Bought a used GT500 & Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11/17/08 | 06:45 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

That was a tad painful to watch
Old 11/17/08 | 06:47 PM
I lust for a M24

There's quite a few track vid's there for someone who's only been there once, as stated in his ebay ad.

http://videos.streetfire.net/uploaded/1/dgussin1.htm
http://videos.streetfire.net/uploaded/2/dgussin1.htm

I'd start saving this stuff in case he deletes it.

Last edited by 05GT-O.C.D.; 11/17/08 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11/17/08 | 07:18 PM
Bullitt Member

in all fairness, he didnt know how to drive stick when he bought it. its def been used though. im sure it still fine, not like it was a ****. least that i know of. never met the guy or saw the car in person, but im sure a clutch is about all it needs really. its still a mean car, no doubt. and i know its had more mods on it than it does now. i think it was t/s'd, not sure though. id say well worth the $35-$40k?
Old 11/17/08 | 07:21 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by USMC0341
That is true, it should come with a inflator/tire sealant in the trunk, I added a pic

Congrats on your new shelby!
That's what I have in mine. I thought is was a weight reason, I didn't realize it was a brake size reason. That's good to know for later.
Old 11/17/08 | 08:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Dgussin is the car I was thinking of.

Search for him on teamshelby.com and SVTPerformance.com. You could learn a lot about your car. From what I have seen, he is a good guy.
Old 11/17/08 | 09:50 PM

Your car was a very popular car for a long time. I've never heard anything bad about the guy you bought it from. There are a few videos of it on the web as you have seen. I still think you got a good deal on it. I'd just enjoy it if I were you.
Old 11/18/08 | 02:20 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I think I would be making a phone call this morning.
Old 11/18/08 | 11:05 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
... From what I have seen, he is a good guy.
The new owner might have a different opinion unless the seller provided full disclosure of the car's history.
Old 11/18/08 | 01:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Considering you can get a brand new Shelby for not much more, or a used and well taken care of Shelby for the same price, i'm going to say it's a bad deal. Also the fact that there wasn't full disclosure makes it automatically bad news, so not sure where the "but he's a good guy" comes into play here. Get your money back, give him back his jacked up car. Too many deals out there nowadays to put up with this krap.
Old 11/18/08 | 09:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Dgussin is the car I was thinking of.

Search for him on teamshelby.com and SVTPerformance.com. You could learn a lot about your car. From what I have seen, he is a good guy.
thats who i was thinkin of too
Old 11/18/08 | 11:17 PM
V6 Member

i think the reason he stalled twice trying to burnout is because he forgot to turn traction control off?
Old 11/18/08 | 11:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Traction control doesn't stall it, and it will still smoke the tires with traction control on...

Originally Posted by JMoraru
i think the reason he stalled twice trying to burnout is because he forgot to turn traction control off?
Old 11/19/08 | 02:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Nick85

Also the fact that there wasn't full disclosure makes it automatically bad news, so not sure where the "but he's a good guy" comes into play here. Get your money back, give him back his jacked up car. Too many deals out there nowadays to put up with this krap.

+100
I really believe he, "the good guy" withheld important information about the car's history. Why would he do that?......it's so obvious !

Old 11/19/08 | 02:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
The new owner might have a different opinion unless the seller provided full disclosure of the car's history.

x2. You don't need to know a person, or be his friend, to make a call on what's kosher when it comes to selling a vehicle. Plus it's not like this is a $2,000 AS-IS project car.

That being said, the buyer accepted the vehicle knowing it had issues. So, at this point, it's hard to say what can be done/undone.
Old 11/19/08 | 02:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Black GT500
Traction control doesn't stall it, and it will still smoke the tires with traction control on...

I tried to do a power burnout with the traction control on and it did stall on me...

I tried it without using the brake and traction control on and had no problems, the only thing was the center display showed 'Active Traction Control'

____________________-
Old 11/19/08 | 03:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Your car should still be under the 5 year 60k mile powertrain warranty so I think you'll be in good shape; Just bring it to the dealer. Now throw up some pictures of that bruiser so we can get a look at her!!!!
Old 11/19/08 | 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by black sunshine
Your car should still be under the 5 year 60k mile powertrain warranty so I think you'll be in good shape; Just bring it to the dealer...
That's providing Ford has no information of prior mods or there is evidence the car is or has been modified.
Old 11/19/08 | 04:26 PM
V6 Member

Here's the latest.

The Service Manager has requested that the Ford Field Rep come to take a look at it to decide what will be covered under warranty. He said that it appears to hime that someone had done some work on the differential and according to Ford records, it wasn't a Ford dealer. Considering that is has a performance driveshaft with protective shield and lots of rubber residue in the rear wheel wells, he feels the car has seen a lot of drag racing. Clutch and trans were previously replaced under warranty.

Seller states that to his knowledge, no one has ever done any work on the differential, and his drag racing at the strip was done a year or more ago before the trans was replaced. He did tell me today that if the repairs are not covered under warranty, we'll work something out. Whereas the service manager has estimated that the clutch could run $5k and the diff ~$2k, we could get the repairs done elsewhere for a lot less. To that end, I'll be looking for advice on clutch parts (Centerforce, etc.) and diff parts. I work near Paul's High Performance and may give him a call for repairs not covered under warranty.

As far as this deal is concerned, I haven't come across any Shelby GT500's going for $35k or less (low miles or not), and new ones are still listed for well over $42k. I plan on driving this Shelby (once it's fixed), not keeping it as a garage queen or museum piece. To that end, I didn't want to buy a Shelby I may be afraid to drive for fear of it losing it's value. This deal is not as good as I had thought, but if everything is repaired to my satisfaction, it's still an ok deal.
Old 11/19/08 | 04:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by principalpony
Here's the latest.

The Service Manager has requested that the Ford Field Rep come to take a look at it to decide what will be covered under warranty. He said that it appears to hime that someone had done some work on the differential and according to Ford records, it wasn't a Ford dealer. Considering that is has a performance driveshaft with protective shield and lots of rubber residue in the rear wheel wells, he feels the car has seen a lot of drag racing. Clutch and trans were previously replaced under warranty.

Seller states that to his knowledge, no one has ever done any work on the differential, and his drag racing at the strip was done a year or more ago before the trans was replaced. He did tell me today that if the repairs are not covered under warranty, we'll work something out. Whereas the service manager has estimated that the clutch could run $5k and the diff ~$2k, we could get the repairs done elsewhere for a lot less. To that end, I'll be looking for advice on clutch parts (Centerforce, etc.) and diff parts. I work near Paul's High Performance and may give him a call for repairs not covered under warranty.

As far as this deal is concerned, I haven't come across any Shelby GT500's going for $35k or less (low miles or not), and new ones are still listed for well over $42k. I plan on driving this Shelby (once it's fixed), not keeping it as a garage queen or museum piece. To that end, I didn't want to buy a Shelby I may be afraid to drive for fear of it losing it's value. This deal is not as good as I had thought, but if everything is repaired to my satisfaction, it's still an ok deal.

Good luck and will you post some pics already, so we can take a good look at the car....lol

Old 11/19/08 | 04:53 PM

Not that it might be a factor but it is possible at one time the car had aftermarket headers, catted X pipe, catback, and other mods related to its computer. Usually Ford field reps are pretty fair but very knowledgable as well.

I am not posting to ruin your day, just so you can be prepared on what to expect.

Last edited by 1 COBRA; 11/19/08 at 04:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Bought a used GT500 & Need Advice