2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

What 6 speed shifter are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/14, 06:36 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John H
I have a question regarding the MGW shifter:

I had one put in our '08 GT/CS and while as a shift I loved it, I absolutely couldn't stand all the noise and clatter (is that even a word) that I could hear in the car once it was installed. I went as far as to stuff piece of foam couch cushion under the shift boot just to try to absorb some of the noise. Are the latest MGWs any better at suppressing the noise and stuff, or is the nature of the beast and I'd just have to deal with it?
Proper installation should show little to no increase in in-cabin noise. MGW includes several components in their kit strictly to reduce noise and vibration.
Old 4/29/14, 12:14 AM
V6 Member

I installed the MGW the first week I had my car. I felt the stock shifter was to "rubbery". Love the MGW. A bit pricey, but worth it.
Old 4/29/14, 08:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just do an image search of the stock shifter and bracket. See what they look like after being removed. "Anyone have any extra zip ties for my Mustang GT shifter? Perhaps a paper clip or two?"
Old 4/29/14, 08:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I installed the Ford Racing shifter & bracket, then I removed the bracket and reinstalled the factory bracket (after making it a bit firmer).

The shifter is great (very short throws), but the two post bracket was just WAY too loud for me. With the shifter and a firmer stock bracket, I'm very happy (although the shifting is still way to notchy... going to try some different oil).
Old 4/29/14, 01:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use the stock shifter. I'll be ordering an MGW next month though. I pay with pay pal and MGW doesn't take that form of payment, but stangmods sells the shifter and uses PayPal., $40 more though.
Old 4/29/14, 08:41 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I'm still using the stock shifter with the Barton Bracket. Not sure how much the bracket helps yet, but I have 2 track days planned before summer is over, and last year that's when I discovered the weaknesses of the stock setup. Missing the 4-3 downshift a few times Not good for my line or lap times...

I really don't have major gripes about the stock shifter itself, other than very inconsistent shift feel. Within my 20 minute drive to work it will go from butter-smooth 2-3-4 to random noisy/notchy 2-3 or 3-4 shifts. It certainly is worse before the car warms up. And I'm certain I didn't change the way I shift. It helps to have the clutch all the way to the floor, and glide instead of muscle the thing, but still.
Old 4/30/14, 06:05 AM
Cobra Member

I have a question regarding the MGW shifter:

I had one put in our '08 GT/CS and while as a shift I loved it, I absolutely couldn't stand all the noise and clatter (is that even a word) that I could hear in the car once it was installed. I went as far as to stuff piece of foam couch cushion under the shift boot just to try to absorb some of the noise. Are the latest MGWs any better at suppressing the noise and stuff, or is the nature of the beast and I'd just have to deal with it?
'had one put in' ?

Sounds like the installer did not properly install the new dust boot. Almost everyone who reported this problem cured it by making sure the new boot is properly secured around the shifter base assembly *AND* the body opening. You should only have a slight rise in NVH when the MGW is installed correctly.

Last edited by ace72ace; 4/30/14 at 06:06 AM.
Old 4/30/14, 06:08 AM
Cobra Member

Interesting. Now I'm not sure whether to consider getting one again since my initial experience might have been a fluke. Hmmm...
Old 4/30/14, 07:11 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace

You should be able to put a Hurst T handle on top of the MGW shifter if that's the look you want... But the classic black Boss 302 style **** just feels perfect.
Agreed on the Boss ****! And that is why I'm not going with MGW as they told me the Boss **** I already am using will not work well with their redesigned (in 2014) shifter. Something about shortening the shifter itself to make the **** sit lower due to customer's requests.
Old 4/30/14, 08:49 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by stevegt2012
Agreed on the Boss ****! And that is why I'm not going with MGW as they told me the Boss **** I already am using will not work well with their redesigned (in 2014) shifter. Something about shortening the shifter itself to make the **** sit lower due to customer's requests.

Lower? Not much room for that, too far and it will be in the trans tunnel.
Old 4/30/14, 09:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
I have a question regarding the MGW shifter: I had one put in our '08 GT/CS and while as a shift I loved it, I absolutely couldn't stand all the noise and clatter (is that even a word) that I could hear in the car once it was installed. I went as far as to stuff piece of foam couch cushion under the shift boot just to try to absorb some of the noise. Are the latest MGWs any better at suppressing the noise and stuff, or is the nature of the beast and I'd just have to deal with it?
I do not notice any noise of any type. I don't have any experience with previous versions.
Old 4/30/14, 10:25 AM
Cobra Member

You guys are restoring my confidence in MGW. I don't know how to install shifters, so this time I'll be sure to find someone more experienced with doing them then the first person I used.
Old 4/30/14, 10:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys are restoring my confidence in MGW. I don't know how to install shifters, so this time I'll be sure to find someone more experienced with doing them then the first person I used.
I'm a krappy mechanic and installed it with little issue using the wrong video, lol, so it's not hard. I drove it around for two days before buttoning everything back up (so I could adjust it) and it was really loud even with the rubber boot seated, but without the sound deadening material. With the material in, though, it sounds stock to me, which I found amazing. Could it be that the tech replaced the OEM material instead of adding to the OEM material (like you're supposed to do)?
Old 4/30/14, 05:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
You should give it a go. I'm no mechanic, and would not consider myself a weekend mechanic either. I installed mine after watching the youtube videos MGW put together on installing. I'm a Computer nerd mostly, but I do enjoy taking stuff apart and putting it back together. It wasnt terribly difficult to do.
Old 4/30/14, 06:18 PM
Cobra Member

It's one of the most satisfying mods you can do yourself with basic tools. You don't even need a strap wrench if you just have the OEM 'thumb' ****. But I would recommend a deep swivel head socket for getting at the bolts from under the car to clear the driveshaft. I was installing my DSS shaft the same day so my install was a snap. MGW also has some nice shift ***** too, so there are lots of choices out there. Get a friend to help and you'll have it done in less than 3 hours.

http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2653.0