Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

wheels/tires dilema (2010 GT) - input please

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/12, 07:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,029 Posts
Question wheels/tires dilema (2010 GT) - input please

I am trying to decide what new wheels/tires to put on my 2010 GT, would like some input. My wish list is:
- black wheels to go with my red and black color theme and make the car look "meaner"
- I like the classic 5-spoke look, Bullitt style or similar ; also like the silver lip of the deep-dish bullitt wheels
- maintain decent ride while improving handling and traction
- not too much decrease in MPG -- maybe an MPG or two would be OK, more than that and I will be bummin'
- if possible, clear big brakes . . . right now I have the stock brakes, and I don't track the car (yet), but someday I might get the car on a track and might upgrade the brakes

The car is my daily driver so I don't want to ruin it as a daily driver -- meaning I don't want the ride to be overly harsh (firm is OK) and I don't want to kill my gas mileage (yeah I know, if I want mileage I should get a Prius, but I really like the stang because it gets decent mileage AND is fun to drive at the same time)

I have narrowed it down to three choices:

1) 18" deep dish staggered black bullits (9"/255 front, 10"/275 rear)
pros: classic look with silver lip, reasonable price from AM, good width front and rear for handling/traction
cons: won't clear big brakes, reduces MPG?

2) 18" FRPP black bullitts (8.5"-255 front and rear)
pros: very attractive pricing, classic 5-spoke look (but no lip), 255 tires might be good compromise on MPG and handling/traction, made in USA
cons: won't clear big brakes, relatively narrow rear tires

3) 20" Shelby CS70 (9"-255/35 front, 10"-285/30 rear)
pros: I think they will look awesome, classic 5-spoke with modern flair; low profile tires should give real crisp handling; will clear big brakes; shelby should be high quality
cons: MPG reduction?, current brakes will look tiny, harsh ride due to very low sidewall?, relatively high price (but still somewhat reasonable)

So, I'm looking for input / suggestions --
- do I have the pros and cons right?
- how much MPG reduction should I expect with the wide tires on 18" wheels, and how much more with the 20" wheels?
- how harsh will the ride be with the 20" wheels? (right now I have stock suspension, but planning to lower it with GT500 shocks/struts and Steeda sport springs in the near future)
- anything else I didn't think of; other thoughts or suggestions?

Yes of course in the end it is up to me, I am not asking you to choose for me, but appreciate your thoughts and suggestions!

PS -- sorry for the long post, I hope you can get through it!