Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What are your goto not-horribly-expensive exhausts?

Search this Thread

Old 4/16/14, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JCStang
Does resonator delete just add more volume or does tone change as well?
just volume.
Old 4/16/14, 06:35 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
The only good answer to this question is the GT-500's. Other than that, cheap exhausts are all going to drone, and drone sucks. Save up for Borlas or Corsas, or go with GT-500's.
You nailed it Kyle.
Old 4/17/14, 01:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For everyone that has the GT500's; is everyone running the single tip?
I'm debating between brand new single tip GT500's, OR a set of used quad tip take offs and a new valence. Costing the same as the single tips, just paying for the valence really.

I was also planning to add the boss H pipe with QTP cutouts for those long drives that way it's not obnoxiously loud ALL THE TIME.

I understand the quad tip is louder and a more aggressive look.

I'll go with whatever the majority tells me.
Daily driver, just looking for an aggressive but "tame" sound that doesn't scream "jackass".
Old 4/17/14, 01:58 PM
Bullitt Member

I only wanted the GT500's because I'm afraid anything "better" - ie: Borla S-Types will be too loud for my neighbourhood.

Last edited by Moejoe_989; 4/17/14 at 02:01 PM.
Old 4/17/14, 02:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by 2014GHIGGT
X4 to the GT500 Mufflers. That's the route I am going. For warranty reasons I am going with the M-FR1-MGTB power pack. I know there are better tunes out there but I am not going to give Ford any reason to deny a claim.
This is exactly what I got.
I installed the mufflers and love them.
I ran the car at the drag strip last night to get a base line time, now I will get the tune put on next week and see what difference the tune truly makes in performance! Good del too I bought the power package through American Muscle with the forum discount it was like $560
Old 4/17/14, 02:32 PM
Bullitt Member

700+ for borla? Lmao. That's a lot of money for sound. I'm not cheap but if I'm gonna pay 700 for a part. It's going to serve a functional purpose.
Old 4/17/14, 03:17 PM
I Have No Life

^ isn't sound, functional? Depending on who you ask? Sound functional for:
a) scaring people
b) scaring Priuses
c) waking up neighbors
d) intimidating other drivers
e) intimidating passersby
f) impressing other drivers
g) impressing passersby

besides, who pays 700 for a borla set?
Old 4/17/14, 03:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Moejoe_989
I only wanted the GT500's because I'm afraid anything "better" - ie: Borla S-Types will be too loud for my neighbourhood.
My GT500/resonator delete is loud on a cold start. I hope my neighbors sleep solid because it does has some volume, that's for sure.
Old 4/17/14, 03:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Automatic 5.0
My GT500/resonator delete is loud on a cold start. I hope my neighbors sleep solid because it does has some volume, that's for sure.
That's my concern. But I'm sure I'll be more than pleased with the axle backs and resonator delete at a later date.
Do you have the single tip or the quad tips?
Old 4/17/14, 04:15 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Automatic 5.0
That's my concern. But I'm sure I'll be more than pleased with the axle backs and resonator delete at a later date. Do you have the single tip or the quad tips?
If you guys think gt500s are loud, I'd wonder what you thought of a borla or corsa full catback setup . It's heaven if it was in hell
Old 4/17/14, 04:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For everyone that has the GT500's; is everyone running the single tip?
I'm debating between brand new single tip GT500's, OR a set of used quad tip take offs and a new valence. Costing the same as the single tips, just paying for the valence really.

I was also planning to add the boss H pipe with QTP cutouts for those long drives that way it's not obnoxiously loud ALL THE TIME.

I understand the quad tip is louder and a more aggressive look.

I'll go with whatever the majority tells me.
Daily driver, just looking for an aggressive but "tame" sound that doesn't scream "jackass".
That is the exact setup I will be running. I already have the Boss side exhaust on. QTP cut-outs are ordered, GT500 rear valance is ordered and hopefully the quad tip GT500 exhaust mufflers will be shipping from a member soon.
Old 4/17/14, 04:40 PM
V6 Member

Anyone know some good OTA pipes? Just the pipes, I already have an Axleback I don't want to sell, mainly just make louder, and I don't want to cut my exhaust.
Old 4/17/14, 04:48 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by RC13GT
Anyone know some good OTA pipes? Just the pipes, I already have an Axleback I don't want to sell, mainly just make louder, and I don't want to cut my exhaust.
Borla.
Old 4/17/14, 05:30 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Borla.
thanks. Would those fit the RTR exhaust? Magnaflow makes the RTR.
Old 4/17/14, 05:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
That is the exact setup I will be running. I already have the Boss side exhaust on. QTP cut-outs are ordered, GT500 rear valance is ordered and hopefully the quad tip GT500 exhaust mufflers will be shipping from a member soon.
I've been wondering if anybody's just played around with the hole in the baffle plate, widen it a bit and see how that affects it. Stands to reason you could end up tuning the sound just how you like it, rather than all or nothing with the cutout?

I haven't heard a baffle-less Boss in person though, so it might all be gibberish.
Old 4/17/14, 06:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by lakeguy77
I've been wondering if anybody's just played around with the hole in the baffle plate, widen it a bit and see how that affects it. Stands to reason you could end up tuning the sound just how you like it, rather than all or nothing with the cutout? I haven't heard a baffle-less Boss in person though, so it might all be gibberish.
I've heard of people drilling the baffles out, and also it was suggested you can buy the baffles pre-drilled to different sizes.
I might try different things but I'll be sure to post videos when I do!
Old 4/17/14, 06:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That's my concern. But I'm sure I'll be more than pleased with the axle backs and resonator delete at a later date.
Do you have the single tip or the quad tips?

They are the single tips from a 2012 GT500. They sound great. Not sure what they would have sounded like with the resonators since I did everything at the same time. And I normally leave the house around 0615 so the neighbors better be up anyway getting ready for work, except for the 78 year old man across the street. He's a school crossing guard though and is probably up before me anyway.
Old 4/17/14, 06:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've heard of people drilling the baffles out, and also it was suggested you can buy the baffles pre-drilled to different sizes.
I might try different things but I'll be sure to post videos when I do!
I did see an eBay seller that had the baffle plates in all different sizes going in 1/8" increments, but that's a couple months ago that I saw it. I'll see if I can find it again, might help out your project.

EDIT: I found this but they're rediculously expensive:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2012-Newer-Fo...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

PS sorry about the eBay Canada link.

Last edited by lakeguy77; 4/17/14 at 06:56 PM.
Old 4/17/14, 06:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by lakeguy77
I've been wondering if anybody's just played around with the hole in the baffle plate, widen it a bit and see how that affects it. Stands to reason you could end up tuning the sound just how you like it, rather than all or nothing with the cutout?

I haven't heard a baffle-less Boss in person though, so it might all be gibberish.
You can search this forum and you can find old thread around the time when then the 2012 Boss 302 came out. Guys experimented and the most popular larger size was 3/4". There are a bunch of vid clips too.
Old 4/17/14, 07:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace
You can search this forum and you can find old thread around the time when then the 2012 Boss 302 came out. Guys experimented and the most popular larger size was 3/4". There are a bunch of vid clips too.
I just googled it and found a good thread on the teamshelby forum, but no videos yet.

This is one of the reasons I went with the GT500's, so that I can pair them with the Boss side exhaust down the road. I'd love to have a Boss, I looked at a couple of used ones, but one had been in a MAJOR wreck, the other had higher, and obviously exuberant mileage on it. So I figured I'd build a Boss Junior. I don't plan to do the intake manifold, but I'm eyeing up the Track Key, exhaust, and I've already bought brake lines and (for show) the coil covers. No Boss stripes or anything, but I'd like it to sound like one, and get 90-95% of the performance when I'm done.

Quick Reply: What are your goto not-horribly-expensive exhausts?