Sponsored By:

Who will Like and Dislike the 2010

Search this Thread

Old 12/19/08, 07:12 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not leaving

I'm not leaving.

It is true....everyone wants the newest toy. I guess I have to say if you own a GT500, it's not true.

The classic was nice while I owned it, but the new technology in nice.

We will all see how good it really looks in person.

Oh and the bad mods post - True Statement!

Old 12/19/08, 08:01 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone has been drinking way too much eggnog already.
Old 12/19/08, 08:13 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mlcinema
This is my take on the 2010. I sold my 65' Convertible for a 2011.
A bad decision, especially in the current (and future) market situation, if I may start with this.

The people who love Mustangs. It's a vast improvement over the 2005-2009.

People who love the classic muscle cars.
I qualify for both, but like is the case with many others here, there are things I like and things I dislike about the 2010.

People who think they like Chevy or Dodge.

People who have a 2005-2009 and don't want to admit the 2010 is a better all around car. True statement.
(I really do think) I like some Chevy and Dodge cars (not all, mainly Vettes and Challengers). And until recently I had an '05. I also do think the 2010 is a better all-round car, because I believe it's technically better than the 2005, too bad esthetically it's the other way around. Yet even so, I still wouldn't buy the 2010.

But these are just my opinions and while to me they may indeed be true statements, an "absolute truth" cannot be agreed upon in matters of personal taste, so I'd refrain from such statements. Trying to impose your beliefs on others, be they esthethical, political or religious, shows lack of tolerance and a less than open mind.

Oh, and by the way: green is the best colour and whoever doesn't agree is wrong!

True statement!

Last edited by Louie; 12/19/08 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12/19/08, 08:22 AM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
Someone has been drinking way too much eggnog already.
True statement!!
Old 12/19/08, 08:32 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangGuy
This is the dumbest thing I ever heard!! Yes the interior IS an improvement. But the exterior is NOT
That is not a Classic Mustang lovers idea of a rear end.
Mustang is not infallible, they too can make bad styling decisions. I will always love Mustangs but that will not blind me to the fact that overall, the '10 is NOT an improvement just a change. We will see if they correct the horrendous rear end in future years. Hope they abandon the SUV detailing and return to the true Mustang heritage.

Maybe they did this (Ugly black trim Bloated rear with floppy taillights) To lure ex SUV drivers into the Mustang! I do like the hips but given 2 choices, I would fore go the hips for a better styled rear.

They designed this rear end, as well as the rest of the 2010 Mustang, to incorporate Classic Mustang styling cues with Fords Modern Kinetic Design language. Just as the 99-04 Incorporated Classic Mustang styling cues with Fords New Edge Design Language.

Don't Speak for all of us Classic Mustang Lovers when You make broad, unfounded statements like, "That is not a Classic Mustang lovers idea of a rear end." I happen to Love the Rear End and every other aspect of the 2010. Just as much as I Love a 65-66 2+2 Fastback, 67-68 Fastback, 69-70 Sportsroof, 71-73 Sportsroof.

I Love and Embrace the 2010 for the simple fact that It Does have that "True Mustang Heritage" you so obviously don't see, and it carries it into the future, just as the 05-09 Mustang did. In my opinion the 2010 did Improve on the last generation. I Love the Classic's, but I for one am tired of looking to the past, I'm ready to move into the future. We're 10 years into a New Millennium, enough reminiscing about the last one.

BTW....All True Statements!

Last edited by TampaBear67; 12/19/08 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12/19/08, 08:33 AM
Service Manager

Received 432 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by mlcinema
This is my take on the 2010. I sold my 65' Convertible for a 2011.
Really dumb move....you sold a car that appreciates/holds value for one that will depreciate in value. If you sold the classic because you were board with it or tired of it fine but to "Sell it FOR a 2011" is a really bad financial decision....you just threw away ever bit of equity you had in the '65...congratulations!

True Statement!!!

The people who love Mustangs. It's a vast improvement over the 2005-2009.

People who love the classic muscle cars.
Every Mustang has it's good and bad points but not every Mustang owner feels the same way and people who love classic Muscle cars CAN like more than just one make and they can like or dislike different models.

True Statement!!!

People who think they like Chevy or Dodge.

People who have a 2005-2009 and don't want to admit the 2010 is a better all around car. True statement.
You make some pretty ignorant statements.....

TRUE STATEMENT!!!

Old 12/19/08, 09:19 AM
Bullitt Member

This is the dumbest thing I ever heard!! Yes the interior IS an improvement. But the exterior is NOT

Mustang is not infallible, they too can make bad styling decisions. I will always love Mustangs but that will not blind me to the fact that overall, the '10 is NOT an improvement just a change. We will see if they correct the horrendous rear end in future years. Hope they abandon the SUV detailing and return to the true Mustang heritage.

Maybe they did this (Ugly black trim Bloated rear with floppy taillights) To lure ex SUV drivers into the Mustang! I do like the hips but given 2 choices, I would fore go the hips for a better styled rear.
Just your opinion, and SUV detailing? WTF?

Last edited by instigator311; 12/19/08 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12/19/08, 09:38 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by svopaul
... Every Mustang has it's good and bad points...
You've got it.

The '65 - '68 had their reincarnation, now it's the '69 - '70's turn. Had Ford chosen to revive the '71 - '73 or the Mustang II this would be a sticky thread.
Old 12/19/08, 09:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TampaBear67
We're 10 years into a New Millennium
Not quite. The new millennium didn't start until 2001.
Old 12/19/08, 10:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Styling taste is always subjective and there is always a risk of alienating the customer base whenever a particular design element ends up being controversial or too different than what may be expected. I find nothing wrong with experimenting with new shapes or styling ideas.

Clearly Ford is trying to bring the Mustang in line so that some common styling language is related to other Ford products. Ford has been doing this forever in each decade.

However I personally find some of the current North American design cues in bits and pieces unattractive accross Ford's lineup. I clearly see some Kinetic influence shared with Ford of Europe's design themes. This is evident in new bodyside sculpturing accross Ford's lineup that is going from slab to more detailed and three dimensional. I do find that favorable.

Where I see controversy for me is some of the new design cues that are North American specific. I am not a fan of the new front end looks of the 2010 Fusion, 2009 F-150 or Super Duty Trucks. To me they look either monsterous, angry or mutant and convey apocolyptic aggression and pessimism. This seems to be a common theme that has emerged from recent Japanese, European and American design trends which seems to be used to draw attention to any particular vehicle at any cost whether the reaction is positive or negative.

None of that means I don't like new styling ideas or that all I want to see recreations of past vehicles. It simply means that some design trends effect me negatively instead of positively. If Ford creates some new styling ideas that made me react positively with a wow factor that is a different story. Take for instance, the Shelby GR1 concept looks great to me and some things borrowed from that concept to style the new 2010 Mustang I find favorable. I even find the entire rear end of the GR1 favorable. However for me personally it goes terribly wrong when they combined the GR1 rear end shapes with the same bent and creased corners on it that are now evident on most of Ford of NA's vehicle lineup. The Focus, Escape, Expedition all introduced these abruptly creased bumper corners which I found personally unfavorable. I don't care if the rationale was to make the vehicles magically appear lighter by drawing the corners in.

For the record I take no offense to the swept back ends of the Mustang's front end as the majority of the years the Mustang has been produced with this as a design cue and appears as a natural aerodynamic result to wind resistance.

I have no self-conciousness about the width or girth of the Mustang and it's substancial stance. If it was such a concern for me I would have bought a smaller vehicle in such a size such as a VW GTI, Scion tC or Cobalt SS. However resorting to what seems to me a purposly lopped off rear bumper looking like a obese woman in spandex tights will draw negative attention to itself. For me such changes should evoke a positive reaction without the compulsion to want to change it or fix it and unfortuntely it does not. So for me this go round we have the interior that does not need fixing and the exterior that does, instead of the other way around.

With feedback after an early reveal, small details of the latest Focus were changed before production. There was grille mesh added and the fog lamps converted to round from the originally programmed square. Recently the Focus Coupe got a sleeker front bumper cover and lower intake shape while they also removed the controversial faux fender vents. So it's possible some details of the 2010 Mustang could be changed before production. However I would not hold my breath on the rear changing before production. It's possible with the current amount of negative feedback that we could see an adjustment at a much later date.

The important thing is that it is not wrong for anyone to like or dislike the 2010. I say if you like it so much go buy it. If you don't like it, wait to see if they change it later or see if the aftermarket makes parts to change it. It also appears that many are going to wait for a new engine choice to appear.

I intend to keep my 2008 for as long as possible unless for some reason I become awestruck and have to have a newer model and can make it fit within my means without taking uneccessary financial risks.
Old 12/19/08, 11:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
You've got it.

The '65 - '68 had their reincarnation, now it's the '69 - '70's turn. Had Ford chosen to revive the '71 - '73 or the Mustang II this would be a sticky thread.

Our modern Mustangs are the result of a combination of styling DNA that is not unlike finding the family resemblence of offspring between two parents and each side of their families.

I actually see just a couple of things in the 05-09 that looks like it took inspiration from the 1971-73 front end which was absolutely inspired by the 1970 Shelby. If you look at the 05-09, the shape of the fender opening against the headlamp and the straight accross front edge of the hood that is level with the top of the headlamps and grille opening are more 1971-73-like while additionally the headlamps and bumper corners are canted back like earlier models. The 05-09 combines the grille shapes of the 1965-69 models into the full-width horizontal front hood edge and wide looped rectangular front end opening which simliar to 1971-73 models.

If you go to the 1973 model the bunper ends were revised to include a canted back look like previous year Mustangs had. Look closely at the top of fender forms. The 2010 model is now bladed like this 1971-73 style which is beautiful. Bladed front fenders were alway a part of the first generation Mustangs up to 1973.

The 2010 Mustang still features a similar but evolved fender to headlamp shape as the 05-09. On the 05-09 models and all 2010 models except the GT, the headlamps are divided with body color uprights at the grille ends like all pre-1970 Mustangs. On the 2010 GT, it is black across the width with no body colored uprights like the 1970 Shelby and 1971-73 Mustangs.

If I was to compare the design of the 2010 with an earlier model it resembles the 1970 Shelby the most...

The very rear end of the 05-09 Mustang looks most like the 1970 replicated while the rear of the 2010 borrows the concave decklid center of the 1969 model and melts the taillamps, quater panel and bumper cover ends in what looks like the horrific unfortunate result of tramatic burn injury and attempted skin grafting.

It's obvious the bodysides of the 2005-09 looks the most like the 1965-66 fastback with no hop-up kink in the beltline. The 2010 changes it to look more the the 1967-70 models with the clearly defined haunches and extruded more dimensional bodyside details.

Last edited by watchdevil; 12/19/08 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12/19/08, 11:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by TampaBear67

They designed this rear end, as well as the rest of the 2010 Mustang, to incorporate Classic Mustang styling cues with Fords Modern Kinetic Design language. Just as the 99-04 Incorporated Classic Mustang styling cues with Fords New Edge Design Language.

Don't Speak for all of us Classic Mustang Lovers when You make broad, unfounded statements like, "That is not a Classic Mustang lovers idea of a rear end." I happen to Love the Rear End and every other aspect of the 2010. Just as much as I Love a 65-66 2+2 Fastback, 67-68 Fastback, 69-70 Sportsroof, 71-73 Sportsroof.

I Love and Embrace the 2010 for the simple fact that It Does have that "True Mustang Heritage" you so obviously don't see, and it carries it into the future, just as the 05-09 Mustang did. In my opinion the 2010 did Improve on the last generation. I Love the Classic's, but I for one am tired of looking to the past, I'm ready to move into the future. We're 10 years into a New Millennium, enough reminiscing about the last one.

BTW....All True Statements!
If I may, without fear of reprisal, state that "this is not a classic Mustangs lovers...." I am referring to myself, the writer!!!! After all, I did state that I am a Mustang lover. Don't be so touchy. This is my opinion of which I am entitled. With that cleared up for you sir, I say good day.
Old 12/19/08, 12:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by watchdevil
Styling taste is always subjective and there is always a risk of alienating the customer base whenever a particular design element ends up being controversial or too different than what may be expected. I find nothing wrong with experimenting with new shapes or styling ideas.

Clearly Ford is trying to bring the Mustang in line so that some common styling language is related to other Ford products. Ford has been doing this forever in each decade.

However I personally find some of the current North American design cues in bits and pieces unattractive accross Ford's lineup. I clearly see some Kinetic influence shared with Ford of Europe's design themes. This is evident in new bodyside sculpturing accross Ford's lineup that is going from slab to more detailed and three dimensional. I do find that favorable.

Where I see controversy for me is some of the new design cues that are North American specific. I am not a fan of the new front end looks of the 2010 Fusion, 2009 F-150 or Super Duty Trucks. To me they look either monsterous, angry or mutant and convey apocolyptic aggression and pessimism. This seems to be a common theme that has emerged from recent Japanese, European and American design trends which seems to be used to draw attention to any particular vehicle at any cost whether the reaction is positive or negative.

None of that means I don't like new styling ideas or that all I want to see recreations of past vehicles. It simply means that some design trends effect me negatively instead of positively. If Ford creates some new styling ideas that made me react positively with a wow factor that is a different story. Take for instance, the Shelby GR1 concept looks great to me and some things borrowed from that concept to style the new 2010 Mustang I find favorable. I even find the entire rear end of the GR1 favorable. However for me personally it goes terribly wrong when they combined the GR1 rear end shapes with the same bent and creased corners on it that are now evident on most of Ford of NA's vehicle lineup. The Focus, Escape, Expedition all introduced these abruptly creased bumper corners which I found personally unfavorable. I don't care if the rationale was to make the vehicles magically appear lighter by drawing the corners in.

For the record I take no offense to the swept back ends of the Mustang's front end as the majority of the years the Mustang has been produced with this as a design cue and appears as a natural aerodynamic result to wind resistance.

I have no self-conciousness about the width or girth of the Mustang and it's substancial stance. If it was such a concern for me I would have bought a smaller vehicle in such a size such as a VW GTI, Scion tC or Cobalt SS. However resorting to what seems to me a purposly lopped off rear bumper looking like a obese woman in spandex tights will draw negative attention to itself. For me such changes should evoke a positive reaction without the compulsion to want to change it or fix it and unfortuntely it does not. So for me this go round we have the interior that does not need fixing and the exterior that does, instead of the other way around.

With feedback after an early reveal, small details of the latest Focus were changed before production. There was grille mesh added and the fog lamps converted to round from the originally programmed square. Recently the Focus Coupe got a sleeker front bumper cover and lower intake shape while they also removed the controversial faux fender vents. So it's possible some details of the 2010 Mustang could be changed before production. However I would not hold my breath on the rear changing before production. It's possible with the current amount of negative feedback that we could see an adjustment at a much later date.

The important thing is that it is not wrong for anyone to like or dislike the 2010. I say if you like it so much go buy it. If you don't like it, wait to see if they change it later or see if the aftermarket makes parts to change it. It also appears that many are going to wait for a new engine choice to appear.

I intend to keep my 2008 for as long as possible unless for some reason I become awestruck and have to have a newer model and can make it fit within my means without taking uneccessary financial risks.
You lost me at hello... anyone have the cliff notes to this novel?
Old 12/19/08, 01:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

hahhahha that was an amusing read to say the least......
.True Statement
Old 12/19/08, 03:43 PM
GT Member

I like the '10
I Like the '05-09
I like the '10 better
I still like the '05-09
I like the '99-04 the best
I lust for a '07-09 GT500
I dislike the '65,except the GT350
I dislike the '69-70 Mach 1
I LOVE THE '71-73 Mach 1
I love Camaros
...............nobody cares about any of that but me......true statement

Last edited by KatarHol; 12/19/08 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12/19/08, 03:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm wearing ladies underwear. <---- False statement.

Or is it?
Old 12/19/08, 03:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Waiter.....Can I please get a little Cheese, to go with this Whine?

Old 12/19/08, 08:15 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by instigator311
Just your opinion, and SUV detailing? WTF?
EVERY time I see a Honda CRV now, the first thing that comes to mind is 2010 Mustang rear end.
Name:  img_048.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  37.6 KB
Old 12/19/08, 09:01 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,621 Posts
For the most part, I really like everything about the 2010, however I cannot stand that black plastic rear fascia. Which IMO, belongs on a Chevy Avalanche SUV, and not on an American Icon, such as our beloved Mustang.

The bottom line, is if I really wanted an SUV. I would've bought one. At any rate, I feel pretty confident the aftermarket will design a replacement rear fascia for the 2010+

In the meantime, until Ford drops the new black box device. I'll be holding onto my current 05 GT indefinitely !
Old 12/19/08, 09:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by zzcoop
I'm wearing ladies underwear. <---- False statement.

Or is it?
I love ladies underwear.(just not on Aaron) true statement!

Quick Reply: Who will Like and Dislike the 2010