The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   What are your goto not-horribly-expensive exhausts? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/what-your-goto-not-horribly-expensive-exhausts-529609/)

rhrh 4/13/14 02:30 PM

What are your goto not-horribly-expensive exhausts?

I am looking into a few new mods for the GT and a top priority on the list is... exhausts! I'm not looking at spending too much since I have other mods in mind too. Really I am looking to spend not much more than 400 on some axle-backs. I have looked at a couple that I cannot decide on and the sound clips aren't helping. Here are the 3 I have looked at in order of which I am leaning towards

1. Ford Racing GT500 Style
2. Flowmaster Outlaws
3. The Pypes pype-bomb

I am looking to make it louder but not obnoxious, and not all the time like some fart cannons. Drone is also a problem because this is my daily. What do ya'll think? What do you have and how do you like it compared to the rest?

Moejoe_989 4/13/14 02:35 PM

I'm in the same boat as you: up at 6:00 am some mornings and leaving 11:30 pm some nights for drives.

The car is my daily driver, I want loud but not obnoxious, zero drone and I don't want to break the bank.

I honestly think the GT500's fit the bill for all if the above requirements.

People have stated that even with modifications; such as resonator removal there is zero drone. The general censuses is that for the price, these can't be beat.

I'm ordering a set this week, and waiting for extra cash to get the boss quad side exhaust with QTP cutouts.

BlueFirePony 4/13/14 02:47 PM

Ford racing Sport exhaust are great. I have them and everyone loves the sound of them. ZERO drone and not abnosious loud but I have a V6 mustang

lakeguy77 4/13/14 02:57 PM

GT500 all the way. Researched a ton, and every thread like this (better sound that doesn't piss off the neighbors or empty the wallet) comes down to those and those alone. They're half the price of anything else, so buyers remorse is zero if you want to go bigger a year or two later. And going louder is just a $50 resonator removal away. Its truly a no-brainer.

2012GT 4/13/14 03:19 PM

Gt500's minus resonators

TheDivaDanielle 4/13/14 03:27 PM

GT500's minus resonators.

clucas 4/13/14 04:55 PM

I've got the Pype Bombs on mine. I love it. It is pretty loud at lower speeds, and really loud at high RPMs. I can cruise into my neighborhood at night without making too much noise though. There is some drone right at 2000 rpm. I've found it pretty easy to drop it to just under or bump it to just above that if it bothers me. I did just finish installing my aftermarket stereo system, so now i don't hear the drone at all.

2014GHIGGT 4/13/14 05:07 PM

X4 to the GT500 Mufflers. That's the route I am going. For warranty reasons I am going with the M-FR1-MGTB power pack. I know there are better tunes out there but I am not going to give Ford any reason to deny a claim.

FromZto5 4/13/14 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by 2012GT (Post 6787630)
Gt500's minus resonators

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle (Post 6787635)
GT500's minus resonators.

Twins or same person? Sync?

Kidding.

JCStang 4/13/14 05:08 PM

GT500's....paid under $298 for them shipped. Sound great.

70monte 4/13/14 06:44 PM

I will put in my vote for the GT500's too.

Wayne

rhrh 4/13/14 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Moejoe_989 (Post 6787592)
I'm in the same boat as you: up at 6:00 am some mornings and leaving 11:30 pm some nights for drives.

The car is my daily driver, I want loud but not obnoxious, zero drone and I don't want to break the bank.

I honestly think the GT500's fit the bill for all if the above requirements.

People have stated that even with modifications; such as resonator removal there is zero drone. The general censuses is that for the price, these can't be beat.

I'm ordering a set this week, and waiting for extra cash to get the boss quad side exhaust with QTP cutouts.

I think the general consensus here is the GT500's lol. It will be a birthday treat to myself this week!

rhrh 4/13/14 07:41 PM

And I will be looking into the resonator delete's too

Plim 4/13/14 08:47 PM

I will also be going for the gt500's , but I don't like the tips on them. The original tips on the standard GT exhaust (rolled tip) is so much more beter looking. Does anyone have any good, not too expensive solutions to better looking tips?

5.M0NSTER 4/13/14 09:14 PM

I just got my GT500s installed 2 weeks ago. Love them! :nice: It really changes the sound of the car. Deeper, throatier more guttural sound. Still pretty quiet at idle, but gets progressively louder as the RPMs soar. For under $300 this was the winner in my book. I may contemplate res delete at some point, but for now I'm very happy with them. :D

Stevedotmil 4/14/14 04:08 AM

Kooks because of sound, quality, price. That burble cost me a bunch of money in gas.

ace72ace 4/14/14 06:52 AM

GT500 for budget friendly upgrade. Before you swap them out, start your cold car and let it idle a good 10 minutes, then look under your stock mufflers. Is there a small puddle of water on the ground for exhaust condensation? You will discover the GT500s will leave puddles from 'weep slots', and I am curious if the OEM mufflers don't have them, or are a different design and don't 'weep' at all.

You can see what I'm talking about here toward the end of the video.

5.M0NSTER 4/14/14 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by ace72ace (Post 6787917)
GT500 for budget friendly upgrade. Before you swap them out, start your cold car and let it idle a good 10 minutes, then look under your stock mufflers. Is there a small puddle of water on the ground for exhaust condensation? You will discover the GT500s will leave puddles from 'weep slots', and I am curious if the OEM mufflers don't have them, or are a different design and don't 'weep' at all.

You can see what I'm talking about here toward the end of the video.

My OE mufflers had that too. One of them did anyway. I'd notice a puddle under the driver side muffler closest to the axle. I can see the GT500s doing it too since base mechanical package is pretty much the same.

Automatic 5.0 4/14/14 07:36 AM

I have my GT500 mufflers and mid pipes off of a 2012 and cannot wait to install them. I do not have a lift so I am taking to a friend of my brother's who has done exhaust work for at least 25 years. I have heard the midpipes are a direct bolt in. I guess we'll find out soon.

Automatic 5.0 4/14/14 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER (Post 6787933)
My OE mufflers had that too. One of them did anyway. I'd notice a puddle under the driver side muffler closest to the axle. I can see the GT500s doing it too since base mechanical package is pretty much the same.

Same here. I parked my car backwards in the driveway yesterday where the car sits angled down in the front and noticed both stock GT mufflers were dripping condensation out of them where there is a front weep hole. The GT500 mufflers have the same hole so I expect they will do the same thing.