Bought a used GT500 & Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12/12/08, 07:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by principalpony
I am doing my best to work this out in such a way that we all walk away friends and are satisified with the overall transaction. I have been giving the benefit of the doubt as much as I can and I am hoping/praying that we all act with integety. I was told that he had taken the car to the track once, but he may have said once with the new s/c pulley - w/o any mention of how many times before or my thinking to ask. He said he had street raced it several times, but most of those were from a rolling start as a good launch is difficult w/o spinning the tires. He had listed some of the mods he had done, but said most of that was removed to aid in the sale and make warranty work easier to be approved. He did include the s/c pulley, cai and X-calibrator with the deal.

As things stand right now, I have been contacted by SVT rep and told he will provide a "care package" of clutch parts including the new & improved flywheel. That was a week ago today and I just left a message for him to ask if he needs any additional info from me. I hope to receive those parts soon and hopefully w/o any strings attached as to where the repairs should be done. If that's the case, I'll take it to Paul's High Performace. I've been told the clutch and trans were both replaced in early to mid 2007. I hope that means the trans doesn't need the input shaft and syncros replaced as that will save on the labor expenses. Even though the parts will come at no cost, the labor will not.

That should take care of the clutch issue, but we still have the differential problem. The seller is hoping it's just an axle bearing, but the dealer has been quoting pricing for a differential overhaul. We did write on the sales agreement that these problems need to be fixed and if they weren't covered by warranty, he has to pay for them. That's why I held back $1,500 on the purchase price. In a best case senario, I'll be sending some change back to him. When we agreed on the sale price for the GT500, it was for a car in good working order. No matter how much he has to pay for repairs, he still got his price of $32,500 - it just cost him some money to bring the car up to level/condition it was supposed to be.
Sounds like things are swinging your way.

How does it shift? Clutch slippage shouldbe fixed by the clutch replacement. IF the gears are grinding it may need the syncros (mine needs them and it has been babied all of its life).

Anyway, glad to hear you are getting it worked out. Once it is all done, you will have a great car.
Old 12/13/08, 11:25 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Sounds like things are swinging your way.

How does it shift? Clutch slippage shouldbe fixed by the clutch replacement. IF the gears are grinding it may need the syncros (mine needs them and it has been babied all of its life).

Anyway, glad to hear you are getting it worked out. Once it is all done, you will have a great car.
It shifted alright when I drove it from Chicago, but then with a clutch that slips as much as this one, I couldn't get on it at all. This has been dragging on for a month now and I haven't even seen it for about 3 weeks. I really want to get it DONE, even if I'm just driving it to store it for the rest of the winter.

You probably don't know that I'm still waiting on the title, too. His bank - Chase - hasn't sent it to him yet and that's been over 3 weeks since he paid it off! I'd really be PO'd if the car was running right, the weather was nice and I couldn't drive it because I can't register it w/o the title.
Old 12/13/08, 04:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by principalpony
It shifted alright when I drove it from Chicago, but then with a clutch that slips as much as this one, I couldn't get on it at all. This has been dragging on for a month now and I haven't even seen it for about 3 weeks. I really want to get it DONE, even if I'm just driving it to store it for the rest of the winter.

You probably don't know that I'm still waiting on the title, too. His bank - Chase - hasn't sent it to him yet and that's been over 3 weeks since he paid it off! I'd really be PO'd if the car was running right, the weather was nice and I couldn't drive it because I can't register it w/o the title.
I was wondering about the title when you mentioned it before. I hope you have some sort of confirmation or a copy of something that shows the car was paid off. Theres not much worse than having purchased a car and not get the title. It has happened to me once in the past, and when I called the police in the state I purchased the car they would not do anything unless I drove down from CT to VA and filed a report in person. I learned that one the hard way.
Old 12/15/08, 07:52 AM
Cobra Member

In the state of Florida it takes 10 business days from the time we submit the request to the dmv. This does not include waiting for check holds etc. We have a pretty efficient system that is web based. All states are different and I can easily taking that long. I wouldn't worry yet. You can call chase up with the loan number and they should be able to give you a status to see if its been paid in full. Car dealers do it all the time.

Roger
Old 12/23/08, 12:08 PM
GTR Member

wow. keep us updated.