Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Why No Hood Shocks!

Search this Thread

Old 8/23/11, 12:41 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
so blame it on the bean counters who designed the II...
The II would be Saudi Arabia's fault.

Personally, I like the prop rod on my performance cars.

Ditto on closing without touching the hood.
Old 8/23/11, 06:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't understand why there's a need to drill holes in one's hood or say that the drilled-hole design is superior to the bolt-on support struts. My CalPony pre-painted bolt-on hood support struts are color matched perfectly, and the hood raises effortlessly. The whole pre-painted shootin' match was $109, and installed in less than one hour. I honestly don't see how it could get any better.

Also, I've found that the prop rod creates unsightly scratches on the plastic radiator cover, so I removed mine altogether. Otherwise I'd have left it in there for emergency use, since I have the allegedly inferior hood struts.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 8/23/11 at 06:18 PM.
Old 8/23/11, 06:24 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Double-EDad
I don't understand why there's a need to drill holes in one's hood or say that the drilled-hole design is superior to the bolt-on support struts. My CalPony pre-painted bolt-on hood support struts are color matched perfectly, and the hood raises effortlessly. The whole pre-painted shootin' match was $109, and installed in less than one hour. I honestly don't see how it could get any better.

Also, I've found that the prop rod creates unsightly scratches on the plastic radiator cover, so I removed mine altogether. Otherwise I'd have left it in there for emergency use, since I have the allegedly inferior hood struts.
Go on the redline website and there should be a video.
Old 8/23/11, 06:26 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Double-EDad

It has to do with the angle the struts are at, and the specifics of the strut themselves. I've played with the CDC/MRT ones as well as the Redline ones and you can see a huge difference in them. By attaching the struts out further, the hood is more stable while up. Also, the Redline strut has a "slow finish" that the others do not.

Oh, and if you're trying to close the hood without getting hand prints on it, pull down fairly hard by the hood latch and get your hand out of the way. Works every time.
Old 8/23/11, 06:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ronin38
Why no hood struts?

Why no under-hood light? Or glove box light? Why only one cheap, nearly-ineffective trunk light?

Is life worth so many questions?
Under hood light is good for nothing. What's in your glovebox that you need more light than the map lights offer and what do you need light in the trunk for?
Old 8/23/11, 06:52 PM
Post *****

That's what these are for:

Old 8/23/11, 06:55 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
What's in your glovebox that you need more light than the map lights offer?
I want to see the magazines clearly so I can grab them and insert them in one move. Can't afford to waste precious seconds when on a beach assault.

Last edited by PTRocks; 8/23/11 at 07:00 PM.
Old 8/23/11, 09:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have the MRT's and I think they work great. Easy install too. I also removed my factory rod . . . I think it looks cleaner.

+1 on closing the hood using the latch to avoid fingerprints
Old 8/23/11, 09:16 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
It has to do with the angle the struts are at, and the specifics of the strut themselves. I've played with the CDC/MRT ones as well as the Redline ones and you can see a huge difference in them. By attaching the struts out further, the hood is more stable while up. Also, the Redline strut has a "slow finish" that the others do not.

Oh, and if you're trying to close the hood without getting hand prints on it, pull down fairly hard by the hood latch and get your hand out of the way. Works every time.
Speaking of angles, thats one of the best things about the ones at AM. They are far back and out of the way. They are also all black and blend in very well, which is a huge plus IMO for car shows. Although I have no plans on it, I have the option of returning it to stock in about 5 minutes.

Performance wise they lift and hold as well as the Redlines I had on my '02 and '03.

As for fingerprints, you should have a microfiber towel and quick detailer if you are worried about that. Good for bird bombs too!
Old 8/23/11, 09:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Planeswalker

Speaking of angles, thats one of the best things about the ones at AM. They are far back and out of the way. They are also all black and blend in very well, which is a huge plus IMO for car shows. Although I have no plans on it, I have the option of returning it to stock in about 5 minutes.

Performance wise they lift and hold as well as the Redlines I had on my '02 and '03.

As for fingerprints, you should have a microfiber towel and quick detailer if you are worried about that. Good for bird bombs too!
You can't put finger prints on strips, well maybe you can, but mine are white so they don't show.
Old 8/23/11, 09:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
[QUOTE=Ltngdrvr;6127046]It's sort of become a tradition now that Mustangs use a prop rod for the hood. Even Jay Leno joked about it when he did the review of the 2011 GT. All the way back to the '74 Mustang II(JUNK!) Mustangs have used a prop rod, so blame it on the bean counters who designed the II...(Quote)

Hey now, there might not be a Mustang if the 74-78 Mustangs didnt save the model. Not alot of respect but they did save our beloved Mustang and sold more of those than any other... That and Charlies Angels..LOL
Old 8/23/11, 09:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
As others have mentioned, the rod is light and simple.

I wish those adjectives could be applied to more aspects of the car.
Old 8/23/11, 09:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hood Prop never bothered me, its a Mustang.....
Old 8/24/11, 10:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

One thing that makes me mad is working on an older car with hood shocks when it's cold, getting hit in the head with the hood hurts, that prop rod can get in the way at times but better then a head ache
Old 8/28/11, 08:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
I want to see the magazines clearly so I can grab them and insert them in one move. Can't afford to waste precious seconds when on a beach assault.
Dang it, where's the "LIKE" button?
Old 8/28/11, 07:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
Is that what the US govt is replacing Hummers with?