Cost of GT500 in 3 years

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/08, 07:52 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost of GT500 in 3 years

I'm thinking ahead here...what do you think the price of the 07's and 08's will be in three years. I know that you can get an '04 Termi for about $25-$30K right now and I was wondering what the price would be for a GT500 in a couple of years. I prefer the GT500 to the Terminator (they are both awesome and would love to own either) so I'd like to hold off and purchase a 500 once the craze dies down (and the price follows too). What do you think?
Old 5/6/08, 08:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most people payed low to mid 30s for the Terms to begin with. If you consider that the cars are 4 and 5 years old now and still holding just below the price they sold for, then you can expect the GT500s to hold close to the 35-40 range.

That all depends on what Ford does with the next generation Mustang. If they do not offer an SVT version for a while, the GT500 prices will stabilize or even go up. IF they offer one right away and it is better than the GT500 (especially if it says S-H-E-L-B-Y on the trunk), then the price should fall softly.

My personal opinion is that the GT500s will be about 40ish in 3 years as Ford will slightly delay the release of the next Shelby and the dealers will hold out for high ADMs at first. Hopefully the collector wannabes won't go ape-poop over the next one and prices will normalize faster than they did for the '07-'09.

Last edited by crazyhorse; 5/6/08 at 08:56 PM.
Old 5/7/08, 09:18 PM

With all due respect for Mr Shelby in his advanced years...Wil htere be a market for the Shelby name when he's gone...I mean, can Ford advance the Shelby brand if he's not there to have his picture taken with the cars....I donno....just curious...Maybe the Phenom is over with his passing...
Old 5/8/08, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by clinck
With all due respect for Mr Shelby in his advanced years...Wil htere be a market for the Shelby name when he's gone...I mean, can Ford advance the Shelby brand if he's not there to have his picture taken with the cars....I donno....just curious...Maybe the Phenom is over with his passing...
That's an excellent question that I have also asked myself. Can FORD legitimately use the SHELBY name when he is gone? And how will that effect the value of all SHELBY branded vehicles?
Old 5/8/08, 04:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 08 Shelby
That's an excellent question that I have also asked myself. Can FORD legitimately use the SHELBY name when he is gone? And how will that effect the value of all SHELBY branded vehicles?
I suspect this may make the late 60 Shelbys and current run of Shelby cars slightly more valuable than designs that come out after his death, even if the posthumous cars have his name on them. Just my 2cents.
Old 5/8/08, 05:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

I bet Ford would say he contributed to them anyway before he died.
Old 5/9/08, 03:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I personally think the Terminator prices stayed so high becuase of the demand on them. I think the GT500 ADMs were keeping those car's value high becuase people who wanted fast mustangs but did not want to pay the ADM for a GT500 were buying them.
Old 5/14/08, 11:55 AM
eci
Banned

Anyone been keeping up with current events? Used car prices are in the toilet, including terminators. You can get < 10k mile 04's for less than $25k now with ease.

In 3 years from now ( 2011 ), I'd put a 25k mile 07 GT500 at $30k or less.

People need to remember that S197 GT500's are already more common than terminators. When 09 production ends, there will be roughly 7,000 more of them in total. They are not rare cars, and will not hold value as well as people expect. They won't depreciate as fast as a Mustang GT, sure. But don't expect miracles.

Last edited by eci; 5/14/08 at 11:56 AM.
Old 5/14/08, 02:28 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by eci
... You can get < 10k mile 04's for less than $25k now with ease.

In 3 years from now ( 2011 ), I'd put a 25k mile 07 GT500 at $30k or less...
Considering many of those '04 Cobras had a combined (discount and rebate) $5K off the $36K MSRP, your analogy and prediction are flawed.

It has taken two years for the GT500 to be sold occasionally at MSRP. I had a '04 Cobra and loved it but it is nowhere near the GT500. Not even close.
Old 5/15/08, 05:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by eci
Anyone been keeping up with current events? Used car prices are in the toilet, including terminators. You can get < 10k mile 04's for less than $25k now with ease.

People need to remember that S197 GT500's are already more common than terminators. When 09 production ends, there will be roughly 7,000 more of them in total. They are not rare cars, and will not hold value as well as people expect. They won't depreciate as fast as a Mustang GT, sure. But don't expect miracles.
Most people paid little more than 30 for thier Terms. Considering that it is 4 or 5 years later, 25 is a strong price for those cars.

GT500s are still going for over sticker in some places. I don't know of any that are below sticker. Most are paying 48-50 (options and small ADMs) for coupes. I don't see them under 35 for a few years. Gas prices may hurt them some. The next gen Mustang will be the real factor. IF it is a better car and comes out right away, the GT500s will fall a little faster. If there is delay in releasing the SVT version, GT500s will hold longer. If they don't call it a Shelby, the GT500s will hold value longer. Agree with it or not, a lot of people are buying this car because it says Shelby on the trunk. When they quit doing that and/or when Carroll dies, the cars will surge again.
Old 5/16/08, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
...or when Carroll dies...
One sure thing about his legacy, it'll undoubtebly be synonymous with money.

Last edited by 1 COBRA; 5/16/08 at 03:18 PM.
Old 5/17/08, 09:49 AM
Cobra R Member

I love the GT500 but with gas prices, bad economy and now competition creeping up I think the GT500 prices will fall a little quicker then the 03-04 Cobras. I think a huge part of the reason why the Terminators stood in such high demand is because Ford waited until the summer of 06' to give us an SVT version of the s197! The GT500 didn't come out until the third model year, and were almost impossible to find even with ADMs! I agree that if we have to wait until 12' or 13' for the next SVT then the current GT500 will hold it's value but I have a feeling that Ford will release it along with the GT and base models (photos of test mules of v6/GT/GT500 driving around). Ford will probably be in more of a rush to compete with the SRT8 and SS versions of the competition. Also speculation has the next gen GT to have a 400HP motor and much less weight, probably about as fast as the current GT500 (thats what happened in 99' when the GT was about as fast as the last gen SVT). I guess this is all speculation but this is my best guess on what will happen (hope i'm right i'd love to add a GT500 to the current stable )
Old 5/17/08, 01:53 PM

My thoughts are the '60s Shelbys, the BOSS, and a couple of other models have appraised in value because of nostalgia, great design, and fantastic sound not because of reliability or comfort. Besides, as far as handling is concerned they were all a bunch of cows and hot as hell.

The present generation GT500 has none of the negatives and all the positives of the classics therefore the prices should hold regardless of the state of the economy or gas prices. The exception will be personal reasons or situations for having a need to sell in which that will surely be a bargain for the buyers.
Old 5/17/08, 11:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
hope i'm right i'd love to add a GT500 to the current stable )
I hope you get the chance. These cars are awesome. I got a chance to take mine out and stretch her legs tonight. If they make the next gen. GT as fast as this GT500, I cannot imagine what the next SVT will be like.

Last edited by crazyhorse; 5/17/08 at 11:23 PM.
Old 5/18/08, 07:54 AM
Cobra R Member

I agree that these cars are far more complete than the originals (my father has an original 70' Boss 302, I was surprised by the poor performance). But I don't think that the car being more complete overall will make a difference when it comes to gas prices hitting $4.00 a gallon.

I also feel that GT500s are not particularly rare, compared to all other SVT Cobras from 93-04 this generation has been the most highly produced. The other key issue I personally see is that the GT500 is not in a performance class of it's own for the price point. The older SVT Cobras used to provide the best performance you could get in that price range. Cars like the Corvette and M3 will outperform the GT500 within the same price range and now with a new Camaro coming out there is even more options to choose from. I guess time will tell what happens with the value of these cars. I must admit after driving one I have had a great desire to own one or maybe a C6 Vette or an M3 whichever one has the lower value when i'm ready to buy one in a couple years. Either way I hope you guys enjoy your rides, a couple years back I would have never imagined Ford making a 500HP Mustang from the factory!
Old 5/19/08, 07:05 PM

As far as value goes...it's a coin toss as to where the prices are heading except we know that they are going south. the question is how fast are they heading south. I am old enough to have owned muscle cars in the 60's and 70's and when the oil disruptions of the early 70's took place and gas and insurnace shot up, these cars were given away to get them off the dealer lots.
Gas is going up. It's going up until your wallet bleeds. My advise is drive your cars, drive em fast and hard like they were built for and create some good memories for yourself. Performance cars aren't going away for everyone...just the average folks that can't burn 50 bucks up in exhuast fumes for the hell of it on a Saturday afternoon.
Camaro's and Challenger SRT8's are a day late and a dollar short arriving to the dance in 2008-2009. Only the "few" are going to pay big bucks for cars that get 16 miles per gallon "IF" you stay off the throttle..With gas rapidly approaching $5.00 a gallon in some places and "coming to a theatre near you" real soon it seems that the jury has already cast its' votes for the second time on our beloved cars again.
As I said, muscle cars are not going away for the rich and famous..just us Joe Blows.
It's one man's opinion and not worth more than the words printed on a page....for what it's worth. as they say. I am not pessimist...just observing thru the rear view mirror of history.
Old 5/19/08, 07:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by clinck
As far as value goes...it's a coin toss as to where the prices are heading except we know that they are going south. the question is how fast are they heading south. I am old enough to have owned muscle cars in the 60's and 70's and when the oil disruptions of the early 70's took place and gas and insurnace shot up, these cars were given away to get them off the dealer lots.
Gas is going up. It's going up until your wallet bleeds. My advise is drive your cars, drive em fast and hard like they were built for and create some good memories for yourself. Performance cars aren't going away for everyone...just the average folks that can't burn 50 bucks up in exhuast fumes for the hell of it on a Saturday afternoon.
Camaro's and Challenger SRT8's are a day late and a dollar short arriving to the dance in 2008-2009. Only the "few" are going to pay big bucks for cars that get 16 miles per gallon "IF" you stay off the throttle..With gas rapidly approaching $5.00 a gallon in some places and "coming to a theatre near you" real soon it seems that the jury has already cast its' votes for the second time on our beloved cars again.
As I said, muscle cars are not going away for the rich and famous..just us Joe Blows.
It's one man's opinion and not worth more than the words printed on a page....for what it's worth. as they say. I am not pessimist...just observing thru the rear view mirror of history.
I understand your theory and don't necessarily disagree, but, I think this time a lot more people will hold on to these cars keeping them from dumping the market. A few will sell (hopefully not me), but, a lot will hang on in hopes of a rebound. Even if I have to park it most of the time, I will try to hang on to it unless some other circumstance changes that (illness, financial ruin, etc.)
Old 5/21/08, 11:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by eci

The market for these cars along with their Saleen and Roush counterparts are really soft right now. There are still some crazy prices out there but the cars aren't moving. If people have money to burn they most likely will just buy new. A guy I work with is looking at two uesed 07 GT500's with less then 1k on them for $39k.
Old 5/21/08, 12:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This GT500 Just sold for 38,000

This GT500 Just sold for $38,000

2007 Shelby GT500. - $38000 (SF)

Reply to: sale-685862133@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-05-18, 4:34PM PDT

2007 Shelby GT500 Mustang, 3700 miles!!

2007 Shelby GT500 Mustang.
3700 miles.
Supercharged 5.4L
500 HP
Factory Stripe Delete
5 year, 60,000 mile warranty.
No Mods. Never wrecked. Always garaged. Driven by and old guy.
Flawless condition 10 out of 10 all the way around.

$38,000 obo.
  • This item has been posted by-owner.
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 685862133

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/car/685862133.html
Old 5/21/08, 12:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Wow, that really surprises me. I think that owner could have done a little better.

Quick Reply: Cost of GT500 in 3 years