2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Wonder if this affects the 2014

Search this Thread

Old 1/12/09, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wonder if this affects the 2014

Weren't they going to use the new rear wheel drive program for the 2014???

http://www.motorauthority.com/ford-r...d-program.html
Old 1/12/09, 05:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, that was supposedly the plan. My guess now is it stays on the same platform as the current stang. Looks like it will be the fox body all over again.
Old 1/12/09, 06:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
There's something wrong with the current platform?
Old 1/12/09, 06:35 PM
V6 Member

Maybe they can focus on making the current platform lighter, and I'm sure if it stays for a long time it will be modified as time goes on.
Old 1/12/09, 07:37 PM
GT Member

There is nothing wrong with refining the same platform for years hell Lamborghini has been refining the same chassis for 18 years.
Old 1/12/09, 07:45 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by houtex
There's something wrong with the current platform?
No, but in today's market you have to keep your platforms fresh to stay competitive.
Old 1/12/09, 10:08 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Staying with D2C means nothing with not staying competetive.
And it doesn't mean its a repeat of the Fox era.

At least the D2C was created FOR the mustang.
Old 1/13/09, 01:47 PM
V6 Member

As long as the car gets lighter and handles well, I'm fine with modifying the current platform.
Old 1/13/09, 02:15 PM
GT Member

Well, if the GRWD platform is scrapped... I could see them continuing on this retro theme some more. I for one wish they'd come out with a modernly designed coupe... I'll just keep praying for another 'Bird I guess!
Old 1/13/09, 02:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Godspeed01
Well, if the GRWD platform is scrapped... I could see them continuing on this retro theme some more. I for one wish they'd come out with a modernly designed coupe... I'll just keep praying for another 'Bird I guess!
+1 I like the retro stang but with two body styles to choose from I feel it has been done, no need to continue with it. Let's just hope they can make the next gen even more unique or perhaps give it the hybrid look of a 10' with the rear of the 05' .

Perhaps keeping the car on the same platform may even speed up the next refresh or maybe it will speed up the demand to put in an IRS for this platform since it isn't going anywhere for a while.
Old 1/13/09, 03:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Perhaps they can use the current Mustang platform, updated with IRS, and do the next T-bird as the upscale "Mustang". That would allow the 'Stang to stay rooted in its heritage - SRA, lots of hp, minimal frills - for those who choose; and something to hang an IRS on with all the upscale stuff - nav, lots of sound deadening, high-end stereo, etc.

In other words, a good old, affordable hot-rod on the one hand, and a near-luxury, moderately-priced grand tourer on the other. I think the platform could handle it, personally...
Old 1/13/09, 03:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Zoomie
Perhaps they can use the current Mustang platform, updated with IRS, and do the next T-bird as the upscale "Mustang". That would allow the 'Stang to stay rooted in its heritage - SRA, lots of hp, minimal frills - for those who choose; and something to hang an IRS on with all the upscale stuff - nav, lots of sound deadening, high-end stereo, etc.

In other words, a good old, affordable hot-rod on the one hand, and a near-luxury, moderately-priced grand tourer on the other. I think the platform could handle it, personally...
I think it's too late for that. The Mustang has already become a "near-luxury, moderately-priced grand tourer". I have seen this car in person and it looks very upscale. Think about it, the Mustang is now going to offer SYNC, it has already has offered Nav, now a glass roof. I think the Mustang will eventually need an IRS because the competition has it.

As far as a future T-Bird goes I'd personally prefer a continuance of the failed last gen car. I think a two seat roadster with some style and power would be fun. If this car had more power and more aggressive looks it would have been a hit. I liked the last car but it was not mean enough. I'm thinking an option 2 door Taurus would fit the bill for a big luxury cruiser.
Old 1/13/09, 03:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I liked the last T-bird, too, and was hoping to "graduate" from a Mustang to a 'Bird in my old age. There were a number of issues I had with it - not enough engine, running premium fuel for example - but the deal breaker was the too-small interior. With the top on, my head hit the roof; couldn't rake the seat back because I had to have it all the way back for my legs, and the rear cowl prevented raking the seat at full travel. And I'm only 6'2"!

I have no problem with the 'Bird coming back as a roadster - think it would be cool, in fact. But if they do bring it back, it's gotta have more interior room! (Something I love about my '06 'Stang - first Mustang I've had in over 25 years that gave me enough head, leg, and shoulder room all at the same time. Good job, Ford!!)

And I know the current 'Stang has gone way up-market with all the options the last few years. What I was thinking of was maybe taking this opportunity to simplify the Mustang, take it back to it's roots some, by routing that stuff to a T-bird offshoot, instead.

But the reality probably is that it would not be cost-effective to do so, so I suspect they'll stick with a broad range of Mustang variants in essentially two body styles - coupe & vert - with various front clips as on the '10 and assorted scoops and trim options for variety rather than revisiting model proliferation on a single platform as of old...
Old 1/13/09, 05:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Zoomie
I liked the last T-bird, too, and was hoping to "graduate" from a Mustang to a 'Bird in my old age. There were a number of issues I had with it - not enough engine, running premium fuel for example - but the deal breaker was the too-small interior. With the top on, my head hit the roof; couldn't rake the seat back because I had to have it all the way back for my legs, and the rear cowl prevented raking the seat at full travel. And I'm only 6'2"!

I have no problem with the 'Bird coming back as a roadster - think it would be cool, in fact. But if they do bring it back, it's gotta have more interior room! (Something I love about my '06 'Stang - first Mustang I've had in over 25 years that gave me enough head, leg, and shoulder room all at the same time. Good job, Ford!!)

And I know the current 'Stang has gone way up-market with all the options the last few years. What I was thinking of was maybe taking this opportunity to simplify the Mustang, take it back to it's roots some, by routing that stuff to a T-bird offshoot, instead.

But the reality probably is that it would not be cost-effective to do so, so I suspect they'll stick with a broad range of Mustang variants in essentially two body styles - coupe & vert - with various front clips as on the '10 and assorted scoops and trim options for variety rather than revisiting model proliferation on a single platform as of old...
I agree 100% on both points. I have nothing else to say, I guess great minds think alike