Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

well thats not good lol

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/12, 11:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newpony
I'm not a ASE certified mechanic and never seen a gas tank opened up but I do have a 12 years old Honda Accord with 162k miles that still running good. I always fill it with gas when the low fuel light comes on and the needle is on E (hate stopping for gas). Never had a problem with the fuel pump, none. If the Mustang can't handle this then Ford did something wrong.
My thoughts exactly. I'd rather be driving the car than constantly stopping to put gas in to keep it over 1/2 full. I almost never filled my '05 GT unless I was into the 50 mile warning. I've done that with every other vehicle I've owned too. Never once had a fuel system problem.

Edit: Almost forgot. Thank you to the OP for posting this. I've seen 0 miles to E more than once but I always knew it wasn't really 0. Now we know.

Last edited by Keystone; 5/8/12 at 11:23 AM.
Old 5/8/12, 12:50 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not a ASE certified mechanic and never seen a gas tank opened up but I do have a 12 years old Honda Accord with 162k miles that still running good. I always fill it with gas when the low fuel light comes on and the needle is on E (hate stopping for gas). Never had a problem with the fuel pump, none. If the Mustang can't handle this then Ford did something wrong.
because a 12 year old car that may or may not have a in tank pump its not a bad idea? wow.. just wow.. also keep in mind the mustang pump is bigger and has more flow. That mean more heat.

I am sure most people do not change oil at the right time/miles either... doesnt make it ok or a good idea.
Old 5/8/12, 12:52 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by Keystone
My thoughts exactly. I'd rather be driving the car than constantly stopping to put gas in to keep it over 1/2 full. I almost never filled my '05 GT unless I was into the 50 mile warning. I've done that with every other vehicle I've owned too. Never once had a fuel system problem.

Edit: Almost forgot. Thank you to the OP for posting this. I've seen 0 miles to E more than once but I always knew it wasn't really 0. Now we know.
no one said keep it at 1/2.. they said do not run the car on E or past the 50 mile warning if it can be helped.
Old 5/8/12, 01:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flagstang
no one said keep it at 1/2.. they said do not run the car on E or past the 50 mile warning if it can be helped.
Well I'm planning on running mine that way so without asking I'll be playing Mythbuster on this one.
Old 5/8/12, 01:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well I'm planning on running mine that way so without asking I'll be playing Mythbuster on this one.
Will you blow your car up when the myth is proven or debunked please?
Old 5/8/12, 01:21 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

have fun... not my repair bill or time waiting at the dealer.
Old 5/8/12, 01:21 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by Pete07GT
think he should trade it in for a nice honda. hear they do well with people that like to do stupid thigns to cars.
Old 5/8/12, 01:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

LOL. Now why didn't I think of that.
Old 5/8/12, 01:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

have fun... not my repair bill or time waiting at the dealer.
Well almost 17k miles on my car and so far so good.

If you think I'm bad I have two friends that are even worst. They run their cars a little longer with the fuel light turns on. Both have over 80k miles on their vehicles and so far no issues yet. Granted both are not performance vehicles and both are Toyotas. The only know issue I've seen is with one friend's Dodge Magnum. If you run below 1/4 tank you run the risk of the car unexpectedly shutting off. He said is a known issues with the Magnum although I couldn't find many discussions about this in forums.
Old 5/8/12, 01:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you think I'm bad I have two friends that are even worst. They run their cars a little longer with the fuel light turns on. Both have over 80k miles on their vehicles and so far no issues yet. Granted both are not performance vehicles and both are Toyotas. The only know issue I've seen is with one friend's Dodge Magnum. If you run below 1/4 tank you run the risk of the car unexpectedly shutting off. He said is a known issues with the Magnum although I couldn't find many discussions about this in forums.
Dodge Magnum = mullet car. It's literally business in the front and a party in the back.
Old 5/8/12, 01:43 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

you seem like a nice guy who washs his car and gets the oil changed and puts in good gas and buys a go fast part every now and then.. so why do something bad that can be helped by not being lazy? Like has been stated by me and a dealer tech and Al... its bad due to heat..

you are either doing something for for the car ro something bad.. which one do you pick??
Old 5/8/12, 01:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would figure that when the 50 miles to empty comes on, that is somewhat before the point when the remaining fuel might start to have issues keeping the pump cool enough. Most will fill up very soon after the low fuel indication shows up or sooner. Plus, there just might be a system to shut the pump down before it actually burns up as that would be a bad thing to have happen in a near empty tank.
Old 5/8/12, 01:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

think he should trade it in for a nice honda. hear they do well with people that like to do stupid thigns to cars.
Why so serious? I thought we were all having a civil conversation. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only Mustang owner doing this and in reality there are not conclusive evidences either way as far as I know.
Old 5/8/12, 01:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

you seem like a nice guy who washs his car and gets the oil changed and puts in good gas and buys a go fast part every now and then.. so why do something bad that can be helped by not being lazy? Like has been stated by me and a dealer tech and Al... its bad due to heat..

you are either doing something for for the car ro something bad.. which one do you pick??
You are right I treat my cars very well, especially my Mustang. But I hate stopping for gas - is one of my things I guess - and since the Mustang has a small tank, couple with my long commute I'll rather fill it up once a week than twice a week.
Old 5/8/12, 02:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Haha I must be an ***hole to my car too lol. I run till I'm about 25 to E then fill up all the way. Can't think of a time I haven't filled up all the way.

Bring on the flames haha
Old 5/8/12, 02:20 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Why so serious? I thought we were all having a civil conversation. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only Mustang owner doing this and in reality there are not conclusive evidences either way as far as I know.
when I say the honda thing to people im just joking
Old 5/8/12, 02:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry to jump in here but I keep seeing 50 mile light. Mine shows up at 75?
Old 5/8/12, 02:24 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by Blackbird.
Sorry to jump in here but I keep seeing 50 mile light. Mine shows up at 75?
maybe its a setting ro something
Old 5/8/12, 03:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
maybe its a setting ro something

Give it up !!!!! Stop trying to save them just let them burn.
Old 5/8/12, 03:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dodge Magnum = mullet car. It's literally business in the front and a party in the back.
I'm finding Pete to be the most quotable on this site.

Quick Reply: well thats not good lol