Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:
View Poll Results: Would You Consider this Safety Feature as an Option On Your Mustang?
Yes: I Think It's Really Cool, and I Gotta Have It! Especially to Go With The LED Sequential Tail Lights.
30.00%
Yeah: It's Cool I'd Consider it As An Optional Safety Feature.
33.33%
Ehhh: It's OK But Only As An Option, I Could Live Without It
23.33%
No: I Wouldn't Choose Them, Even If They Were Optional.
13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

What's Next on the 2010. Sequential LED Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/08, 12:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What's Next on the 2010. Sequential LED Headlights?

What's Next on the 2010 Mustang, Since it has LED Sequential Tail Lights what's next? Will the 2011 0r 2012 have LED Sequential Headlights? If it trickles down from Lincoln it will. Read the Article Posted here, over on BON about Lincolns Industry First use of LED Sequential Adaptive Headlights..

Next Generation Of Ford Headlights To Make Driving Safer
They really remind me of the HID Light setup on the 2010, so I don't see why the technology couldn't cross over. Check out the Video Too it's a Pretty Cool Safety Feature, I think.

Check out the Video Here : http://www.blueovalnews.com/media/li...3prototype.wmv

Would You Want Them On Your Mustang as an Optional Safety Feature?

The Lincolns Lights Below Remind Me of The 2010's Projector Lights Above, I do not mean their shape but the Detailing Inside.

Here's a Quick Photoshop I did of How I think They Would Look On a Mustang, Using Light Pipes Around the Sequential Unit for Turn Signals.

Attached Thumbnails What's Next on the 2010. Sequential LED Headlights?-led-seq-hl.jpg  

Last edited by TampaBear67; 12/9/08 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12/9/08, 01:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is anyone else trying to wrap their head around the concept of sequential headlights? Why would you ever need it? Feels like a gimmick to me.

Last edited by Stormbringer; 12/9/08 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12/9/08, 01:46 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
OK, having read the link I see they are the next generation "swivelling" headlights. So, yeah, they look cool and are an added safety feature. Your photoshop looks good too.
Old 12/9/08, 02:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Stormbringer
Is anyone else trying to wrap their head around the concept of sequential headlights? Why would you ever need it? Feels like a gimmick to me.

Did you read the article or watch the Video? It's a Safety Feature.
Several Car Companies Have Adaptive Headlights Now in Production, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus to name a few, but as the article said they just Swivel the Head Lights Following the Arc of the Steering Wheel, and taking the Main Beams Focus Off the View Directly Ahead. Kinda Like Turning a Flashlight Beam Around a Corner. This System Adds the Sequential LED's Along with Fixed Beam Projectors to Light The Path Into the Corner as Well As Ahead.

Thanks TwinTurbo.

Last edited by TampaBear67; 12/9/08 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12/9/08, 02:33 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I remember my mother's '86 Lincoln Town Car and I think the '81 she had also had a corner light. It was low on the car on the side and was white. The left side would light up when the left blinker went on and the right side with the right blinker. It was rudimentary but very effective. I was always amazed at the difference it made being able to illuminate into the corners straight out the side of the car like that. I like Lincoln's new approach as a modern day upgrade. I think it's a great idea. I like the projectors on the 2010 and this would fit in quite nicely in the outside corner. Good job Shawn.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 12/9/08 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12/9/08, 02:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I remember my mother's '86 Lincoln Town Car and I think the '81 she had also had a corner light. It was low on the car on the side and was white. The left side would light up when the left blinker went on and the right side with the right blinker. It was rudimentary but very effective. I was always amzed at the difference it made being able to illuminate into the corners straight out the side of the car like that. I like Lincolns new approach as a modern day upgrade. I think it's a great idea. I like the projectors on the 2010 and this would fit in quite nicely in the outside corner. Good job Shawn.

Thanks Gary, I've had quite a few Fords with those Cornering Lights. My 84, 87, and 89 Thunderbird's, and My 92 Mark VII. The do really make a difference, and I'd Love to see something like this.
Old 12/9/08, 02:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would definitely consider it. The chop looks cool Shawn!
Old 12/9/08, 05:08 PM
Closet American

Why not? If it can be integrated with the timeless Mustang design ethos, I see no reason why it shouldn't be added into the mix like any other piece of 21st century technology (i.e. LED taillights, NAV, SYNC, etc). This IS the 21st century, after all.

But to reiterate: only if it can be added without spoiling Mustang's timeless (some call that classic) design direction.
Old 12/9/08, 05:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Why not? If it can be integrated with the timeless Mustang design ethos, I see no reason why it shouldn't be added into the mix like any other piece of 21st century technology (i.e. LED taillights, NAV, SYNC, etc). This IS the 21st century, after all.

But to reiterate: only if it can be added without spoiling Mustang's timeless (some call that classic) design direction.
I Knew Someone Would Say That!

I Almost added wording to my post like that but said Nahhhh. I just did the Photoshop instead to show it could be done without changing anything except the lights. If you noticed I even incorporated the "Tri Bar" Tail Light Shaped theme into the Sequential Section of the Lamps to help tie the design specifically to the Mustang, and even thought about the LED "Light Pipe" Turn Signals being almost Horse Shoe Shaped. It's All In the Details! That's why I Love the 2010 So Much! So Many Wonderful Details in My Opinion.
Old 12/9/08, 05:29 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaBear67
Several Car Companies Have Adaptive Headlights Now in Production, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus to name a few, but as the article said they just Swivel the Head Lights Following the Arc of the Steering Wheel, and taking the Main Beams Focus Off the View Directly Ahead. Kinda Like Turning a Flashlight Beam Around a Corner.

Thanks TwinTurbo.
I think it's funny how highend foreign car companies promote this feature as some huge technological innovation of the 21st century. The center headlight on the Tucker did that 60 years ago. Truly ahead of his time.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 12/9/08 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12/9/08, 05:31 PM
Closet American

I Knew Someone Would Say That!

I Almost added wording to my post like that but said Nahhhh. I just did the Photoshop instead to show it could be done without changing anything except the lights. If you noticed I even incorporated the "Tri Bar" Tail Light Shaped theme into the Sequential Section of the Lamps to help tie the design specifically to the Mustang, and even thought about the LED "Light Pipe" Turn Signals being almost Horse Shoe Shaped. It's All In the Details! That's why I Love the 2010 So Much! So Many Wonderful Details in My Opinion.
Only issue is that those LED headlights - in order to work right - have to wrap around the corners to ILLUMINATE around corners. Not sure if the front of the Mustang is curvaceous enough...like the MKS.
Old 12/9/08, 05:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Trust me, I thought about that too, I believe the Headlights are Canted Back Far Enough that they should work fine. You also have to factor in Reflector Angles which could be tweaked to Throw More Light Out to each side as well.
Old 12/9/08, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very interesting Tampa! Keep up the good work! I think the chop of the V6 front end looks even better yet with your design. I also really like the idea of the Mustang having it's own unique "light signature" at night on the highway. It would make the car more identifiable (if that's possible) to other people on the road, much like the new audis which aren't sequential but use neat LED technology to set them apart from anything else on the road.
Attached Images  
Old 12/9/08, 09:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Did you read the article or watch the Video? It's a Safety Feature.
Several Car Companies Have Adaptive Headlights Now in Production, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus to name a few, but as the article said they just Swivel the Head Lights Following the Arc of the Steering Wheel, and taking the Main Beams Focus Off the View Directly Ahead. Kinda Like Turning a Flashlight Beam Around a Corner. This System Adds the Sequential LED's Along with Fixed Beam Projectors to Light The Path Into the Corner as Well As Ahead.

Thanks TwinTurbo.
I did... I guess I would have to drive a vehicle that had to to formulate a full opinion but it still seems like its more gee whiz than real safety.
Old 12/9/08, 09:43 PM
Cobra R Member

What it does is Increases Your Reaction Time, if there is Something Around the Curve, that Without the Adaptive Sequential Lights You Wouldn't Normally See.

Say you're Driving around the Twisty Mountain Roads in California and on a pitch black, unlit, 2 Lane Road. As you are going around a tight curve there is a boulder in the middle of the road. If you didn't have the adaptive headlights your lights would be shining directly forward over the cliff and you wouldn't see that boulder until the last second. But with the adaptive lights, they would be following the road with your eyes, and steering inputs. Which might just make the difference of you living, or driving over the edge of the cliff after hitting that boulder.