2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

When it rains, it pours (no insult to the Southeast)

Search this Thread

Old 9/30/22 | 03:49 PM
Legacy Tms Member

When it rains, it pours (no insult to the Southeast)

Hey, all. My problem with the vibration hasn't been fixed yet, still waiting for parts. But now I have a new one. I went out to pair a new cell phone with the Sync and it wasn't going smoothly. I finally got a pairing code to display on the Mustang but the phone just wasn't linking. But that's not the problem, I think that will work out eventually. No, I decided to go ahead an start the car. Won't turn over, the brake pedal has gotten really hard, I can't shift it out of (park) and into neutral, and there's a clicking like a solenoid coming from the engine compartment. The traction control system light flashes on in time with the click. Premature battery failure? Its only 3 years old (Interstate from Costco). Of course its in a car shelter so I can't get real close to it to attempt a jump. Ideas?

Last edited by junkman9096; 9/30/22 at 03:54 PM.
Old 9/30/22 | 04:25 PM
The Analog Admin!

Sounds Like a Dead Battery!

Try a Charge! Needs a Hot Battery for Any Programming! Needs to Be Disconnected Anyway to Reset Everything. Most Local Auto Parts Will Test Batteries. Might Find one That Sells Interstate For any Warranty! Does the Costco Have an Automotive Shop?? Also Can Call Interstate for Process on Dead Battery.

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...5d671f8f88da67

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/30/22 at 04:31 PM.
Old 9/30/22 | 05:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Battery Tender and an extension cord maybe.
Old 9/30/22 | 06:39 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Once a battery is fully discharged, a battery tender will not restore it.. The purpose of a battery tender is to keep a battery fully conditioned and maintained... In the meantime, I would suggest connecting the discharged battery onto a battery charger until fully restored or replace the discharged battery altogether
Old 9/30/22 | 07:06 PM
The Analog Admin!

I will add in Some Weirdness on Battery Chargers!

Many times My High Tech Automatic Computerized Battery Charger / Booster would test a Battery and Say Replace. It Would Not attempt to Charge or Jumpstart.

Then I stick my 1970's Sears Finest! Battery Charger on No Prob, it Would Charge away and Sometimes The Battery would Be Just Fine! If Not at Least it Tried! Just an FYI!

As Usual Old School Rules!

I got a Load Tester These Days with So Many Cars & Batteries It Comes in Handy!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/30/22 at 07:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05stangkc:
dusman59 (10/1/22), m05fastbackGT (9/30/22)
Old 9/30/22 | 07:22 PM

As the saying goes "Sure Don't Make Em Like They Used To" lol.
Old 9/30/22 | 07:43 PM
Legacy Tms Member

I had a battery tender but its on my motorcycle. Bad news/good news result-the battery was not sufficiently viable to operate the car so I took it to Costco where I bought it. Still had the record of the purchase and wonder of wonders; there was still 3 days left on the 36 month warranty. Got a brand new battery for $4.06. Let me repeat 4 US dollars and 6 cents. They didn't extend the warranty naturally but now I've got a new battery. Installed it myself and it fired up like it was eager to. I even linked the new phone to the SYNC system; after 2 glasses of wine with dinner and there's about an inch still left in the bottle that's in serious danger. Sometimes you just stumble through life and it all turns out ok. Thanks guys. I'll update when I have the beauty all back and up to snuff. Truth be told I did suspect a bad battery by its behavior but didn't want to believe it would fail after 36 months. I got over 60 with the OEM battery.

Last edited by junkman9096; 9/30/22 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10/1/22 | 06:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Once a battery is fully discharged, a battery tender will not restore it.. The purpose of a battery tender is to keep a battery fully conditioned and maintained... In the meantime, I would suggest connecting the discharged battery onto a battery charger until fully restored or replace the discharged battery altogether
My NOCO 7200 Genius will bring them back and then repair them and it is also what I use to desulfate the other 3 running vehicles batteries at least once a year. I would call it a Charger/Maintainer I guess, it is my batter tender since I had a newer Schumacher trickle charger over charge and fry my Mustang battery about 5 or 6 years ago.

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
I will add in Some Weirdness on Battery Chargers!

Many times My High Tech Automatic Computerized Battery Charger / Booster would test a Battery and Say Replace. It Would Not attempt to Charge or Jumpstart.

Then I stick my 1970's Sears Finest! Battery Charger on No Prob, it Would Charge away and Sometimes The Battery would Be Just Fine! If Not at Least it Tried! Just an FYI!

As Usual Old School Rules!

I got a Load Tester These Days with So Many Cars & Batteries It Comes in Handy!

KC
This is why I still have my Schumacher 10/40/200 6/12 volt charger, not only will it charge it it will also Jump it if needed.

Originally Posted by junkman9096
I had a battery tender but its on my motorcycle. Bad news/good news result-the battery was not sufficiently viable to operate the car so I took it to Costco where I bought it. Still had the record of the purchase and wonder of wonders; there was still 3 days left on the 36 month warranty. Got a brand new battery for $4.06. Let me repeat 4 US dollars and 6 cents. They didn't extend the warranty naturally but now I've got a new battery. Installed it myself and it fired up like it was eager to. I even linked the new phone to the SYNC system; after 2 glasses of wine with dinner and there's about an inch still left in the bottle that's in serious danger. Sometimes you just stumble through life and it all turns out ok. Thanks guys. I'll update when I have the beauty all back and up to snuff. Truth be told I did suspect a bad battery by its behavior but didn't want to believe it would fail after 36 months. I got over 60 with the OEM battery.
Glad you got it figured out and fixed.
BTW this is the reason I desulfate/repair my batteries at least one a year and always run the charger/maintainer on them when I change oil to bring them back up to 100% at least for 1 day. Too many things are always running in newer vehicles and we end up not driving our vehicles long enough at one time to bring it back to 100%
The following 2 users liked this post by Siber Express:
05stangkc (10/1/22), m05fastbackGT (10/1/22)
Old 10/1/22 | 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Siber Express
My NOCO 7200 Genius will bring them back and then repair them and it is also what I use to desulfate the other 3 running vehicles batteries at least once a year. I would call it a Charger/Maintainer I guess, it is my batter tender since I had a newer Schumacher trickle charger over charge and fry my Mustang battery about 5 or 6 years ago.

This is why I still have my Schumacher 10/40/200 6/12 volt charger, not only will it charge it it will also Jump it if needed.

Glad you got it figured out and fixed.
BTW this is the reason I desulfate/repair my batteries at least one a year and always run the charger/maintainer on them when I change oil to bring them back up to 100% at least for 1 day. Too many things are always running in newer vehicles and we end up not driving our vehicles long enough at one time to bring it back to 100%
I also just stumbled upon an article which states my battery minder plus #12117 can also restore a discharged battery up to 80% capacity, providing the battery has a minimum voltage of 3 volts and above... Anyhow, I must had misunderstood, as I thought you were referring to battery maintainers as being one in the same as a traditional battery charger which also has the ability to jump start a dead battery... Therefore, I stand corrected

Article quote:
A fully discharged 15 Amp-Hour battery will take approximately 10 hours to recharge to 80% capacity. WORKING WITH A DEAD BATTERY OR A BATTERY WITH A VERY LOW VOLTAGE: If you try to charge a dead battery having a voltage below 3 Volts, the Battery Tender® Plus charger will not start.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/1/22 at 04:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Siber Express (10/2/22)