well thats not good lol

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/12, 01:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha such a nice scientific experiment.
Old 5/6/12, 01:44 PM

Apparently I'm repeating often mistaken or misunderstood knowledge. I'm certainly no mechanic and there's a lot of misinformation out there. I was just questioning it because it didn't sound like a very good idea, based on things I've read or heard. It seems that I was possibly correct, but for a different reason, given your responses.

Surely I can't be the only one who's been told this, or read about it somewhere. Again, it's apparently misinformation.

If the pump is on the bottom of the tank, wouldn't you need to clean your fuel filter pretty regularly. I'm not suggesting that gasoline is filled sludge, but it does have some particulates floating around in it, does it not?
Old 5/6/12, 02:18 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeDogInKC
Apparently I'm repeating often mistaken or misunderstood knowledge. I'm certainly no mechanic and there's a lot of misinformation out there. I was just questioning it because it didn't sound like a very good idea, based on things I've read or heard. It seems that I was possibly correct, but for a different reason, given your responses.

Surely I can't be the only one who's been told this, or read about it somewhere. Again, it's apparently misinformation.

If the pump is on the bottom of the tank, wouldn't you need to clean your fuel filter pretty regularly. I'm not suggesting that gasoline is filled sludge, but it does have some particulates floating around in it, does it not?
Not as much as you think man. Gas is pretty clean. Unless you go to some hole in the wall shop with the cheapest gas in town
Old 5/6/12, 02:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by texastboneking

Not as much as you think man. Gas is pretty clean. Unless you go to some hole in the wall shop with the cheapest gas in town
Arco, am/pm?
Old 5/6/12, 03:22 PM

It's pretty safe to assume that most if not all particulates are caught in the fuel filter. Isn't that the point of the filter? I wouldn't run out on a regular basis but once to get a baseline mileage sure. Just say "it was for science!"
Old 5/6/12, 04:32 PM
Bullitt Member

maybe you will have some junk at the bottom of a tank in an older car or if you buy gas at some junky places like some said, and yes its not good to do these tests every month lol ... but if you do it one time in the cars life time its not gonna do anything to the pump. After all if you are in the middle of nowhere and the light comes on, its good to know how much you can go after the light comes on.

as for the pump working harder, i don't think thats true, the fuel might help keeping the pump little cooler but has there been any proof that the pump actually runs really hot during operation?

well anyways, i was going 70mph in the slow lane expecting it to die soon, and as soon as i noticed the rpms drop a little i put it in neutral and puled over.

if you gonna do this, have some gas in the trunk lol .

there is also another thing i learned. I have one of those small gallon fuel cans and ford has cap less fuel door. Unless your can hose is long enough to press the flap open, you would not be able to fill the tank.

I had to remove the antenna and use that to hold the filler flap open while filling with the gas can. check to see if your can will open the flap.
Old 5/6/12, 08:19 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by BOSS302R

there is also another thing i learned. I have one of those small gallon fuel cans and ford has cap less fuel door. Unless your can hose is long enough to press the flap open, you would not be able to fill the tank.

I had to remove the antenna and use that to hold the filler flap open while filling with the gas can. check to see if your can will open the flap.
In the trunk there is a special funnel so you can fill the tank from a standard gas can. It is in the Styrofoam block that also holds the tire slime and air pump (vehicles without an actual spare tire).
Old 5/7/12, 02:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stevegt2012
In the trunk there is a special funnel so you can fill the tank from a standard gas can. It is in the Styrofoam block that also holds the tire slime and air pump (vehicles without an actual spare tire).
well this is good to know thank you
Old 5/7/12, 05:30 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BOSS302R
well this is good to know thank you
I'm assuming your sales person did not give you the million dollar tour and lecture of the do's and don'ts of your Mustang (unless you bought it used from a non Ford dealership). My sales person must have talked for over 30 minutes on the features of the car; even programmed my cell phone into sync, then had me test it while he was present. And showed me the funnel.

I'm still not sure how the gas fume vapor system works on these; most other vehicles would set a code if the gas cap was not screwed on. Thought I read that the tank vapors would not get sucked into the charcoal canister, then eventually into the engine intake with a loose/missing gas cap. These engines must have a completely different setup for capturing the tank fumes.

Texasboneking???

Last edited by Bucko; 5/7/12 at 05:34 AM.
Old 5/7/12, 08:34 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucko

Texasboneking???
You're learning.
Old 5/7/12, 09:13 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by Bucko
I'm assuming your sales person did not give you the million dollar tour and lecture of the do's and don'ts of your Mustang (unless you bought it used from a non Ford dealership). My sales person must have talked for over 30 minutes on the features of the car; even programmed my cell phone into sync, then had me test it while he was present. And showed me the funnel.

I'm still not sure how the gas fume vapor system works on these; most other vehicles would set a code if the gas cap was not screwed on. Thought I read that the tank vapors would not get sucked into the charcoal canister, then eventually into the engine intake with a loose/missing gas cap. These engines must have a completely different setup for capturing the tank fumes.

Texasboneking???
That little flap you have to push to put gas in the car is a seal. It acts as a cap. When that seal goes bad you have to replace the fuel filler neck assymbly.. already done two of them...
Old 5/7/12, 03:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
What an excellent thing to do to a car.
Old 5/7/12, 03:37 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by xtc.inc
What an excellent thing to do to a car.
Kinda like...
Burning tires
Redlining the car
Going wot
Drifting

We don't do any of that do we
Old 5/7/12, 04:23 PM
V6 Member

The fuel pumps at the gas station have a filter before the nozzle as well. At least they used to.
Old 5/7/12, 10:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by texastboneking
Kinda like...
Burning tires
Redlining the car
Going wot
Drifting

We don't do any of that do we
The only thing i do is go WOT.

Still much better then all the grime and gunk accumulated at the bottom of your gas tank going into filters and pump.
Old 5/7/12, 10:39 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Still much better then all the grime and gunk accumulated at the bottom of your gas tank going into filters and pump.
You mean where the pump gets its fuel no matter if its full or not?

Last edited by texastboneking; 5/7/12 at 10:40 PM.
Old 5/7/12, 11:11 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
If there is sludge at the bottom of your tank, you're buying gas at a really crappy gas station. I can tell you that fuel sold down south is not as clean as what's shipped up north. If you continually run your tank low, you may damage your pump because a level in the tank helps cool the pump. FWIW, I have never seen sludge in the bottom of a tank except for a maybe a tank that's been in a junkyard a few years.
Old 5/8/12, 01:00 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

:facepalm:
Old 5/8/12, 01:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Texastboneking do you own an 11'-13' 5.0?
Old 5/8/12, 01:54 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Mafia
Texastboneking do you own an 11'-13' 5.0?
hes a tech at a ford dealer.. hes tryng to help.

Quick Reply: well thats not good lol