Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Why is the Track Pack not standard with the 5.0 (2011 GT)?

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/10, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why is the Track Pack not standard with the 5.0 (2011 GT)?

I personally see trying to put down that much HP and TQ as dangerous on the standard 235 size tire (even with traction control). IMHO, the Track Pack should be the standard suspension, tire, and brake package on the new GT with the new 5.0 engine. Ford should have at least made the equipment content of the 2010 Track Pack standard with the 255 tires, suspension and brake upgrades, etc. Then the Brembos could be an option on top of that if that is how they want to do it. Just my opinion...
Old 1/11/10, 11:11 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think they did take a lot of the components from the Track Pack and made them standard on the 2011 GT. At least that's what I gathered from the Press release. There also has been no mention of a Track Pack on the 2011 GT. I guess we'll find out when the order guide comes out?

I agree that the 235 tire width is too narrow! Maybe they will change that to be 255 standard?

The 2011 Mustang GT features an enhanced rear lower control arm to add stiffness, improve powertrain NVH control and sharpen handling. A stiffened rear stabilizer bar for better on-center steering is also included. Stabilizer bar diameters, spring rates and dampers all have been tuned for improved dynamics.

https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=479341

Originally Posted by TORQUERULES
I personally see trying to put down that much HP and TQ as dangerous on the standard 235 size tire (even with traction control). IMHO, the Track Pack should be the standard suspension, tire, and brake package on the new GT with the new 5.0 engine. Ford should have at least made the equipment content of the 2010 Track Pack standard with the 255 tires, suspension and brake upgrades, etc. Then the Brembos could be an option on top of that if that is how they want to do it. Just my opinion...

Last edited by Falchion; 1/11/10 at 11:13 AM.
Old 1/11/10, 11:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Once I have the order guide at work, I will post it ASAP and we can all see if the Track Pack is standard or still an optional package.
Old 1/11/10, 12:28 PM

The suspension bits and pieces would definetly help with putting that power to the ground, but I would think they would want to get rid of those 235s for sure. Heck and '03 Cobra with similar power stock came with 275s all the way around. Maybe the Track Pack suspension is standard now and the Brembo package is all there is (which comes with bigger wheels and tires). IMHO, the Brembos and big wheels and tires should be standard. That stuff is standard on the cars the Mustang is going to compete with. I think Ford is doing an awesome job with the new Mustang, but that is a big point they need to look at...
Old 1/11/10, 01:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remember those first official photos released of the 2011 Mustang GT in Race Red? The wheels on it were (or else looked exactly like) the 18" polished aluminum wheels that are optional for the 2010 GT. The Track Pack comes with 19" wheels. I think it's safe to conclude that all of the parts from the Track Pack will NOT be standard equipment on the 2011 GT. While many people on this forum may think Track Pack is the only way to go, most Mustang drivers will never take their car on a track. And many Mustang drivers don't want ultra high performance tires that cost two grand to replace.
Old 1/11/10, 01:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Ford has to draw the line somewhere. Why aren't 19" wheels standard? Why isn't nav standard? See what I mean? Even the stock suspension is **** good. It's better to offer a cheaper base car and then allow buyers to pay for upgrades in whatever areas they desire.
Old 1/11/10, 01:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyW
Remember those first official photos released of the 2011 Mustang GT in Race Red? The wheels on it were (or else looked exactly like) the 18" polished aluminum wheels that are optional for the 2010 GT. The Track Pack comes with 19" wheels. I think it's safe to conclude that all of the parts from the Track Pack will NOT be standard equipment on the 2011 GT. While many people on this forum may think Track Pack is the only way to go, most Mustang drivers will never take their car on a track. And many Mustang drivers don't want ultra high performance tires that cost two grand to replace.
Well it has already been mentioned that the new 5.0 GT will have suspension upgrades over the 2010. I would assume it has most of the 2010 TP, minus the bigger wheels standard.
Old 1/11/10, 01:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TORQUERULES
I personally see trying to put down that much HP and TQ as dangerous on the standard 235 size tire (even with traction control).
Why would it be dangerous?
Old 1/11/10, 02:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

One reason is the wider, stickier (and heavier) summer-only performance tires that come with the Track pack hurt mpg numbers. Also, a lot of people drive their Mustangs year round in northern states with cold, snowy winters, and the sticky track pack Pirelli P Zeros would be a disaster on snowy roads. I'm just glad they offer it as an option.
Old 1/11/10, 02:47 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Why would it be dangerous?
Agreed, I haven't managed to go splat myself with 120 extra ft/lbs of torque and an extra 128 hp on 285s. Traction and stability control will go a long way toward quelling having an abundance of power.

In any event I like having the track pack as an option because it opens the door for an entry level V8 or V6 car.

In comparison a "complete" V8 package is problematic and one doesn't have to look any farther than the Camaro. Thier entry car is the V6 and when you step up to the Camaro version of the Track Pack (interior and exterior trim aside), you go V8 with all the bells and whistles.