Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What is this terrible sound coming from my rear axle?

Search this Thread

Old 9/21/15, 08:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is this terrible sound coming from my rear axle?

I noticed this sound on my trip for Alabama to Ohio last week, it is extremely loud. I have determined that applying the brakes/emergency brake makes no difference, nor does being in gear. I believe it is coming from one of the wheels and not the gears or transmission. I do not see any fluid leak from the axle.

When the recording starts I am in neutral at 70 MPH, gradually slowing to a stop. The same noise can be heard during acceleration or while driving at any speed. It gets louder as I go faster. What is causing this noise to come from the rear of my car?

Old 9/21/15, 08:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Outer axle bearings are likely shot, and shot to hell.

Problem is if it's that bad... it's an unfortunately good chance that they also have screwed up the housing too. But maybe not.

They do make an oversize bearing to put in the housing, but it requires machining, if the bearings have spun in the housing and ate it up. But if it's too much of a hole to dig out... new axle housing is gonna have to be acquired.

You need to take that somewhere and have that looked at pretty pronto. Hopefully the old bearings will come out, the housing's fine, and you can just get a normal axle bearing replacement.

But yeesh... that sounds horrid.

Hope that helps, and good luck.
Old 9/22/15, 06:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

How the heck does this happen at 41,000 miles? This is all covered under powertrain so Ford is going to eat it, but this is ridiculous. I'm tired of replacing parts when they shouldn't need to be.

Ford just had to replace my water pump
Old 9/22/15, 06:42 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rando
How the heck does this happen at 41,000 miles? This is all covered under powertrain so Ford is going to eat it, but this is ridiculous. I'm tired of replacing parts when they shouldn't need to be.

Ford just had to replace my water pump
\

I bet you that your overflow line from didn't have a check valve in it. I had learned that this was an issue with the V6 mustangs and happens often enough. I just bought the updated hose with the check valve so that my pump doesn't go. knowing my luck, it would have died on me just outside of my warranty.
Old 9/22/15, 08:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Why, you ask why? Why does the phone always ring when you're in the bathtub? Why is the greatest criminal mind of our time... surrounding himself with total nincompoops?

Um... sorry. Superman '78 is a fav of mine for Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor. So good...

---

Anyway, why? It's made by humans, Rondo. And as such, nothing humans make is infallible.

We can't even send people to the moon without having an oxygen tank blow up... you expect cars to be perfect?

Anyway, it's just unfortunate 'luck', and it happens. Mine went out on the right side axle bearing at about 70,000, which I thought was pretty early, but there ya go. Replaced them all, new Royal Purple in the punkin' (and the gears looked *fantastic*, brand new outta the box, old fluid was smelly, of course, but otherwise clean) and so far... *knocks wood*.

Also consider that these are pretty complex machines, and there's a plethora of suppliers/manufacturers of the parts, and every single one of those are using the formula of percentages. Meaning "we'll make 1000 of them, and if 3 of them go out, successful run!" Or something like that.

Then the design flaws... oh yes. Fuel filler issues anyone?

You could have these things or worse happen in a Mercedes or Bentley or such too. Heck, I saw a Bentley Continental GT get *towed away* because it was broken. Brand dang new '15. Red (which doesn't look right to me on that car, but whatever.) How much did they pay for that dang thing?

Could be worse. Inconvenient, but not devastating. It'll be ok!

Last edited by houtex; 9/22/15 at 09:03 AM.
Old 9/22/15, 10:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by houtex
Why, you ask why? Why does the phone always ring when you're in the bathtub? Why is the greatest criminal mind of our time... surrounding himself with total nincompoops?

Um... sorry. Superman '78 is a fav of mine for Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor. So good...

---

Anyway, why? It's made by humans, Rondo. And as such, nothing humans make is infallible.

We can't even send people to the moon without having an oxygen tank blow up... you expect cars to be perfect?

Anyway, it's just unfortunate 'luck', and it happens. Mine went out on the right side axle bearing at about 70,000, which I thought was pretty early, but there ya go. Replaced them all, new Royal Purple in the punkin' (and the gears looked *fantastic*, brand new outta the box, old fluid was smelly, of course, but otherwise clean) and so far... *knocks wood*.

Also consider that these are pretty complex machines, and there's a plethora of suppliers/manufacturers of the parts, and every single one of those are using the formula of percentages. Meaning "we'll make 1000 of them, and if 3 of them go out, successful run!" Or something like that.

Then the design flaws... oh yes. Fuel filler issues anyone?

You could have these things or worse happen in a Mercedes or Bentley or such too. Heck, I saw a Bentley Continental GT get *towed away* because it was broken. Brand dang new '15. Red (which doesn't look right to me on that car, but whatever.) How much did they pay for that dang thing?

Could be worse. Inconvenient, but not devastating. It'll be ok!
My biggest complaint is the quality of the parts. Everything I've removed/replaced on this car has been complete chinese garbage. My shift linkage was basically coat hangers, shift bracket was basically a piece of flimsy metal with a piece of rubber compared to the machined bushing I replaced it with. The speakers I removed weren't even speakers, they were plastic! I paid for a premium interior but the leather isn't leather and I'm still surrounded by hard plastic... Everything is super cheap compared to the good ol days. I truly envy the American quality my parents were able to experience.

Last edited by Rando; 9/22/15 at 10:53 AM.
Old 9/22/15, 10:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
\

I bet you that your overflow line from didn't have a check valve in it. I had learned that this was an issue with the V6 mustangs and happens often enough. I just bought the updated hose with the check valve so that my pump doesn't go. knowing my luck, it would have died on me just outside of my warranty.
I'm not sure what happened, all I know is I came out to a giant puddle of fluid. Do you have the part # or a link? I'm more than willing to upgrade the piece to avoid an issue in the future. I've already been doing that with various other parts... suspension is next I suppose.

Last edited by Rando; 9/22/15 at 10:56 AM.
Old 9/23/15, 08:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

I jacked my car up last night and recorded my wheels moving. When I tried to jiggle the wheels there is a very slight movement, definitely shouldn't happen.

The video below speaks for itself, both wheels look like this. Please tell me it's wheel bearings. I really don't have the patience to fight Ford on their ****ty quality. I baby this car, I have not wrecked it or abused it. I'm about to cut my losses with this vehicle and never buy another Ford again.

Old 9/23/15, 11:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Rotors seem fine to me, if they are warped I cannot tell. It's definitely not wobbling like the tires. So with that, it looks like my problem is either bad tires or bad rims... I can still hear grinding so my wheel bearings are probably shot because of the bad wheels like you mentioned.
I purchased these wheels from American Muscle's ebay account on 1/13/2015, I hope they work with me to resolve this. Will Ford fight me on the warranty work since these are after market rims?

Here's a video of the rotor, I'll try and get a better one.
Old 9/23/15, 02:59 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I jacked my car up last night and recorded my wheels moving. When I tried to jiggle the wheels there is a very slight movement, definitely shouldn't happen.

The video below speaks for itself, both wheels look like this. Please tell me it's wheel bearings. I really don't have the patience to fight Ford on their ****ty quality. I baby this car, I have not wrecked it or abused it. I'm about to cut my losses with this vehicle and never buy another Ford again.
Hi Rando,

I reached out to you on your post on mustangforums.com. Please keep me in the loop with how your dealer trip goes.

Meagan
Old 9/23/15, 03:05 PM
Cobra Member

I'm not sure what happened, all I know is I came out to a giant puddle of fluid. Do you have the part # or a link? I'm more than willing to upgrade the piece to avoid an issue in the future. I've already been doing that with various other parts... suspension is next I suppose.

Here's the thread started by David.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ads-up-537306/

here has illustrations of your original hose and the upgraded one with the check valve. I hear fords been replacing them as they are repaired. so, you may already have the updated hose. if not... it will be the best $30 you spend on that car.
Old 9/23/15, 03:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Took my car to midas, 3 different techs said wheel bearings are good and solid, and the wobble isn't that bad apparently. He wasn't sure why the back tires have about a .5" wobble and said it could be the tire bands. His best guess after driving it is that there's a brake problem. But I'm not sure I agree because when I apply the brakes the sound stays exactly the same.

I guess I'll just wait for Ford on Tuesday. I'm losing sleep over it
Old 9/23/15, 03:26 PM
Cobra Member

try not to. Easier said than done, I know

I think the more you run around over this, the more you'll drive yourself crazy. Leave it with Ford, they'll fix you up and know exactly what's going on.
Old 9/25/15, 03:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could you swap wheel in the rear and see if the noise moves to the other side. This might help eliminate rim/tires from the problem.
Old 9/26/15, 11:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How did u record this sounds exactly what I have
Old 9/30/15, 12:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by HizliBullet
How did u record this sounds exactly what I have
Fold the back seats down and download a sound recording app on your phone.

Everything has gone smoothly with the repairs, they have not fought me on anything. I get the car back Thursday but from what I understand my pinion bearing went bad which also caused another bearing in the rear differential to go bad. They also found metal shavings in the case. They said they rebuilt the backend (I don't know the details yet) and the noise is gone. I just hope nothing happens with the differential because of this since I only have ~20,000 miles remaining on my power train warranty. As far as I know they did not replace any of the gears and I'm not sure if this issue could have damaged or degraded them.