2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What would you like to see?!

Search this Thread

Old 4/18/06, 11:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Disch1 @ April 14, 2006, 6:40 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Hybrid>? OK heck YAH . Sounds strange I know but all the hybrids out there are SUVs or Just plane stupid looking. Why not have a Hybrid that looks cool or have a Key switch to change settings to performance on the weekend and econno durring the week.

[/b][/quote]

amen brotha!

I'm not sure if we'd see a hybrid mustang come out in 2010... we're supposed to see the fusion in 2008, the 500 and edge probably in 2009. They're aiming at 250,000 hybrids a year in 2010. I dunno, could the escape, edge, 500 and fusion and all the platform siblings sell that many hybrids? I think a hybrid mustang would probably sell even more than some of those other ones. A darn good looking car, hopefully with a fair deal of punch (i'm thinking V6 plus electric, that'd be some sweet low end grunt), and that whole appeal of great gas mileage and feeling good about yourself, it'd be huge with that cheesy hollywood crowd, that's for sure.

I dunno! There's still enough time for them to announce plans for such a car. Lord knows i'd buy one if i'm actually making money by then!

The hips will provide room for a beefy electric motor at each rear wheel! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 4/18/06, 04:51 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Disch1 @ April 14, 2006, 4:40 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hybrid>? OK heck YAH . Sounds strange I know but all the hybrids out there are SUVs or Just plane stupid looking. Why not have a Hybrid that looks cool or have a Key switch to change settings to performance on the weekend and econno durring the week.
[/b][/quote]

Because hybrids are loosers.

To cut to the chase, hybrids essentually fool the EPA test. In the real world the gas mileage Hybrids get is far below (20 - 25%) than what they get in the EPA test.

In addition hybrids cost so much more than conventional engines that even with the huge (and stupid) tax credits that the rest of us are paying for a hybrid cost you more than you would save on gas. Most financial analysis says that gas prices would have to top $10 / gal for hybrids to pay for themselves w/o government tax subsidies.

Hybrids are also incredibly costly to repair. Anyone who buys a used hybrid w/o an extended warranty will go into financial shock when it breaks.

Ford should get going with variable displacement. Low cost to implement and low cost to repair.
Old 4/19/06, 10:33 AM

When they first started with the smog control on cars it did not work well, was not reliable and expensize to repair. NOW 20 some years later we have thousands of cars producing less than EPA max for emmisions and the systems are very reliable.

All new technology must start somewhere, and I takes people with vision to embrace it and help it grow into a viable technology with reliablity and good proformance over time.

If your a quiter with no vision then don't by one but some of us feel we have a stock in the future and can help advance the next generation of automobile propusion if we support the new Ideas when they are young.

The only way Hybrid tech will become something great is if we support and give feed back.

I know more than one person with hybrids and they are VERY HAPPY with them. and have had ZERO Problems.
Old 4/20/06, 11:09 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I want:

-Styling based on the 69 fastback:

Has hips, long lines, great roof profile, and a very Mustang front end. Great stuff.

-A diet. The current car's hefty, with the "good stuff" even more so. I know, I know, cost, restructuring, etc. But spend a few quid and bring it down a couple hundred pounds, please?

-2standard street specs, each with an "upgrade":
3.5 V6 with available Pony package (cosmetics and GT suspension)
4.6L V8 GT with available Mach One package (bolt-on supercharger, suspension improvements, and cosmetics)

-2 SE models every 2 years, with staggered launches. One "Base" SE using the N/A GT as a base and adding suspension upgrades etc (great for Bullit, CS, GTH). One "Limit" using supercharged 5.4 or N/A Boss (Hurricane) engine.

-Gradual move to either a domestic version of Yamaha/Volvo's excellent 4.4L V8, or a new compact V8 based on the 3.5, for the GT. I still like the 4.6, but it's a harsh world and upgrades must come.

-Continued use of the Live Axle as standard equipment (cost, wieght savings fine by me), but with an IRS bolt-on available as with the previous generation (for those that jsut can't live without it).
Old 4/20/06, 12:29 PM

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] YAH BUDDY!!!!

that Ride is HOT! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

Got to love that Cobra Jet Shaker Hood.
Old 4/20/06, 04:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
One problem with DOD is if you are cruising down the road (especially if you have put louder mufflers on your car) and you drop from 8 cylinders down to 4 cylinders, you car would sound like a rice rocket, not a mustang...
Old 4/20/06, 05:36 PM
FR500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mobster @ April 20, 2006, 12:37 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
One problem with DOD is if you are cruising down the road (especially if you have put louder mufflers on your car) and you drop from 8 cylinders down to 4 cylinders, you car would sound like a rice rocket, not a mustang...
[/b][/quote]

Not sure it would really sound like that at cruising speeds, but if it does, that would suck. Interesting, see if anyone can confirm this by listening to C6 'Vettes, and DCX "HEMI"-powered vehicles (except SRT's) with modified exhausts while it is just rolling along the highway. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

A hybrid V8 like the upcoming Lexus LS flagship would seriously kick a__, not only in torque, but also your wallet. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crying.gif[/img] Hoping the automakers find a way to dramatically reduce the weight and costs of this technology sooner rather than later.
Old 4/20/06, 06:56 PM

A hybrid V8 like the upcoming Lexus LS flagship would seriously kick a__, not only in torque, but also your wallet. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crying.gif[/img] Hoping the automakers find a way to dramatically reduce the weight and costs of this technology sooner rather than later.
[/quote]

I agree totally. As I said before the only way any new Product or technology get cheeper is if more and more people buy it.
only a few years ago plasma TVs and LCD monitors where 3 to 4 times what they cost now. Better yet look at DVD players.

Any fuel solution is going to be pricey at first but time will balance hings out.
Old 4/22/06, 12:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thezeppelin8 @ January 24, 2006, 8:21 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I like all of the talk about the Hybrid and Displacement on Demand! Those would be awesome to see on the Mustang!

I would love to see a rear end like this!!! hubba hubba. wooooooooo [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Where did you find this picture
its awesome.
Old 4/22/06, 05:05 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Get rid of the retro instrument cluster. It's already run it's course, starting to look old an tired.

Dicsh1 - question, how many hybrids have you purchased so far?
Old 4/23/06, 08:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Juice @ February 11, 2006, 6:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Slightly more aggressive styling, especially in the rear quarters. A little more comfort, like heated seat and side mirrors, wheel mounted audio controls, and my wife sure would like lighted vanity mirrors. Don't limit the ICAP to just red.

Don't waste money on the IRS, just get rid of the 4wd ride height and refine the existing suspension. Maybe some active settings for the shocks.

More HP, like a 5.4 3 valve.

If you check out the Ford of Australia Performance Vehicle website, they list two 6 speeds, the T56 manual and the ZF 6 speed. This is the text on the six speed auto:

Auto fans can option up to a new ZF 6-speed high-torque automatic transmission with Sequential Sports Shift. This high-performance automatic gearbox offers the best of both worlds. Its Sequential Sports Shift system allows the driver to make fast, clean manual gear changes to maximize all the available power for acceleration or quick downshifts. When in full auto mode, the adaptive shift system changes characteristics to suit your individual driving style.

Add more colors, and please include dark highland green!
[/b][/quote]
Yes Please CALL IT BULLITT Green

[attachmentid=47686]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Disch1 @ April 14, 2006, 5:40 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] HHey Guys there are a lot of great ideas here!

IRS ? Idon't know. True it is great on a hard dry surface but you loose a lot of weight in the rear. I works for Corvette but they have a rear trans axle not just Irs.

Heated seat aree cool. so are hips. I agree with the more agresive lines comments. But one thing the car is screaming for is CHROME. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

It's on mini vans, SUVs Cross over vehicles you name BUT NOT ON THE MUSCLE CAR.

Even just a little bit of bumper accent and something around the windows would really pull it all together. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

Special addition? COBRA JET ALA 1968 PRE MACH 1.
It had the B**LS but was less flashy than a full blown MACH !.
AND I know its not true to Origan but Please offer a factory sun roof. Not all of us have the extra 5 to 8 k for a vert. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
and that would be my two cents.
One more thing !

AJUSTABLE PEDAL RACK!!!!!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I talked to my cousin who is a mechanic and I talked to him about the same thing...Hybrids. He said that hybrids would take away the performance of what the mustang was made to be. and IRS, recall that SVT decided to use a light axle instead of an IRS for one reason, a live axle can withstand more power than an IRS. If you think about it, thats why many 03-04 Cobra owners replace it with a live axle.

As far as the sun roof, you might as well want the return of the T-Roof [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img] JK. Good idea. It may make a Stang more fun to drive w/o any excessive wind noise. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/24/06, 07:28 AM
I Have Admin Envy

One thing to consider which could make some money/add interest:

Insurance companies in my area will cancel your policy if you've lowered the car with aftermarket springs, regardless of the quality of work. An idea is to offer a sport suspension with a lower ride height and all the corresponding bits and pieces. The benefit is people who want a lower profile can pay for it and it would be an extra profit base for the manufacterer.
Old 4/29/06, 10:36 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Galaxie @ April 24, 2006, 8:31 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
One thing to consider which could make some money/add interest:

Insurance companies in my area will cancel your policy if you've lowered the car with aftermarket springs, regardless of the quality of work. An idea is to offer a sport suspension with a lower ride height and all the corresponding bits and pieces. The benefit is people who want a lower profile can pay for it and it would be an extra profit base for the manufacterer.
[/b][/quote]

Why would they if its only a modification that will give you better handling supposively? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img]
Old 5/1/06, 10:09 AM
Bullitt Member

I would like to see these "options" avail:

-HID's
-power adj for passenger as well
-heated and cooled seats for both driver and passenger
-lightweight 18 or 19 wheel options
-nav system
Old 5/1/06, 10:53 AM
I Have Admin Envy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shelby GT500KR @ April 29, 2006, 12:39 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Why would they if its only a modification that will give you better handling supposively? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

The fast & furious crowd with all the cut springs, etc. pretty much ruined it for everyone.
Old 5/1/06, 11:23 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Interior:

-Redo the guage cluster a bit. I like the idea of the retro grouping and chrome, but right now it looks like a characature. Keep the concept but make it cleaner and more open.

-New center stack. The center stack is the weak point of the current interior, IMO. It's sterile and looks under designed, give it some lovin.

-Materials: less hard plastic, please. Every review of the 'Stang's interior starts with "the heard-plasitc surfaces blah blah blah". Take away the critic's ammo and take a cue from the imports.
Old 5/1/06, 04:08 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SyNRG @ May 1, 2006, 10:12 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I would like to see these "options" avail:

-HID's
-power adj for passenger as well
-heated and cooled seats for both driver and passenger
-lightweight 18 or 19 wheel options
-nav system
[/b][/quote]

Power passenger seat is an option for 2007.

NAV system is rumored, possibly as early as Job 2 on the 2007 MY.

I would also like to see HIDs and the cooled as well as heated seats. I have the heated & cooled seats on my Lincoln LS (Peltier device) and love them. They actually heat up faster than resistance wire heater seats that I've had and the cooled seats are wonderful in hot weather.

I would also like to see lightweight forged aluminm wheels. The cast wheels that Ford uses, 17 & 18" sizes are way too heavy.
Old 5/2/06, 07:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Arrow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Galaxie @ May 1, 2006, 11:56 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The fast & furious crowd with all the cut springs, etc. pretty much ruined it for everyone.
[/b][/quote]
It was only a movie. Whats wrong about that
Old 5/7/06, 04:11 PM
V6 Member

Audio inputs and controls on the steering wheel are a must.
Whoever suggested an electronic parking brake should be shot.
I'd like the My-Colour thing if it affected every backlit dial in the car.
Improvement in material quality would be nice.
More lateral support in the seats definitely.

Bulges over the rear wheels for sure...

3 "body styles" - a fastback, a rag-top, and a folding hard top.

And if IRS is seriously entertained, then they should do a rear transaxle - shift the transmission down to the back end and you'll relocate a lot of weight. I love the feel of the Solid axle stang, but if an IRS Transaxle offered better cornering ability then I'd be all over that.

HID lighting option is a must...
Old 5/10/06, 09:50 AM

And if IRS is seriously entertained, then they should do a rear transaxle - shift the transmission down to the back end and you'll relocate a lot of weight. I love the feel of the Solid axle stang, but if an IRS Transaxle offered better cornering ability then I'd be all over that.
While a transaxle design would certainly be a dream configuration in terms of handling and chassis dynamics, it is also rather more expesive yet than an IRS, especially in terms of modifying the S197 platform to accept a transaxle in the rear end. As just about every top handling car indicates (Ferrari 600, Aston Martin, Corvette), this arrangement is the acme for a front engined car in terms of weight balance and low polar moment of inertia, but it takes a specially engineered chassis to take the best advantage of this layout, i.e, room for the transaxle and IRS itself, setting the motor far back in the chassis, etc., something that ain't gonna happen by cash-strapped Ford with the Stang.

A good IRS -- better than the cobbled together, highly compomised '99-'04 Cobra version -- would probably realize 75% the improvement a transaxle design would and be a huge step forward from the truckish SRA buggy axle currently propping up the Stang's stern, at least in any environment more challenging to a rear suspension's capability than a smooth, straight drag strip (which means pretty much anywhere else).

Not sure what is meant by the "feel" of a live axle -- juddering and jitterbugging over bumpy turns, clomping cloddishly over speed bumps and potholes, shaking fillings loose down a lumpy back road, ???

Other goodies would be a bit of a diet. Gas ain't gettin' no cheaper and it would be nice to attack the power/weight ratio from the weight end of the equation. That would confer nice benefits in handling, braking and economy in addition to acceleration -- a win-win situation in my estimation.

HIDs would be a nice functional and safety improvement, nothing like being able to see where you're going.