Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Yet another engine speculation thread

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/08, 08:33 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by b_btrick
Ford is supposedly talking about two new engines for use in the new Explorer America that would make sense (to some degree) for use in the next gen or sooner Mustangs.
The first is a gas turbocharged four cylinder two liter with direct injection putting out 275 hp. Seems it would be a step up from the present base mustang engine, less weight, more hp, better gas mileage and more wide spread appeal picking up those looking for more of an economy car with more appeal than the normal econo boxes.
I think the explorer is way too heavy to have a tubocharged 4 cylinder. I drive a Mazda CX-7 which is about 4000 lbs. It has a direct injected 2.3 liter with a turbo pushing out 15.6 PSI of boost. And once that boost gets going, she flies. However, from a dead stop with no boost available she's a bit on the slow side, nothing unbearable but definitely would not want any more weight holding her back.

That being said the same engine is also in the Mazdaspeed 3 and 6. And it really gets those cars moving, so I think a turbo 4 would be great in the Mustang. For those that would look back to the SVO.... engine / turbo technology has come a LONG way since then. And direct injection really helps low end torque.

Just remember though, a turbo generally requires premium so the better fuel economy may be offset by higher cost per gallon.
Old 1/7/08, 09:33 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AWmustang
I think the explorer is way too heavy to have a tubocharged 4 cylinder. I drive a Mazda CX-7 which is about 4000 lbs. It has a direct injected 2.3 liter with a turbo pushing out 15.6 PSI of boost. And once that boost gets going, she flies. However, from a dead stop with no boost available she's a bit on the slow side, nothing unbearable but definitely would not want any more weight holding her back.
I also own a Cx7 and i don't think its slow off the line, the turbo lag is almost non existant. as long as you give it enough gas to stop it from shifting into 2nd right away it is darn quick and can shred the tires with ease.
Old 1/7/08, 05:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new Explorer is supposed to be a lot lighter than the current model.
Old 1/7/08, 05:16 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boduke0220
water is $10.00 a gallon but has anyone noticed?
You're getting ripped off, any of the local grocery stores have gallon jugs of spring water for a buck.
Old 1/7/08, 05:23 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Rapture
I had a 79 Capri RS turbo
Me too!!
Old 1/7/08, 05:26 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Knight
I also own a Cx7 and i don't think its slow off the line, the turbo lag is almost non existant. as long as you give it enough gas to stop it from shifting into 2nd right away it is darn quick and can shred the tires with ease.
I agree. My wife has a CX-7. I drive it when we go out at night or weekends. It took a little while to realize how quickly it was shifting into 2nd gear.

I think a 275 HP Turbo 4 could be a very economical base engine.
Old 1/7/08, 08:16 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
If I wanted a high power 4-cylinder car I'd buy something Japanese. Sorry guys, but a Mustang is a muscle car and should have a 3 things:

1 - Good BHP
2 - Great torque
3 - A fantastic soundtrack

I'm English, and the cost of fuel is stupid here (getting on for the equivilent of $9/gallon). Therefore, my Mustang is not a daily driver and is used for weekend/holiday fun. I have a crappy 14 year old Ford Mondeo for the daily drive. For me, the V8 is the Mustang's trump card. The car has it's faults, driven by the need to keep the cost down (no IRS/poor quality plastics inside etc), but I can forgive it this each and every time I start it up and here that V8 rumble. Rather like Enzo Ferrari was alleged to have said "you pay for the engine, the rest of the car comes free".

However, I appreciate many Mustangs in the US are used everyday, so fuel economy is going to be a high-priority. I'm not totally against smaller engines in the car, especially if it means the Mustang continues to be a good seller, BUT, there should always be a V8 option for those that crave "what a Mustang is all about".

Just my 2p
Agreed, a V8 MUST always be part of the Mustang formula (especially in the GT and SE models). However, I have owned a great number of Fox Mustangs including an SVO and Turbo 4 would make a great base powerplant. The increased MPG's provided by such an engine would allow Ford to offer more fire-breathing V8's for those who desire them - a true win/win for everyone
Old 1/7/08, 09:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MustangFanatic
Agreed, a V8 MUST always be part of the Mustang formula (especially in the GT and SE models). However, I have owned a great number of Fox Mustangs including an SVO and Turbo 4 would make a great base powerplant. The increased MPG's provided by such an engine would allow Ford to offer more fire-breathing V8's for those who desire them - a true win/win for everyone
Never thought of it that way. Better fuel economy for all of Ford's other cars and trucks which will let them go crazy on the Mustang. I doubt anyone buys a Mustang for the great gas mileage anyway.
Old 1/7/08, 09:31 PM
FR500 Member

I love V8's - but I wouldn't mind seeing a turbo V6 (and naturally V8's ) making its way under a future Mustang's hood. IMO, it could help broaden the appeal of the car. Not so sure a boosted I4 would be as well received, given the car's size/weight.
Old 1/7/08, 09:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
I love V8's - but I wouldn't mind seeing a turbo V6 (and naturally V8's ) making its way under a future Mustang's hood. IMO, it could help broaden the appeal of the car. Not so sure a boosted I4 would be as well received, given the car's size/weight.
I think the Turbo I4 would do just fine, especially if it will be the base motor in the Explorer. The new Explorer will probably weigh a couple hundred pounds more than a base Mustang.
Old 1/7/08, 10:32 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hi5.0
I love V8's - but I wouldn't mind seeing a turbo V6 (and turbo V8's ) making its way under a future Mustang's hood.
i fixed it for you.