2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Why is 3.73 or 3.56 Not Available In the Convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 6/22/10, 10:56 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is 3.73 or 3.56 Not Available In the Convertible?

Just wondering – why are GT convertible buyers constrained to the 3.31 rear? I went ahead and got my convertible, figuring I can retrofit a 3.56 or 3.73 later. I just don’t understand how, if 412 HP and 390 lb-ft thru a 3.31 are OK, then 3.73 isn’t OK. Are they really that close to the ragged edge with the 3.31? Will the convertible snap in half if it does a wheelstand?
My problem with the 3.31 is mostly that the gearing just seems so darned tall. I am thinking a shorter rear might actually help drivability by reducing lugging around town.
Old 6/22/10, 11:28 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another already asked, already beat to death subject.

Ford figures that someone looking for the best performance will get a coupe.
Old 6/22/10, 11:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Ford figures that someone looking for the best performance will get a coupe.
unfortunatly they figured wrong.

fortunatly getting a aftermarket set installed is not that hard or expensive
Old 6/22/10, 11:40 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trick25
fortunatly getting a aftermarket set installed is not that hard or expensive
Except that in addition to getting the gears installed, $400-$600, you will need to get either a tune and tune device, $380 or so, or a speed-cal, $140, so the speedo will read correctly.
Old 6/22/10, 11:49 AM
GT Member

Another already asked, already beat to death subject.
"Nice welcome" to a new member (he joined June 17).

Double-Edad: What ltngdrvr is trying to say is that The Mustang Source has a very good search feature (it really does). This forum is a wealth of info for folks who want to search for past info (...Michael aka 2011 Ford Mustang facebook fan page admin)
Old 6/22/10, 12:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Except that in addition to getting the gears installed, $400-$600, you will need to get either a tune and tune device, $380 or so, or a speed-cal, $140, so the speedo will read correctly.
so lets see. gears 150. installation 200-350 and speed cal 150. i would be out around 600 total vs 395 for factory install.

not really that much more in the big picture. dont get me wrong, i wish ford offered it to on the vert cause ill prob wind up with one.

that and gears are one of the few mods that are actually worth the money.
Old 6/22/10, 01:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

so lets see. gears 150. installation 200-350 and speed cal 150. i would be out around 600 total vs 395 for factory install.

not really that much more in the big picture. dont get me wrong, i wish ford offered it to on the vert cause ill prob wind up with one.

that and gears are one of the few mods that are actually worth the money.
unless they try to void the warranty if you have engine, transmission, axle, driveshaft, clutch problems. then it would be considerably more expensive.
Old 6/22/10, 01:36 PM
Bullitt Member

i could be. but if your that worried about warranty you prob shouldnt be moding a car at all.

we could play the coulda game all day. what if a tree fell on your car. that makes the idea of parking in the shade more expensive.

what if you get in a wreck. that makes the idea of driving your vehicles more expensive.

im not trying to be dificult at all. just saying i rather enjoy my vehicles. if i choose to mod it or treat it a certain way. you have to deal with the consequences

Last edited by trick25; 6/22/10 at 01:37 PM.
Old 6/22/10, 02:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

i could be. but if your that worried about warranty you prob shouldnt be moding a car at all.

we could play the coulda game all day. what if a tree fell on your car. that makes the idea of parking in the shade more expensive.

what if you get in a wreck. that makes the idea of driving your vehicles more expensive.

im not trying to be dificult at all. just saying i rather enjoy my vehicles. if i choose to mod it or treat it a certain way. you have to deal with the consequences
fully i agree but i think the purpose of this thread was to create some discussion around "why dont they offer the gears from the factory?", the tone of response is usually dont worry about it you can mod but from some points of view modding/warranty issues is not an acceptable alternative.
Old 6/22/10, 03:10 PM
Bullitt Member

your right there. its easy to forget there is a whole segment of ppl out there that buy a car and leave it stock...i was shocked too when i found out. lol
Old 6/22/10, 07:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xlover
unless they try to void the warranty if you have engine, transmission, axle, driveshaft, clutch problems. then it would be considerably more expensive.
If it is still offered, have the dealer install them. they will be covered under warranty. I paid extra for them on my 07 but felt it was worth it for the coverage.
Old 6/22/10, 07:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by grabberguy
"Nice welcome" to a new member (he joined June 17).

Double-Edad: What ltngdrvr is trying to say is that The Mustang Source has a very good search feature (it really does). This forum is a wealth of info for folks who want to search for past info (...Michael aka 2011 Ford Mustang facebook fan page admin)
Thanks for the assist. I tried the search feature but I must confess 1) only tried one search string, and 2) am not very adept with computers. I hate them. I promise I'll try to minimize pummeling dead equines in the future.

As far as modifications, I've learned my lesson in that 30 years ago (when I was 18) I was more likely to mod just for the sake of "personalizing" or even performance, but what I discovered over the years is that I rarely made my car actually BETTER and wasted a lot of money. So I'd have to say my tendency nowadays is not to mod. However, I have a friend who is a mechanic who specializes in Mustangs and can do the rear gear swap in his sleep. My other mod planned will be Flowmaster or Magnaflow axle-back exhaust because this thing is too mellow. But I won't weld it, just in case I want to re-install the stock mufflers.

One more mod planned: adjustable headrests. But I know the deal on that because I found the thread using the SEARCH function!!
Old 6/22/10, 08:44 PM

your right there. its easy to forget there is a whole segment of ppl out there that buy a car and leave it stock...
Where..here???? Say it ain't so

I'd have a whole lotta money if I could have JUST left it alone. Who knew? LOL

But it would be a very boring Stang.

Last edited by Mustangshar; 6/22/10 at 08:46 PM.
Old 6/22/10, 10:24 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mustangshar
Where..here???? Say it ain't so

I'd have a whole lotta money if I could have JUST left it alone. Who knew? LOL

But it would be a very boring Stang.
LOL. Speaking as a 2011 Mustang GT owner, I can say they are anything but boring. Can they be personalized? customized? made better? Sure, but boring? Nah
Old 6/22/10, 10:27 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Thanks for the assist. I tried the search feature but I must confess 1) only tried one search string, and 2) am not very adept with computers. I hate them. I promise I'll try to minimize pummeling dead equines in the future.

As far as modifications, I've learned my lesson in that 30 years ago (when I was 18) I was more likely to mod just for the sake of "personalizing" or even performance, but what I discovered over the years is that I rarely made my car actually BETTER and wasted a lot of money. So I'd have to say my tendency nowadays is not to mod. However, I have a friend who is a mechanic who specializes in Mustangs and can do the rear gear swap in his sleep. My other mod planned will be Flowmaster or Magnaflow axle-back exhaust because this thing is too mellow. But I won't weld it, just in case I want to re-install the stock mufflers.

One more mod planned: adjustable headrests. But I know the deal on that because I found the thread using the SEARCH function!!
You're welcome, Eric! I agree with you re the mufflers. Although the '11 sounds great at idle and at low RPM, it really does mellow out too much at higher RPM, even compared to the 2010 Mustang GT. I don't plan to do much, if any, mods to my '11 because I'm happy with it and like the factory look and feel of the car. If I do any mods, it will be to change out the mufflers. I'd have to hear the alternatives in person before I'd make the change, however. Borla, Corsa, Magnaflow are some that I'm familiar with. I haven't spent much time checking out the choices yet.

Last edited by guest01; 6/22/10 at 10:28 PM.