2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What voids powertrain warranty

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/15, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What voids powertrain warranty

So I found out my car is still under warranty, (I'm the second owner so I did not know until I called), but I was wondering if anyone knows what could possibly void that powertrain warranty? I know the intake is something that could void it and was also wondering if anyone had a website to get a stock intake from. Thanks.

2011 5.0
22k miles
bbk intake
borla exhaust
short throw shifter
lowering springs

Last edited by jraymond394; 2/2/15 at 10:05 AM.
Old 2/2/15, 10:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
When you called did you tell them you had
bbk intake
borla exhaust
short throw shifter
on your car?
Old 2/2/15, 01:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
any mod that has potential to impact power will void the power train warranty. that is as simple as it gets... that was response i got from my dealership. but i have found that they will only bother if the mod has directly impacted the failure.. so this case depended.
Old 2/2/15, 01:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
BY LAW they an only deny coverage if the part contributed to the failure, regardless of what any dealer might tell you.
Old 2/2/15, 02:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Perhaps true, but if they claim your part did contribute to a failure who has the burden of proof. Is your part considered innocent until proven guilty?
Old 2/2/15, 03:15 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jraymond394
So I found out my car is still under warranty, (I'm the second owner so I did not know until I called), but I was wondering if anyone knows what could possibly void that powertrain warranty? I know the intake is something that could void it and was also wondering if anyone had a website to get a stock intake from. Thanks.

2011 5.0
22k miles
bbk intake
borla exhaust
short throw shifter
lowering springs
With a different intake you can bet it was tuned. Did the tuner come with the car? If you go back to a stock intake you'll have to get the stock tune.
Old 2/2/15, 03:33 PM
Cobra Member

I've seen fully tuned cars with mods get covered under warranty and on the other hand I've seen dealers try to deny coverage because you have window tint (figurative). Most dealerships are spawns of Satan.
Old 2/2/15, 06:52 PM

This knocking noise is just really making me nervous. Especially because it seems not a lot of people have dealt with it. I have the BAMA tuner but I'm not 100% sure if the old owner actually programmed a tune. He said he didn't so I haven't touched it. I guess I can always plug it in and return to stock.
Old 2/2/15, 06:54 PM

http://youtu.be/LeE5mSTJ-SY

Knocking noise
Old 2/2/15, 08:15 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This knocking noise is just really making me nervous. Especially because it seems not a lot of people have dealt with it. I have the BAMA tuner but I'm not 100% sure if the old owner actually programmed a tune. He said he didn't so I haven't touched it. I guess I can always plug it in and return to stock.
You have contact with the old owner? Private sale?

What did he say about the intake? Did he put that on without a tune? That sounds fishy.

You know that 11/12's had problems with #8... if he didn't tune it and changed intakes, that affects A/F for sure. If he did tune it, hopefully it wasn't one of the early tunes. BAMA did start a warranty after some early problems with the 11/12 5.0's.

Ford put out a specific TSB about how tuning will cancel warranty after #8 problems started working their way through the Dealers.

Sorry I don't have bandwidth to watch vids, but someone else will comment.

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/2/15 at 08:21 PM.
Old 2/3/15, 07:59 AM
V6 Member

I think there's a shorter list of things that wont void the warranty ... lol
Old 2/4/15, 12:35 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

2011 5.0
22k miles
bbk intake
borla exhaust
short throw shifter
lowering springs
What has your service manager said about this, jraymond394? Any updates?

Deysha
Old 2/4/15, 06:52 PM

Void is a heavy word. Denial is much more realistic and true.

Unless the car is a full race car, chances of the warranty being void are almost none. Why? The dealer has to prove that the part caused failure of the entire system. If you install an intake and it blows the engine, the warranty claim will be denied, not voided. If you pay for the dealer to replace the motor and they offer a warranty, it will be upheld. Or if old parts are used on the replacement motor, those are still under warranty.

Will a radio void your powertrain warranty? No.
Will an intake void your powertrain warranty? No. (It can cause warranty claim denial)

The dealer has say to an extent, it's the warranty writer that you place hopes on and then the manufacturer has ultimate say.

Simply rolling into a dealer with an exhaust will not "flag" your car. And of course reverting a car back to stock is warranty fraud.