Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Winter prep?

Search this Thread

Old 10/15/12, 01:00 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Winter prep?

For those of you who drive the car year round, what do you do to get the car ready for the snowy winter months?

Right now my winter prep plan is as follows:

-Swap to winter wheels and tires
-Install lower fascia block offs, possibly remove brake duct hoses.
-Remove front splitter
-Wax vehicle with good, long lasting wax (going to try Collonite 845)
-Treat windshield with Aquapel
Old 10/15/12, 01:25 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Don't forget to check your wiper blades, second set of floormats, and oil thickness. (If necessary)
Old 10/15/12, 01:32 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Don't forget to check your wiper blades, second set of floormats, and oil thickness. (If necessary)
Good stuff as well.
Old 10/15/12, 01:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car is brand new.. the only thing I did was order a new set of rims and tires for the winter since my stock tires are summer only tires not good for under 40 degrees F. So got some Kumo all-weather.
Old 10/15/12, 06:19 PM
V6 Member

I just got my AMR wheels and Blizzaks in -- will probably mount them as soon as it gets consistently cold. Will also be doing a full wax as soon as the weather permits, as well as a Rain-X treatment.
Old 10/15/12, 06:23 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by coachhoach
I just got my AMR wheels and Blizzaks in -- will probably mount them as soon as it gets consistently cold. Will also be doing a full wax as soon as the weather permits, as well as a Rain-X treatment.
Honestly, if you're looking to do Rain X, spend the extra money for the Aquapel treatment. Up to 6 months without reapplying. One and done!
Old 10/15/12, 07:30 PM

I heard rain x was bad... Trying to remember why..
Old 10/15/12, 08:22 PM
BB3
Cobra Member

That would be news to me my friend. I've never had any issues with RainX.

That being said, Overboost is giving everyone excellent advice about using the Aquapel product instead.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge Overboost.-----Bill
Old 10/15/12, 08:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rainex can't be used on plastics, i.e. Lexan or Plexiglass. Was that it?
Old 10/15/12, 08:37 PM
GTR Member

I don't remember exactly, but over the years of having windshield chips repaired, many of the auto glass people HATE Rain-X. I believe it's silicone base is tough to get out of pores and over time it will run off the windshield. I don't believe it's the case with Aquapel. I picked up a 6-pack from AutoGeek, gave two to my parents, and did my car and my g/f's car before winter. With a 6 month life, that'll hold up just fine for the season. Also, I've had mine on for about a month and it's held up great in the rain we've seen recently here in MI.

As for wax, I normally use Blackfire Wet Diamond, but this time I'm going to try the Collonite 845. It's an insulator wax that many claim as one of the ultimate winter waxes. I think we're in for a harsh winter after the mild one in 2011, so I'm not taking any chances. Besides, for the cost, if it doesn't work, I can always throw a quick coat of BFWD on it if I clean it up in the garage with some Optimum No Rinse.

Wiper blades - Bosch Icon or the Motorcraft blades. Haven't found anything else worth a ****.
Old 10/15/12, 08:57 PM

That's it! Yep, the glass man told me that while he was repairing a few chips on the old goat stang. Thanks.

I also use Bosch blades. Agreed that the others suck.
Old 10/15/12, 09:03 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Besides, for the cost, if it doesn't work, I can always throw a quick coat of BFWD on it if I clean it up in the garage with some Optimum No Rinse.
Is ONR worth it? I've seen a number of people rave about it, but I can't convince myself to try some. Is it feasible to wash a car in a garage that doesn't have a drain in the floor?

I'd be interested to hear your review of the #845 though. I'm just starting to invest in some non-OTC car care products, but I'm being cautious and trying not to spend all of my money (especially since I just got those wheels/tires).
Old 10/15/12, 09:08 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by coachhoach

Is ONR worth it? I've seen a number of people rave about it, but I can't convince myself to try some. Is it feasible to wash a car in a garage that doesn't have a drain in the floor?

I'd be interested to hear your review of the #845 though. I'm just starting to invest in some non-OTC car care products, but I'm being cautious and trying not to spend all of my money (especially since I just got those wheels/tires).
I think it is. I'd highly recommend you take the car somewhere and pressure wash it first, then gently wipe any remaining dirt off with the ONR. You don't get as much on the floor as you'd think.

I'd recommend Wet Diamond over 845, for only one wax to own. I need to get the 845 on order here soon.
Old 10/15/12, 09:19 PM

I just looked up the collonite 845 and the price is great and it sounds great.

How hard is it to take off by hand? More importantly, what happens if some gets on the flat black areas or black plastic? I've steered clear of pastes and most liquids because of this but we both know that the spray waxes arent doing jack.
Old 10/15/12, 09:22 PM
GTR Member

I just looked up the collonite 845 and the price is great and it sounds great.

How hard is it to take off by hand? More importantly, what happens if some gets on the flat black areas or black plastic? I've steered clear of pastes and most liquids because of this but we both know that the spray waxes arent doing jack.
I honestly don't know. There are several ways to get wax off black plastic trim too, so don't be too worried. From what I've read or heard, 845 sounds relatively easy to apply and remove.
Old 10/16/12, 08:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
For me, it's a good waxing to start with. I've been using Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax, which goes on really nicely and still beads up great after 6 months. I know a lot of guys (Overboost and FromZto5 especially) use some other more professional, niche products that I'd never heard of before, so I may try those in the future but for now, I've been happy with that Meguiar's product, and it's available at any Advance or O'Reilly.

At the same time, I'll do a treatment of all the black plastic trim. For that, I've been using Meguiar's Ultimate Black, which works nicely too.

After that, the winter tires/wheels will go on, probably Thanksgiving weekend and my kick-a** Husky Liners floormats will go in. They're not as well known as WeatherTech, but they're USA-made too, cost about the same, and have a much higher lip to ensure snow/mud don't get on my carpets. Had 'em in my Explorer and have 'em in the Mustang now - they're fantastic.

I may have to try out those good old Motorcraft wipers, as you suggested Overboost. I have been buying the Goodyear ones at Costco because they're $8 each, versus $20 each for the equivalent at regular retail, but they're not very good.
Old 10/16/12, 08:03 AM

Are you using the Meguiars cleaner wax? I haven't seen any other liquid wax from them.
Old 10/16/12, 08:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm going to put a coat of wax on this weekend or next.
Old 10/16/12, 08:10 AM
GTR Member

Looks like Collonite is available at some local stores. Go to their website and see if a local place has it instead of ordering online.
Old 10/16/12, 09:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

I ordered some Collonite

Quick Reply: Winter prep?