2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Winter prep?

Search this Thread

Old 10/18/12, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Steve, you will love colly 845. It's what I have on winter cars. And you know me and detailing. That's like you and moderating.... hehehe. Remember to apply thin, then layer 2 to 3 coats. Then sit back and go through 4months of Midwest winter with a smile.

Edit...all these questions about colly 845. You guys don't want me to pull up all my threads and reviews on other forums about it do you? Lol
My car's still on order and I'm plotting all these things as well, but Im not sure about this waxing: is it OK to put layers of this colly (or something similar) on a brand new car? I'll have to brush snow/ice off the car for months to come... is this enough to provide some protection, then maybe detail it in the Spring?
Old 10/18/12, 06:27 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by in.s0mn1ac
My car's still on order and I'm plotting all these things as well, but Im not sure about this waxing: is it OK to put layers of this colly (or something similar) on a brand new car? I'll have to brush snow/ice off the car for months to come... is this enough to provide some protection, then maybe detail it in the Spring?
Waxing a new or old surface don't matter. Just make sure the surface is clean.

Never brush snow off of paint. Unless you scratches and marring on your paint. Just leave it be. Or take it to a touchless car wash.
Old 10/18/12, 06:53 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Ordered the 845, as well as some 303 Fabric Guard and Fabric Cleaner from Detailed Image. The coupon code "preholiday12" gets you $2.99 shipping and a few freebies as well.
Good lookin out on the coupon code -- ordered some 845 for myself just because of the cheap shipping. I think I'll try waxing the winter wheels I just got with it before they get the tires mounted.
Old 10/18/12, 08:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Overboost
For those of you who drive the car year round, what do you do to get the car ready for the snowy winter months?

Right now my winter prep plan is as follows:

-Swap to winter wheels and tires
-Install lower fascia block offs, possibly remove brake duct hoses.
-Remove front splitter
-Wax vehicle with good, long lasting wax (going to try Collonite 845)
-Treat windshield with Aquapel
I make sure to have a sweat shirt in the back seat to wear with my shorts. Winters in California can be brutal.
Old 10/18/12, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Waxing a new or old surface don't matter. Just make sure the surface is clean.

Never brush snow off of paint. Unless you scratches and marring on your paint. Just leave it be. Or take it to a touchless car wash.
I get it that the brush will cause scratches, but this is my DD and I have to get the snow off quite often (we can get 5+ feet/winter). I'm wondering if this method of using a long-lasting wax could be useful to minimize the damage of a winter season (salt, slush, snow, various nasty stuff). If not, then OK, I'll look at something else, but this is method appeals to me much more than some kind of sealant.
Old 10/19/12, 02:07 AM
GT Member

Ordered Coli 845 & Aquapel based on this thread, we'll see how she holds for the first winter. She sits in the garage when the slop is on the road, but I'll sneak out for a squirt around town if the roads are dry and clear.

Not too concerned about tire/temp issues, I figure the temp recommendations mean "no hard racing". Worked with the Perelli's on my '10GT...
Old 10/19/12, 04:19 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Don't forget to check your wiper blades, second set of floormats, and oil thickness. (If necessary)
Oil thickness?

Is this a Boss? otherwise, isn't 5w-20 for year round and forever?
Old 10/19/12, 07:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by outtaphase
Ordered Coli 845 & Aquapel based on this thread, we'll see how she holds for the first winter. She sits in the garage when the slop is on the road, but I'll sneak out for a squirt around town if the roads are dry and clear.

Not too concerned about tire/temp issues, I figure the temp recommendations mean "no hard racing". Worked with the Perelli's on my '10GT...
You should be concerned. It'll be like driving on ice anything below 40 degrees.
Old 10/19/12, 07:14 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Rando
You should be concerned. It'll be like driving on ice anything below 40 degrees.
That's a bit of an exaggeration.. I've had my 19" Pirelli P-Zero's out in the mornings on the way to work where its been like 36F-40F, and it's hardly like driving on ice. The weather needs to be consistently cold before it really starts affecting the tires that much.

It also helps to drive sensibly.
Old 10/21/12, 11:30 AM
V6 Member

Got around to claying & putting on a coat of the 845 yesterday/today. Looks pretty good (I wouldn't say it's stellar, but still nice), but the durability is what I was interested in, so we'll see how it holds up. The appearance would probably be helped by a top layer of some carnuba / Speed Shine.

Name:  EP4dH.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  441.0 KB

Name:  xO8iv.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  500.6 KB
Old 10/21/12, 11:36 AM
GTR Member

I'm in the process of winter prepping the girlfriends' car as we speak. Just finished the Aquapel treatment on the front glass, now it's on to paint. Mine will be later.
Old 10/21/12, 12:31 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
What is the "paint prep"that needs to be done before the 845 is applied?
Old 10/21/12, 01:01 PM
GTR Member

What is the "paint prep"that needs to be done before the 845 is applied?
Depends on how intense you want to go. You could do a clay bar, polish, then wax. Otherwise, just clean the surface and apply it.
Old 10/21/12, 01:40 PM

I think I'm going to try it on the Fusion before I try it on the stangs. I heard it was like chipping concrete if you put it on too thick. I'm wondering if the orbital will be better than hand application? I'm not the best at hand waxing, sadly. On the same token, worried about screwing up with the power buffer. Ugggh
Old 10/21/12, 01:46 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
my winter prep is to put on a jacket. It gets down into 50's here sometimes in the morning.
Old 10/21/12, 02:16 PM
GTR Member

I think I'm going to try it on the Fusion before I try it on the stangs. I heard it was like chipping concrete if you put it on too thick. I'm wondering if the orbital will be better than hand application? I'm not the best at hand waxing, sadly. On the same token, worried about screwing up with the power buffer. Ugggh
What kind of orbital buffer do you have? In most cases, a power buffer will put it on thinner and prevent you from having that thick application to get off. As far as screwing it up with a buffer, just apply a small amount, spread it around, then come back in and do a back and forth application and overlap a tad. It'll go on thin and easy.
Old 10/21/12, 03:02 PM

I have one of those one handler buffers with the six inch diameter. I don't think it's strong enough to burn clear coat...
Old 10/21/12, 04:50 PM
GTR Member

I have one of those one handler buffers with the six inch diameter. I don't think it's strong enough to burn clear coat...
You should be fine then. Is it a rotary or a random orbital? If it's a random one, you have to really mess up to burn paint.
Old 10/21/12, 05:51 PM

Orbital. Those things scare me. I also heard that you can use the 845 on trim and plastics. I'm not trying that but I read that it's great if you know what your doing.
Old 10/22/12, 11:47 AM
V6 Member

Steve, do you have any tips for removing the 845 by hand? I thought I had buffed it all off shortly after I applied it Saturday, but then looking at the paint again in the sun on Sunday showed a very hazy appearance over most of the car. I got a fresh microfiber cloth and some Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer spray and buffed it all off again, but the same haze seems to have either reappeared or remained there.

My first guess is that I might've applied too much (although I only used about 3 quarter sized drops for the entire car) or didn't wait the correct amount of time before trying to remove it. I'm hoping the hazing will stop after I wipe it off again, or maybe wash it? The car definitely feels protected, but it doesn't look too great with all the haziness...

Quick Reply: Winter prep?