Dialogue with a Salsesperson!!! Last to first..

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/06, 02:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My two cents,when the boss comes out in 2008 the shelby could be bought below sticker. The used ones will be in the 30's. They been doing this stuff forever the result is always the same. What happen to me. 1970 wanted to buy a boss429 mustang everyone wanted sticker +. $5200.00 sept 1971 bought one used $2850.00 and they were glad to sell it. Ford is in it to sell cars if the market is there that what their going to do. If your on this webb site you know theirs hype why would you beleive a car sales guy who is told to sell the hype!!! In2005 same thing over sticker in 2006 below sticker 0 percent 72.mo. Something to think about before they let all those oil company's merg gas was .99 cents a gallon
Old 10/11/06, 10:08 PM
Cobra Member

you people make me sad. Dont hate the salesguy, "hate" his general manager. My GM turned down an offer of $70k from my customer who was very willing to shell out the cash for our Black on Black Coupe.

Whatever...

-Dan
Old 10/12/06, 05:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cleveland
you people make me sad. Dont hate the salesguy, "hate" his general manager. My GM turned down an offer of $70k from my customer who was very willing to shell out the cash for our Black on Black Coupe.

Whatever...

-Dan
Dan,

Our hate is not necessarily directed at the salesman. Unfortunately, we kinda view the salesman as the dealership and blame them for the problem. When I badmouth the salesman, I am actually talking about whoever is responsible at the dealership (GM, owner or whoever).

The only time I have a prob with the salesman is when they try to feed us a line of BS. Just 3 or 4 weeks ago I was at a dealership. I was looking at a Roush Stage 3. I mentioned that I was waiting on the Shelby. He told me that the Shelby was only going to be made for 1 year and they were only going to make 3000. It was obvious he was trying to steer me away from the Shelby to buy his Roush. When I told him I knew the car was being made at 8-10k/year and for at least 2 years, he told me that those were just internet rumors and they were untrue. Rather than make a stink of it, I just left. I called SVT on the way home and they confirmed 8-10K for "at least" 2 years.
Old 10/14/06, 12:28 PM
Cobra Member

From the dealership side of things, you definitely were the instigator IMHO. The Shelby IS a limited production vehicle, just as the Cobra, Mach I, Bullitt, HD F-150, etc. While the intent of the message could be argued, no misinformation was given. Facts are facts: presently, the car is in high demand and fetching well over MSRP. I don't blame him for getting a little touchy. I would just as readily defend myself (and have done so) from such an "attack". I personally, having been in the business for 9+ years, would not try to SELL someone this car @ $20000 over MSRP because I wouldn't pay it either. However, if and when a customer inquires about one and is willing to pay $XXXXX for it, we will not turn it down, nor would any sane person. Any friend or fellow Mustang Club member who has asked me about the car and pricing has been told what most on this board believe; wait a little while for the people with too much money to get theirs.

Unfortunately there are ALOT of uninformed and uneducated salespeople out there which make the average ones seem bad and the good ones seem average by association.

[rant] Why do people think that threatening a dealer does any good? 99% of dealers will sell the Shel's over MSRP, so telling one you will take your business elsewhere is somewhat of an empty threat. Instead try attempting to connect with a decent knowledgable salesperson who has been at the dealership for an extended period of time and have them inform you when they are willing to accept your offer and stay in contact with them. I currently have several previous contacts waiting for such news, and when the time comes I will begin contacting them.[/rant]

Good luck with getting the car you want at a price you feel is fair. That's all anyone can ask for.
Old 10/14/06, 12:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Cleveland

Whatever...

-Dan
Is your customer still in the market? For $70k we would fly them out and pay you a healthy bird dog.
Old 10/14/06, 11:14 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by PACETTR
From the dealership side of things, you definitely were the instigator IMHO. The Shelby IS a limited production vehicle, just as the Cobra, However, if and when a customer inquires about one and is willing to pay $XXXXX for it, we will not turn it down, nor would any sane person. Any friend or fellow Mustang Club member who has asked me about the car and pricing has been told what most on this board believe; wait a little while for the people with too much money to get theirs.

Unfortunately there are ALOT of uninformed and uneducated salespeople out there which make the average ones seem bad and the good ones seem average by association.

Instead try attempting to connect with a decent knowledgable salesperson who has been at the dealership for an extended period of time and have them inform you when they are willing to accept your offer and stay in contact with them. I currently have several previous contacts waiting for such news, and when the time comes I will begin contacting them.

Good luck with getting the car you want at a price you feel is fair. That's all anyone can ask for.
Me thinks its time for a little history lesson. http://media.ford.com/newsroom/featu...?release=21205

And I would like to qualify it by saying that most sales-people who spend time on an enthusiast board, UNDERSTAND the point this article WAS(yes, it has passed) meant to convey. I also submit that because of the program as it is now, and the loss of an integrated team(SVT) ,there is a disconnect between Ford and VALUED customers, who are EXPECTED to pay a premium for a vehicle.

"While SVT products add to the company's bottom line, Hau Thai-Tang, director of Advanced Product Creation and SVT, agrees that their true value extends beyond direct profits.
"The experience extends beyond just products," said Thai-Tang. "It includes an enhanced sales and service experience to meet discriminating demands of enthusiast customers. It also includes the SVT Owner's Association, which organizes club shows and track events."
"We don't want 15 minutes of fame," he said. "Just like Ford is a family company, we're bringing enthusiasts in and making them part of our family."
Once again, image is everything."

At this time, which part of the experiance has let it's side down?
Old 10/24/06, 10:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PACETTR
Instead try attempting to connect with a decent knowledgable salesperson who has been at the dealership for an extended period of time and have them inform you when they are willing to accept your offer and stay in contact with them. I currently have several previous contacts waiting for such news, and when the time comes I will begin contacting them.[/rant]

Very Familiar. These Clients will get the best price and the same Product by Patience and Working with their chosen dealer. Props to these guys for sure.

With the Free Market, though, a Fair Price is what the Majority is willing to pay for a given Item.

It is best to present the options. Shelby or Roush, in this case. It is up to the Client to decide their Purchase. That is not a forgotten Fact.

My responsability comes in educating them, helping them find a Product to suit their needs, and at the best price. Once lost a sale outright to a Competitor with a typified lower price (but less optioned vehicle);- but two Family Members of the Gentlemen arrived at my Shop the next day. Purchased from us having just visited the Competitor and it was not all about the price with them. Two weeks later, a Brother-in-Law of the Original Guy arrived in, asked for the same Associate straight away & purchased a Diesel F150!

Having worked in the business informally for only a year and as a side hobby to my Engineering Career, i can tell you there is a lot of work to earn great Customer Relations. As odd as it might sound, IMHO, just tell the truth. I might lose the sale, yes, but in the long run, the Good Reputation of the Shop will make up for it in word of mouth and in Customer Loyalty.
Old 10/24/06, 10:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JETSOLVER

And I would like to qualify it by saying that most sales-people who spend time on an enthusiast board, UNDERSTAND the point this article WAS(yes, it has passed) meant to convey. I also submit that because of the program as it is now, and the loss of an integrated team(SVT) ,there is a disconnect between Ford and VALUED customers, who are EXPECTED to pay a premium for a vehicle.

"While SVT products add to the company's bottom line, Hau Thai-Tang, director of Advanced Product Creation and SVT, agrees that their true value extends beyond direct profits.
"The experience extends beyond just products," said Thai-Tang. "It includes an enhanced sales and service experience to meet discriminating demands of enthusiast customers. It also includes the SVT Owner's Association, which organizes club shows and track events."
"We don't want 15 minutes of fame," he said. "Just like Ford is a family company, we're bringing enthusiasts in and making them part of our family."
Once again, image is everything."

At this time, which part of the experiance has let it's side down?
Yes, almost like Ford had left it up to the individual Dealerships to take on this Responsibility Themselves. Our Dealership, for example, hosts the SVT Events, etc. pays for the concessions, etc. We encourage participation and welcome the feedback as well. Many Larger Dealers that are SVT and Roush, typically, are having staff available for this reason. To work with the Enthuiast Client, on an advanced knowledge level and serve their needs in a way that some Sales Representatives may not.
Old 11/5/06, 05:01 PM
GT Member

Here is an all too familiar story:

Found a GT500 at PACIFIC FORD of long beach alloy with silver stripes window sticker was 45060. So I requested a price quote. Instead of the sales person e-mailing me he called not a problem, he told me that the car had not been delivered as of yet and that we could work a deal over the phone so that when it comes in it’s sold to me. I asked him what the bottom line was and he told me that the red and white one that they just got the day before they were asking 20K over and that the vert just sold on e-bay for 35K over to a man in Germany, told him that at this time because of financing that paying over would be impossible for me and asked if they would sell at MSRP. He told me that he would ask the owner and let me know the outcome the next day. I did not hear form him and I e-mailed him back, asking what he had found out. I also got a call from the dealership to set up an appointment with the business manager no other sales person. So I set up the appointment for Monday at 445pm, they call it a VIP appointment. So today I get a response back form him saying that at this time the owner did not want to sell at MSRP and they had received an offer for 10k over and was kicked back from Detroit.

I am calling the BS flag on this guy, that Detroit would not take an offer for any thing at MSRP or over.

So I emailed the guy back and told him that I wanted to cancel my appointment for Monday.

Guess I will just keep waiting.
Old 11/5/06, 05:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by sviper
I am calling the BS flag on this guy, that Detroit would not take an offer for any thing at MSRP or over.
Total BS. Detroit has nothing to do with how a dealership prices their inventory.
Old 11/6/06, 06:06 AM
GT Member

That is what I thought too, unless their owner is in Detroit, and they are saying that Detroit is the causeality. It is my understanding that all Detroit is worried about is selling a vehicle at MSRP all overage goes to the dealers pocket.

On a previous trip to this dealer I asked a sales person about commision, he told me that for instance if he were to sell a mustang at X price he would only get X commision ( would not tell me exactly what the commision was and didn't aske either), and I asked him that if he were to sell a GT500 for lets say 20K over would his commision go up, and he told me that X was the only commision that he would get nothing extra so whather it is sold for MSRP or above that his commision would be the same. In response to that I asked him "then what is your motivation for selling a vehicle for over MSRP" and asked him to be honest about it. He told me there was no motivation to sell over MSRP.
Old 11/6/06, 08:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

That is what I thought too, unless their owner is in Detroit, and they are saying that Detroit is the causeality. It is my understanding that all Detroit is worried about is selling a vehicle at MSRP all overage goes to the dealers pocket.

On a previous trip to this dealer I asked a sales person about commision, he told me that for instance if he were to sell a mustang at X price he would only get X commision ( would not tell me exactly what the commision was and didn't aske either), and I asked him that if he were to sell a GT500 for lets say 20K over would his commision go up, and he told me that X was the only commision that he would get nothing extra so whather it is sold for MSRP or above that his commision would be the same. In response to that I asked him "then what is your motivation for selling a vehicle for over MSRP" and asked him to be honest about it. He told me there was no motivation to sell over MSRP.
Alot of dealers will cap the amount they pay their salespeople for cars that are sold over MSRP. Take a look at the Ford GT. When that came out, they were going for close to $250K. Most places, what I hear, won't pay the saleperson on the markup. They will pay a flat amount.
Old 11/6/06, 09:59 AM
GT Member

So the qustion would be: Why would you sell a vehicle for over MSRP if there is nothing to gain for yourself?

Same dealer has had four GT500's
1. White vert - sold same day it came in MSRP no up cahrge
2. Red vert - sold on e-bay 35K over to a man in Germany
3. Red coupe - asking 20K over
4. Alloy coupe - asking 20K over

Neither of the coupes will the dealer budge on.
Old 11/6/06, 12:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Alot of dealers will cap the amount they pay their salespeople for cars that are sold over MSRP. Take a look at the Ford GT. When that came out, they were going for close to $250K. Most places, what I hear, won't pay the saleperson on the markup. They will pay a flat amount.
Yes, this is how it is in the majority of cases. In a way, it keeps the Salesmen from being as motivated as they can be with regards to selling the Inventory.
Old 11/9/06, 07:14 PM
GT Member

So they keep calling me and I don't answer the phone now. I thing if they call back I will answer and tell them that I WILL NOT do business with a dealership that promotes lying by their sales persons.
And if they ask me how I know a sales person lied, I will reply that Detroit does not make the final decision on what a car goes for, all the guy had to do is tell me that the owner was not willing to sell for MSRP, and not make up something about them having an offer for 10K over and Detroit turning it down.
The only thing that I was thinking was that the person that made the offer of 10K over was going to finance the whole thing and the finance department at Detroit declined. Am I wrong in thinking this?
Old 11/10/06, 04:55 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
... I WILL NOT do business with a dealership that promotes lying...

Buying used cars from private parties is not that bad.