Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Wheel ding at dealer

Search this Thread

Old 3/20/11, 09:09 AM
GT Member

Received 353 Likes on 244 Posts
Wheel ding at dealer

Alright, so here is the story. Right front wheel on my GT500 was slowly losing air. Only had 500 miles on the car, so back to the dealer. They could not find any problems, so aired it up and waited. 2 weeks later, back in. This time they pulled the seal out of the valve stem, cleaned it and reassembled. More air, try again. Went back a third time. This time they found a slow leak at the bead. Reseated the tire, inflated to 40 psi and waited for 3 weeks. All is good. Except for the chip in the paint and scratch.

The dealer wants to have it repaired. I know I will not be satisfied unless it is perfect. Has anyone repaired a wheel? Were you happy with the results? Should I insist on replacement? It was damaged because of a manufacturer defect.

Another option - purchase a tire/wheel combo from Ford. My thought is take dealer cost, subtract the cost of the repair, and I'll pay that. Does anyone know dealer cost on the 19x9.5 with P255/40ZR19 mounted?
Old 3/20/11, 09:35 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The wheel on the wife's Porsche was curbed at the dealership.

They had it professionally repaired.

It was sent back to be re-done because the first attempt wasn't "perfect".

The wheel looks very good.

It is possible to distinguish from the others, mostly from the subtle sheen difference on the back side. The outside is almost a perfect match, just the smallest of sheen difference exists on the outside.
Old 3/20/11, 09:37 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A good wheel repair shop can make it like new and nobody would be able to tell it was repaired.
Old 3/20/11, 10:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 4x4xFord
Alright, so here is the story. Right front wheel on my GT500 was slowly losing air. Only had 500 miles on the car, so back to the dealer. They could not find any problems, so aired it up and waited. 2 weeks later, back in. This time they pulled the seal out of the valve stem, cleaned it and reassembled. More air, try again. Went back a third time. This time they found a slow leak at the bead. Reseated the tire, inflated to 40 psi and waited for 3 weeks. All is good. Except for the chip in the paint and scratch.

The dealer wants to have it repaired. I know I will not be satisfied unless it is perfect. Has anyone repaired a wheel? Were you happy with the results? Should I insist on replacement? It was damaged because of a manufacturer defect.

Another option - purchase a tire/wheel combo from Ford. My thought is take dealer cost, subtract the cost of the repair, and I'll pay that. Does anyone know dealer cost on the 19x9.5 with P255/40ZR19 mounted?
Greg,
Depending on how bad the wheel is damaged, i would think that it could be repaired at a reputable wheel shop so that it could be bring back to new like condition . If it is chipped so that it needs some kind of filler or bondo to be applied, i would ask for a new wheel. Have any pics !

Last edited by montreal ponies; 3/20/11 at 10:12 AM.
Old 3/20/11, 11:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

I would insist on a new wheel.
Old 3/20/11, 03:00 PM
GT Member

I had a similar issue a couple of months ago. I ran over a screw and took it in to have them plug the tire. It was the same dealership I’ve used for years but it changed ownership about a year ago and I’ve noticed a few small issues the last couple of times I’ve been there for service.

They were able to plug the tire but scratched my rim (18” Polished Aluminum) in multiple places. They were deep scratches too. They told me they were going to take the rim off and send it to be “refurbished”. I don’t know what they did but I would swear it was a new rim. It looks brand new and I can’t tell where it was ever scratched. I was very pleasantly surprised at the result.

Here are a couple of the deeper scratches.

Yes, there is a ton of dust on the rims from them parking my car outside for two days. They were doing construction in the front of the dealership and my car was the filthiest it has ever been. That just added to my frustration. They did fix their mistake with the rim and I washed my car but I won’t go back to that dealership again.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel ding at dealer-img_1823.jpg   Wheel ding at dealer-img_1824.jpg  

Last edited by IguanaKeepr; 3/20/11 at 04:12 PM.
Old 3/20/11, 04:02 PM
Cobra R Member

repairing will be the easiest... And it looks fine.

https://themustangsource.com/f726/ju...f-sick-488546/
Old 3/20/11, 07:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

The dealer chipped my wheel during my first rotation. I pointed it out to the service manager and he replaced the wheel no questions asked.