2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

What happened to the 6 disc cd player?!

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/10, 10:46 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Lancel
I would hope not many but FLAC would be a much better alternative. WAV doesn't do jack to compress, FLAC is lossless but still does compression. Trick is you'll be hard pressed to find a music player that supports FLAC, and FLAC is still a good chunk larger than a VBR-320 MP3.

If my Mustang or my phone ever supported FLAC, I'd upgrade my music quality, but until that day I'll have to stick to VBR-320 MP3s and the knowledge that I have the full lossless originals on safely kept CDs.
Hard drives are cheap now...FLAC would definately be the way to go.
Hrm... someone put that suggestion on Fords idea's page... ask for FLAC support in the software.
Old 4/29/10, 10:47 AM
eci
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
This is likely due to the rip quality. 192kbps is CD quality, typically if the bitrate is lower than 160kbps you may notice a difference. You can rip up to 320kbps with most software, though...
192Kbps is not CD quality. Ripping a CD with no compression is CD quality.
Old 4/29/10, 10:48 AM
eci
Banned

Anyone here ever listen to SACD? Blows CD out of the water. Sadly didn't catch on since people are deaf.
Old 4/29/10, 11:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Most people just don't know good audio quality. I really can't say I did until I got good headphones, then I noticed that songs sounded considerably different, but much more clear and significantly less distorted (certain notes I found were significantly amplified in my car stereo, for no apparent reason). This difference is either ignored by people or in some cases I have noticed it is even mistaken for poor quality because it isn't heavily amplifying the bass. Sigh.

To make matters worse, people are used to hearing their favorite songs on sound systems little improved over the standard car audio, and that's generally what they're used to hearing. What you have to do is tell people to listen to certain instruments and follow it through the song (percussion is usually the most pronounced), then switch over to a normal sound system and tell them to do the same.

What sold me on high quality sound though was when I very clearly heard a sudden track cut in the background vocals of a song. The vocals just flat cut, as if someone clicked the stop button and then play on a completely different background vocals track. On normal audio this was completely drowned out by the other instruments such that you really wouldn't notice unless you knew exactly what you were looking for, but on those headphones it was blatant.

Never heard of SACD myself, but I might check it out.

Last edited by Lancel; 4/29/10 at 11:44 AM.
Old 4/29/10, 11:45 AM
I Have No Life

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD#Overview
Intersting..DVD-9 sized discs, 5.6mpbs compared to CDs 1400kbps

Was a competitor to DVD audio, both lost out...

Another thing considered is WHAT people are listening to.
If you are listening to something that is ultra complex and full of sound, compared to say your standard punk rock fair...you're only going to achieve so much.
You begin to appreciate the difference in sound if you listen to a symphony (pun intended) compared to trash.

Last edited by Boomer; 4/29/10 at 11:48 AM.
Old 4/29/10, 11:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

That's true. Considering that a lot of songs these days are to some extent fabricated on a computer, using their own sounds and even stock sounds that may not be any higher than CD quality to begin with (or even that), sometimes you just won't see the difference. Symphony orchestras on the other hand...
Old 4/29/10, 12:35 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Lancel
That's true. Considering that a lot of songs these days are to some extent fabricated on a computer, using their own sounds and even stock sounds that may not be any higher than CD quality to begin with (or even that), sometimes you just won't see the difference. Symphony orchestras on the other hand...
Exactly why a lot of people will never see the difference.
You can put lipstick on a pig ... but...
Old 4/29/10, 06:41 PM
Bullitt Member

You sound like me. I still have some limited edition direct to disk albums and regular vinyl too. I have a SOTA turntable with cartridge that cost over $1500 in the 1980's. I play a record on the turntable and capture the audio off the system using my digital camcorder. I then firewire the music into my computer and make a MP3 or WAV.

Regarding the other comment about by software, yes, I need better software. I have used iTunes and Media Monkey in the past but they got lost when I built my new system with Windows Vista 64. I need to relook at them I guess.

Joe

Originally Posted by WarpdSpazm
Ha... I actually rip all my Vinyl directly! Run my real turntables (not that cheap ION USB), Technics 1200s. Bring them in as CD audio... get that warmth of the vinyl.. .Crackles and all...

Yes, even there you loose alittle something, but the speakers in the cars don't recreate the full frequency range anyway... I did car audio install for years and while able to put together amazing sounds in a car, it was only "amazing for being in a car" was still a step behind a proper home system... Not a big deal since after years of being a DJ and audio installer, I think my ears are missing a few frequencies now too! Pity I'm only 30... and I will never get rid of vinyl, But for outside the home, CD is long done and digital media is the way to go.. carry 1,000+ "good sounding tunes" in your pocket can't be beat.