Cost of GT500 in 3 years

Search this Thread

Old 5/21/08, 01:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this will be commonplace with all muscle cars. Many people are having a tough time with the lousy economy and gas prices rising nearly daily doesn't help when we are talking about gas guzzlers. I love the GT500 and the current Mustang but I have a feeling that the next full makeover of the Mustang will have to be much smaller and less powerful to survive in the automotive market.........our cars will soon become relics like the old 60s era muscle cars
Old 5/21/08, 05:10 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
... I have a feeling that the next full makeover of the Mustang will have to be much smaller and less powerful to survive in the automotive market...
And the next special edition is... THE MUSTANG GHIA!!!!!!!!!!

Old 5/21/08, 05:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
I think this will be commonplace with all muscle cars. Many people are having a tough time with the lousy economy and gas prices rising nearly daily doesn't help when we are talking about gas guzzlers. I love the GT500 and the current Mustang but I have a feeling that the next full makeover of the Mustang will have to be much smaller and less powerful to survive in the automotive market.........our cars will soon become relics like the old 60s era muscle cars
Well since I have lived though the 60's and 70's during the muscle car era I don't agree they won't survive. I own a 70 Mach1. It sits in the garage most of the time and get out only on sunny days. I probably only run 2 tanks of gas thru it in a year. Back in 1974 my wife and I bought a 1974 Mustang II. It was in the middle of the gas wars and rationing. It had a 2.3 4 banger with no power at all...but it was still a Stang. Just stay true to your roots....they will survive. People like us will make sure of that. This is not the first energy crisis you know. We are just not sure yet in what shape they will be in when all the dust settles.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails Cost of GT500 in 3 years-my-babies.jpg  

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 5/21/08 at 05:27 PM.
Old 5/21/08, 05:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice stable Scott. I esp. like the '70 Mach. My older brother had one when we were growing up.
Old 5/21/08, 06:58 PM

Crazyhorse...I agree with your last two posts...I don't care where gas goes either. I am not selling my car and I don't drive it much so the insurance is a bigger dent to my wallet than gasoline ever will be.
The $38,000 price for a 2007 car is right on..it's a 20% depreciation on a car that is almost 2 model years old...
As I have said in the earlier post, people will begin dumping low mileage [read: gas guzzling] cars if they have bought them for daily drivers or have enough coins of the realm that they don't really care about a loss of a few thousands of dollars....These are current model cars and they won't hold their value any better than anything else..It's simply supply and demand..
I bet Ford changes their producton numbers on 2009's as gas creeps past $4.50 a gallon nationwide for premium. maybe cut it in half or more...Hurray for us then.
People get bored pretty fast with hi performance cars...that's part of the equation too.
Old 5/21/08, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by clinck
... People get bored pretty fast with hi performance cars...that's part of the equation too.
That can be true for those who bought a GT500 because of the novelty. For those who have waited years for a Mustang with the combination of design and performance the GT500 is a keeper.
Old 5/22/08, 03:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
For those who have waited years for a Mustang with the combination of design and performance the GT500 is a keeper.
Amen, Brutha! The wait was way too long for me. They are going to have to pry the keys from my rigor mortis clenched fingers.

Chris,

I don't expect miracles from this car. I expect it to depreciate. I just don't expect it too quickly. These cars are just hitting MSRP at the dealers. It took 2 years to get there.

There is really nothing else like it out there (aside from the more expensive Roush and Saleen cars). The car is a performance bargain at $45k.

The 2008 model year is almost over and the 2009 model will be a short run. They won't be making too many more of these.

The typical buyer is fairly wealthy (they were the ones paying the ADMs). I don't think they will NEED to sell them due to gas prices.

Unless Ford brings an SVT model out right away, I think it will hold its value longer than the average car.

Maybe just optimism on my part, but, I think they will still be fairly hard to get. I also think the Terms will hold fairly well. The guys looking for performance in the 20s will be snatching those up.
Old 5/22/08, 04:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
And the next special edition is... THE MUSTANG GHIA!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not saying we have to return to the Mustang II days but the current gen car is pretty bloated. I'm thinking they should trim the next gen car down to the size of a fox body car.

On a side note, I agree with the above posts that it will obviously hold it's value over the lesser GT model but it's still not a vintage Shelby..... I have a neighbor who has a 07' GT500 that he paid 75k for and he's calling me crazy for thinking i can get a used one for about $40,000 some people are just paranoid and it kinda upsets me when people who own these cars don't want anybody else to have them. Ford obviously was very successful bringing this car to market but even at MSRP I think this car is a tad expensive........ I've always been a Ford guy but the more I think about it the more a C6 Vette sounds more attractive. I personally could care less how rare or how much my car stands out, but I guess thats just me.
Old 5/22/08, 04:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

They said all this same things in the mid 70's gas is to high ,insurance is going up their again trying to justifie what their doing? If the people complain to much the oil company will create a shortage like in the 70's witch was B/s and their blaming it on demand today. If history is going to repeat as soon as the car companies start to bring green cars to the market cheap , all the sudden oil will come down and it will be cheaper to buy gas than to buy lith, batt. Gasoline almost a by product of a barrel of oil and their selling it at a record profit. An oil company make a profit on every step of a barrel of oil from exploation and extraction ,transpertation, refinning, marketing,and retail. we won't get into fee and land and rent credit card fees,francise fee and the list goes on? They never talk about the kick backs from opec and others? I may just be venting but if I bought their b/s back in the 70s I would have sold my Boss a hundred times. This latest oil thing is driven by the future market ? Ask any future trader. This kinda reminds me of when the Hunt brother tried this with silver. get more people to buy into it and get out before it burst. This also happen with .com? This is my oppinion but I thing the futures players are the oil company's and opec. No wonder their no love lose between the car company's and big oil. This is not ment to start anything It's is just this guy oppinion. I wouldn't sell my car cause of this,I know it look bad but it's been worse their were huge line in the 70s their was rationing in the 30 or 40. Yes their alot more players today but their also more players working on the solution. IMO
Old 5/25/08, 09:36 PM
V6 Member

38k is only about 3k below sticker isn't it? Not many vehicles can stay that close to MSRP after 3700 miles and 2 model years.
Old 5/26/08, 02:49 PM

Below invoice.
Old 6/1/08, 11:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This one is for sale for an asking price of $39,000

This one is for sale for an asking price of $39,000

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/car/703996502.html

2007 Ford Shelby GT500 - $39000 (Buckley/Bonney Lake)
Reply to: sale-703996502@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-06-01, 5:13PM PDT

For sale is a 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 with only 900 miles! Car is always garaged, has never been driven in the rain, and has never even had to be washed! Asking price is $39,000. E-mail for further questions.

* This item has been posted by-owner.
* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 703996502
Old 6/4/08, 03:10 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by Dad's72Mach
38k is only about 3k below sticker isn't it? Not many vehicles can stay that close to MSRP after 3700 miles and 2 model years.
Depends on how you look at it. If you consider the average ADM was $25k when they launched in 06, the car has suffered over a 50% depreciation. Depreciation is calculated from purchase price, not MSRP. People who paid $75,000 for their 07's have eaten $35,000 in depreciation in less than 2 years.

The fact is the average sale price nas nearly halved in two years.

Last edited by eci; 6/4/08 at 03:12 PM.
Old 6/18/08, 05:55 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by eci
Depends on how you look at it. If you consider the average ADM was $25k when they launched in 06, the car has suffered over a 50% depreciation. Depreciation is calculated from purchase price, not MSRP. People who paid $75,000 for their 07's have eaten $35,000 in depreciation in less than 2 years.

The fact is the average sale price nas nearly halved in two years.
People who paid $75,000 weren't making a very intelligent descision and deserve to lose their shirts. You can average things out as any way you want but by your logic since I see used GT500's with more miles than mine at original MSRP then my car has appreciated.
Old 6/19/08, 09:44 AM

People who paid $75,000 weren't making a very intelligent descision and deserve to lose their shirts. You can average things out as any way you want but by your logic since I see used GT500's with more miles than mine at original MSRP then my car has appreciated.
"People who paid MSRP weren't making a very intelligent decision and deserve to lose their shirts"
Geez, where did you go to school?? It doesn't look like they taught you to spell, let alone Mathematics! Do you really have your head that buried in the sand??? A GT500 appreciating in value??? Do you actually "Read" any of these post's on this forum, related to this subject?? Many people are realistic that the market is going "Down" on these cars, as well as many other overpriced cars in the market! "WAKE UP DUDE" and maybe lay off the Moonshine for awhile to come to your senses!!!
Put your car on the market and see how much you actually sell it for?? My guess would be a $10k loss! Look up "Appreciation" in the dictionary!
Old 6/19/08, 06:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1960apache, please refrain from remarks directed exclusively at fellow forum members; they can be interpreted as personal attacks and will not be tolerated.

Thanks.
Old 6/27/08, 08:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Buy from a private seller, not a dealer. That is where you get GT500's at depreciated value.

Dealership price = depreciated value + mark up
Old 7/1/08, 04:11 PM
eci
Banned

Illogical thought.

The car has depreciated to HALF it's average sale price in 2 years. Using MSRP is REACHING.
Old 7/1/08, 04:12 PM
eci
Banned

Awesome thread!
Old 7/2/08, 08:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by eci
Illogical thought.

The car has depreciated to HALF it's average sale price in 2 years. Using MSRP is REACHING.
I wouldn't call it depreciation. The average selling price was way over inflated by the sucker/gotta have it tax. The people who paid that knew they were never gonna recoupe that money. It hasn't depreciated as much as the market has just corrected.

Based on MSRP, this car is holding very well.

Quick Reply: Cost of GT500 in 3 years