first on your block with one of these? How are you going to feel in a year's time when everyone else is picking one up at MSRP?

Old 6/18/06, 05:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

I have been watching ebay. The bids are typically between 10 and 20 over. Most are about 15. Last I looked, only 5 of 18 cars sold. Last week only 3 of 11 had sold. Looks like the current market is 15 over. These buy it now for 75k reserves are targeted too high intentionally. Those dealers are hoping to get buyers to call them and make a deal privately. Some of the knuckleheads will think that they got a good deal when they "only" pay 65k for it. I'll be glad when this hype is over.
Old 6/18/06, 02:54 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I'll be glad when this hype is over.
That makes two of us. It'll be fun to walk into dealerships in eight to ten months when the Shelbys are just sitting on lots...with a big knowing smirk on one's face. When you go over and look at the Shelby, the salesman will all be lined up looking at you like this:

And you'll be like this:

Then like this:
Old 6/18/06, 04:14 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I have been watching ebay. The bids are typically between 10 and 20 over. Most are about 15. Last I looked, only 5 of 18 cars sold...

Instead of just talking about it, how about if we provide some constructive assistance?

We need to start placing bids and help the sellers get as much as possible. Screw the buyers!

Old 6/18/06, 08:52 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, so much for trying to get people to refuse to play by the dealers' rules.
Old 6/19/06, 12:12 PM
Cobra Member

I would love to know how many of those successful eBay deals are actually followed through on. Ebay Motors is notorious for having buyers default on deals. I've run 3 auctions on there myself and had 1 buyer default (and he had perfect feedback!). I suspect a lot of those buyers are getting caught up in the dream of owning a Shelby, but when it comes to actually sending a deposit they probably forget where they left their checkbook
Old 6/19/06, 06:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tres Wright
I would love to know how many of those successful eBay deals are actually followed through on. Ebay Motors is notorious for having buyers default on deals. I've run 3 auctions on there myself and had 1 buyer default (and he had perfect feedback!). I suspect a lot of those buyers are getting caught up in the dream of owning a Shelby, but when it comes to actually sending a deposit they probably forget where they left their checkbook
All one has to do, is to click on the link in the lefthand column on any item that one were to search for. Just click on completed auctions. Once you see all the cars that were technically sold, go to feedback. If both the seller of the car, AND the buyer both leave each other feedback, then you know the deal went through. Tres, you are so right, about how many car sales fall through. If I'm not mistaked though, there is sort of a buffer, that once you see the car, and its not at all like the listing showed, you can still pull out of the deal, with no threat of consequences.
Old 6/19/06, 08:27 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
$74,995.00 just to be the first on your block with one of these?
PURE INSANITY!
Old 6/19/06, 10:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
If I'm not mistaked though, there is sort of a buffer, that once you see the car, and its not at all like the listing showed, you can still pull out of the deal, with no threat of consequences.
Yes, I think you're right about that. I've posted two motorcycles and a car on there. The car went fine and one of the motorcycles went fine. The other motorcycle, well this really chaps me about eBay, just listen to this. You pay a listing fee as soon as you place the ad. If the auction concludes successfully (reserve was met or you had at least one bid on a no-reserve auction) then you get tagged again. So I'm out 80 bucks on this motorcycle auction, and the a-hole buyer never responds to any of my emails. I manage to get his work phone number and call it, I get his secretary. He owns a company for crying out loud, and he's dodging a 2200 buck winning bid he placed on an auction. She explains that it was probably just a misunderstanding, he's a motorcycle collector and buys them all the time, and he is coming down the hall now and hold while I transfer you! I hear her in the background telling him who I am and he says "Oh, OK!" As cheery as can be. Then he goes into his office, she transfers him and he promptly hangs up on me. So I contact eBay to get my money back. Their policy is I have to give him 10 days to respond, and then I have to file a complaint, then they send him an email and I have to wait ANOTHER 10 days just to get half my fee back! What a load! I can't even leave the guy negative feedback because he'll do the same on me, and I have more to lose (350 feedback rating versus his 12). It just irks me that someone would bid on something and then just blow it off like that, but more than that it really drives me bats that eBay keeps half the fee no matter what. Anyway, I didn't wait the 20 days to repost it because I needed to sell it right away. I ended up getting an offer for the same price, so it was a sort-of happy ending. But it just goes to show how slippery eBay Motors is.
Old 6/20/06, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
Yes, I think you're right about that. I've posted two motorcycles and a car on there. The car went fine and one of the motorcycles went fine. The other motorcycle, well this really chaps me about eBay, just listen to this. You pay a listing fee as soon as you place the ad. If the auction concludes successfully (reserve was met or you had at least one bid on a no-reserve auction) then you get tagged again. So I'm out 80 bucks on this motorcycle auction, and the a-hole buyer never responds to any of my emails. I manage to get his work phone number and call it, I get his secretary. He owns a company for crying out loud, and he's dodging a 2200 buck winning bid he placed on an auction. She explains that it was probably just a misunderstanding, he's a motorcycle collector and buys them all the time, and he is coming down the hall now and hold while I transfer you! I hear her in the background telling him who I am and he says "Oh, OK!" As cheery as can be. Then he goes into his office, she transfers him and he promptly hangs up on me. So I contact eBay to get my money back. Their policy is I have to give him 10 days to respond, and then I have to file a complaint, then they send him an email and I have to wait ANOTHER 10 days just to get half my fee back! What a load! I can't even leave the guy negative feedback because he'll do the same on me, and I have more to lose (350 feedback rating versus his 12). It just irks me that someone would bid on something and then just blow it off like that, but more than that it really drives me bats that eBay keeps half the fee no matter what. Anyway, I didn't wait the 20 days to repost it because I needed to sell it right away. I ended up getting an offer for the same price, so it was a sort-of happy ending. But it just goes to show how slippery eBay Motors is.
You'll get your money back. After EBay has completed its formal Complaint Process you'll be able to give the lowlife a Negative Feedback and he will be Blocked from doing the same for You.
Old 6/20/06, 01:41 AM

Click here

$74,995.00 just to be the first on your block with one of these? How are you going to feel in a year's time when everyone else is picking one up at MSRP?

You live in BC. Why would you have to pay above MSRP?
Most Canadian Dealers are only tagging on an extra $500 to $1000 'SVT Charge', whatever that really is!
Old 6/25/06, 09:12 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by 07 Shelby
You live in BC. Why would you have to pay above MSRP?
I wouldn't have to. I'm just feelin' the hurt for our American cousins to the south.
Old 6/25/06, 09:20 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

I don't see much movement anymore.