Bought a used GT500 & Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12/1/08 | 05:58 PM
Bullitt Member

any word?

i am interested to see how this turns out because i am a member on svtp, not a good way to treat people or do business.

i put a link to this thread in the for sale thread he created on this car. it was up for sell for a long time, members asked about it but never bought it, guessing alot of them had followed his threads.
Old 12/4/08 | 03:18 PM
V6 Member

I am still waiting for info on where to take it for warranty work next. Seller says his contact from SVT will call me. Also waiting for the title - in IL lender holds title until loan is paid in full, then they take their time sending it to the seller. Once he gets it, he has to sign off and send it to me. He's looking for the Compressor/Fix-a-Flat that Ford sticks in these cars in place of a spare. He's going to send that to me as well. I guess it's a good thing I really can't drive it in the condition it's in, otherwise I'd be p.o.'d by not being able to drive it because I can't transfer a title I don't have and can't register/get plates w/o it. That's IL for ya

And with the crappy weather we're now having in MI, I guess I wouldn't be driving it.

No matter how you look at it, I have a Shelby, and can't enjoy it.
Old 12/4/08 | 04:33 PM
Bullitt Member

well like i said i out a link over there to this thread, hoping it will help speed things up for you. as for the warranty thing, if they have already sent someone out to look at your car then i would think they their findings would now reflect on the oasis report. not sure how his contact will be able to reverse that.?.?

g/l
Old 12/4/08 | 04:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

from what I've seen the title is sent out with in days of pay off.
Old 12/4/08 | 06:26 PM

You know, I wouldn't sweat it. Most Mustangs have been driven hard, it is just unfortunate that yours was so well documented. $31k + repairs is still a good deal in my book.

When it was listed....was it under his screen name? If so, I don't think that I would say he covered the history up. I mean he still has his track times in his sig.
__________________________________________________ ______
2007 Shelby GT 500 White w/ Blue Stripes Coupe -
571rwhp 543rwtq SAE - stock eaton 11psi
1.62 60' 11.41 @ 125.71 - ET Streets
1.91 60' 11.86 @ 125.26 - Street Tires
1.64 60' 11.59 @ 118.22 - ET Streets (Stock Pulley)
#820 of 8150 coupes #189 of 2250 white coupes

I know the feeling though, I bought a '93 Cobra off ebay that ended up only being a "fair" deal. I will never buy another car off ebay!

Good luck to you!

Last edited by runin1320; 12/4/08 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12/4/08 | 10:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by runin1320

When it was listed....was it under his screen name? If so, I don't think that I would say he covered the history up. I mean he still has his track times in his sig.
Thats just it...it wasn't...someone in this forum knew of an 07 Shelby GT500 for sale and simply asked if that was the same car that he was thinking about.

We never said he covered it up...Simply, the seller did not disclose "certain" info about the car...Seller stated that the car had only been to the track once...not true. Other minor details that he could have disclosed to the buyer about warranty coverage in regards to issues with the clutch problem on the early GT500's. I believe that the seller knew that the warranty might not cover the clutch problem.

He could have said "oh, by the way, I have a few videos of the car on the internet. If you want more info on the car and how it performs...look it up in YouTube...Dgussin"

My opinion, I think he didn't disclose that info because he figured he would have a harder time selling the car.

Old 12/5/08 | 10:14 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Adding to the fact of this being a small world, quite a few of us knew the story and the car's history simply because we visit related sites. If any of us would have thought it was a bargain one of us would have likely posted a topic to help one of our fellow members realize his dream of owning a GT500 while helping our fellow Mustang brother sell his car.

The flip side would have been to open a thread warning potential buyers but in all likelyhood it would have probably lead to confrontations and conflict with the seller who unless I and others missed it, never posted information of his knowledge of existing drivetrain problems.
Old 12/5/08 | 10:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Because quite a few GT500 warranty problems that Ford has turned away have been covered when SVT stepped in directly. There were some good informative posts (I don't recall exactly where or by whom) about it (SVT stepping up) back in the middle of 2007. After a few searches I haven't turned any of them up...

Originally Posted by sgt d
well like i said i out a link over there to this thread, hoping it will help speed things up for you. as for the warranty thing, if they have already sent someone out to look at your car then i would think they their findings would now reflect on the oasis report. not sure how his contact will be able to reverse that.?.?

g/l
Old 12/9/08 | 10:15 PM

I never met the guy but he seemed nice. The car was pullied with intake/exhaust yadda yadda. I think his best time was an 11.4 on slicks. It had a good tune on it and was demodded (not sure how much) by professionals. It was driven through a chicago winter.

Last edited by N20GT; 12/9/08 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12/10/08 | 08:10 PM

Meh, you get what you pay for. Raced, high miles, and discounted accordingly. Research, professional inspection, or assume the risk. Dropping that kind of cash without having Ford look at it wasn't all that prudent given the miles nor was ignoring your gut.

In my opinion, the car was discounted and that needs to be taken into consideration....$31K for a 2007 GT500.....it was not priced at a sub-1000 mile garage queen rate and you'll need to put some cash in it. You are still getting a deal just not as good as you thought. I certainly would not expect him to kick in another $6K since you did not pay the prime rate. If you paid $38K-$40k, then maybe.

Buying a used car normally isn't bad, despite what others have said, IF you do your research, have it inspected, and ask for documentation.

Just another opinion. Good luck - I'd make sure to take it to a reputable Ford dealer who has done the TSB before and that you've researched...some are better than others and the trans TSB is no joke to do. The TSB is not simply a clutch replacement and mods should not matter - it is a defect from Ford is how I understand it.

I personally passed on this very car due to the miles and previous history as well as how long it was for sale.

Evasive
'08 GT500

Last edited by Evasive; 12/10/08 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12/10/08 | 08:22 PM
I lust for a M24

Two 1st posts in a row by members who just joined today?
Old 12/10/08 | 08:25 PM

It was posted on another forum - I don't know either guy, just expressing an opinion and offering some, I thought, useful advice on the TSB so he doesn't get hosed on it. The TSB is involved and he should not be denied as the mods were not the cause.

You can find me on teamshelby as well as svt and fordgt500. I signed up at modularford today as well....because I own a GT500.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Last edited by Evasive; 12/10/08 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12/11/08 | 12:35 PM

**** gets around...

saw this on 2 local sites

starts on post 164 page 7!

http://chicagosvt.com/forums/showthr...t=35202&page=8
Old 12/11/08 | 05:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 5.slow
**** gets around...

saw this on 2 local sites

starts on post 164 page 7!

http://chicagosvt.com/forums/showthr...t=35202&page=8
Well, he says he made good in that thread. Did he? What is going on with it PPony?
Old 12/11/08 | 05:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by principalpony
No matter how you look at it, I have a Shelby, and can't enjoy it.
Hopefully this will all be resolved by Spring and you will be able to enjoy the Beast you have purchased.

I am not enjoying mine right now either. I just went out to the garage and took the cover off to check the trickle charger. Didn't really need to, just wanted an excuse to look at it. It is still beautiful.
Old 12/11/08 | 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

That car is minimum $50000 to $60000 where i come from.
Old 12/12/08 | 06:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by yugoboss
space? used shelbys are cheap now a days
Old 12/12/08 | 09:07 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by yugoboss
Wha?

Hehe man a GT500 hasn't been that expensive for a while now.

You can get a NEW GT500 for far less than 50k

I know someone who just bought an '09 for 44k brand new.

I would imagine by next year it will be even cheaper.
Old 12/12/08 | 03:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by mike1284
space? used shelbys are cheap now a days
It says he is from Alberta (as in Canada). So, his price is prob $50K Canadian.
Old 12/12/08 | 03:42 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Well, he says he made good in that thread. Did he? What is going on with it PPony?
I am doing my best to work this out in such a way that we all walk away friends and are satisified with the overall transaction. I have been giving the benefit of the doubt as much as I can and I am hoping/praying that we all act with integety. I was told that he had taken the car to the track once, but he may have said once with the new s/c pulley - w/o any mention of how many times before or my thinking to ask. He said he had street raced it several times, but most of those were from a rolling start as a good launch is difficult w/o spinning the tires. He had listed some of the mods he had done, but said most of that was removed to aid in the sale and make warranty work easier to be approved. He did include the s/c pulley, cai and X-calibrator with the deal.

As things stand right now, I have been contacted by SVT rep and told he will provide a "care package" of clutch parts including the new & improved flywheel. That was a week ago today and I just left a message for him to ask if he needs any additional info from me. I hope to receive those parts soon and hopefully w/o any strings attached as to where the repairs should be done. If that's the case, I'll take it to Paul's High Performace. I've been told the clutch and trans were both replaced in early to mid 2007. I hope that means the trans doesn't need the input shaft and syncros replaced as that will save on the labor expenses. Even though the parts will come at no cost, the labor will not.

That should take care of the clutch issue, but we still have the differential problem. The seller is hoping it's just an axle bearing, but the dealer has been quoting pricing for a differential overhaul. We did write on the sales agreement that these problems need to be fixed and if they weren't covered by warranty, he has to pay for them. That's why I held back $1,500 on the purchase price. In a best case senario, I'll be sending some change back to him. When we agreed on the sale price for the GT500, it was for a car in good working order. No matter how much he has to pay for repairs, he still got his price of $32,500 - it just cost him some money to bring the car up to level/condition it was supposed to be.

Quick Reply: Bought a used GT500 & Need Advice