Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Well finally got to test drive the GT today

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/10, 03:19 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well finally got to test drive the GT today

Dealer had a CS auto for me to drive.I took it out on my own,no salesperson.Exhaust from outside very quiet.interior was very nice. steering wheel had nice grip.seats not bad. They should have made the gear shifter handle on the auto smaller in my opinion. I got the chance to get on the highway w/ the stang.As soon as i was about to enter the highway from the exit i floored it.The hood jumped and this baby took off and hit 100mph in no time.I thought the suspension of the car wasnt fit for this kind of power.The car didnt have that solid feel which was kind of disappointing to me.The brakes felt pretty good.I also thought the gas pedal was little,wishing it was a little harder to push down for a better feel.Anyway,as i was about to return the car to the dealer 1 traffic light away i noticed a bmw 335 pull up beside me but unforunately another car was in front of me . The traffic light turned green and the car in front of me went but i kind of pulled away slow not knowing if the bimmer wanted to go at it.Well he did, i heard his motor and then i gunned it and took it up to 80 with of course the lead. I had to slow down because the dealer was right down the street. I pulled into the dealership knowing i kind of beat up the car not intentially and saw 3 salesman standing outside. The one guy said "how u like it?" i said not bad just got into a run down the road w/ a 335.About 30 seconds later the one salesguy says "whats that smell" smells like oil. Asked me to pop the hood.I thought to myself the brakes. He asked me how long i had it. I told him 10 minutes..10 minutes he said? ya i said, its not mine , i took it out for a test drive and he then said its must be the motor breaking in....Overall good car but needs upgrade in suspension..

Last edited by elvism; 10/9/10 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10/9/10, 03:49 PM
GTR Member

I thought the suspension of the car wasnt fit for this kind of power.The car didnt have that solid feel which was kind of disappointing to me.
Hmm...

Your impression of it doesn't seem to be what others have felt.

Not even what I experienced in the base V6 car. I thought it felt very solid and tied down.
Old 10/9/10, 04:45 PM
GTR Member

My head hurts after reading that.

If you don't like the CS, go drive a Brembo-equipped GT if you can drive a manual.
Old 10/9/10, 04:57 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the 6spM version of the CS, and I have never noticed any float or softness in the suspension. My first thought was the tire pressure. I found mine had 10 pounds more then the door sticker advises. I understand the factory may over inflate for shipping purposes. My wife's VW had 44lbs all around when we picked it up instead of the 33 recommended. I run 35 in my CS, and since I live 14 miles from town, I hit the interstate at 75 coming off the ramp, with no problems.
Old 10/9/10, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He would have been begging them to trade in his mach 1 for it trust me . No matter what, it is the better mustang than what he has and it's hard to go backwards after test driving something that glorious . He drove his mach 1 home and told us he really doesn't the 2011
Old 10/9/10, 06:03 PM
Bullitt Member

I finally got to test drive the 2011 GT today too and I was nothing but impressed. I have no idea where the suspension complaint is coming from because mine was very solid where I had no problem with hugging those curves like skinny jeans on a supermodel.

The handling, the sound (when you got on it), the whole thing... just pure awesome. The ride was such a blast I'm not sure my jaw ever came up off the floor. I have never had a test drive have such an effect on me like that. If it wasn't for the fact that I am completely broke, I would've drove home with it (or at least ordered one).

If I had to pick out a flaw it would be the reverse camera in the mirror. It was the only thing that didn't knock me over as the resolution of it was horrid and the image was so small it'd be almost useless for me in a practical setting.

My new mission in life is to figure out a way to afford that car!! So..... anyone know how much kidneys are going for now a days?

Last edited by Rjaniz; 10/9/10 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10/9/10, 07:41 PM
Bullitt Member

He is right. The GT without the brembo package is floaty. No way around that.
Old 10/9/10, 08:20 PM
Cobra Member

Don't get me wrong,i like the car but i just thought the steering feel would have been better.Maybe because im driving an all-wheel drive x5 and have driven a few times a bmw 335 in the past im comparing the two vehicles(stang-335). If you have ever driven a bmw you know what im talking about. the input from the steering to the driver is just there.When i had my 05 GT i kind of thought the same thing.Anyway, either an 11 or 12 model GT will be in my driveway in 4-5 months.

Last edited by elvism; 10/9/10 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10/9/10, 08:59 PM

If I had to pick out a flaw it would be the reverse camera in the mirror. It was the only thing that didn't knock me over as the resolution of it was horrid and the image was so small it'd be almost useless for me in a practical setting.

Hmmm. I got the rear-view camera with no nav and think the image in the rear-view mirror is terrific. Very clever placement as it keeps the eyes up and it is very natural to look at the mirror.
Old 10/9/10, 09:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by manashttu

Hmmm. I got the rear-view camera with no nav and think the image in the rear-view mirror is terrific. Very clever placement as it keeps the eyes up and it is very natural to look at the mirror.
oh the placement of it didn't bother me at all, it was just so small and pixelated that the only thing it was really good for is "large object in red/yellow/green" area. Had there been anything like a pole or a bigwheel in the view, I'm not sure I could've seen it in the display.

I'm not expecting HD footage or anything but that looked like something pulled from a webcam camera from 1995. But hey, that's just me and I know [strike]if[/strike] WHEN I get mine, it's going to have the huge Map Screen in the console area.
Old 10/9/10, 10:09 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by elvism
Don't get me wrong,i like the car but i just thought the steering feel would have been better.Maybe because im driving an all-wheel drive x5 and have driven a few times a bmw 335 in the past im comparing the two vehicles(stang-335). If you have ever driven a bmw you know what im talking about. the input from the steering to the driver is just there.When i had my 05 GT i kind of thought the same thing.Anyway, either an 11 or 12 model GT will be in my driveway in 4-5 months.

Elvis is right, the suspension is much softer and has more float, dive and squat when compared to the 335. However, that doesn't mean it has loads of it. The 335 is considered one of the best handling and best "feeling" sport coupes in the world so it may be unfair to expect a Mustang suspension that can be had in a $30K car to match it.

My 335 coupe with sport suspension handled amazingly right out of the box. That said, I can do nearly everything as fast or faster in the GT as I did in the 335. It just isn't as effortless and requires a bit more work, driver input and attention to wring the performance out of this suspension. I found that my handling improved noticeably when I added my 20 inch wheels and the Nitto Invos. It is still a bit floaty over the right surfaces but it grips well and is a very comfortable ride.

If I were going canyon carving or hitting road courses every weekend, I would probably see the need to invest in some adjustable coil-overs etc. However, I am just commuting and enjoying some spirited drives whenever I can so the stock suspension is working just fine for me.

Last edited by jimb05; 10/9/10 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10/10/10, 07:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jimb05
Elvis is right, the suspension is much softer and has more float, dive and squat when compared to the 335. However, that doesn't mean it has loads of it. The 335 is considered one of the best handling and best "feeling" sport coupes in the world so it may be unfair to expect a Mustang suspension that can be had in a $30K car to match it.

My 335 coupe with sport suspension handled amazingly right out of the box. That said, I can do nearly everything as fast or faster in the GT as I did in the 335. It just isn't as effortless and requires a bit more work, driver input and attention to wring the performance out of this suspension. I found that my handling improved noticeably when I added my 20 inch wheels and the Nitto Invos. It is still a bit floaty over the right surfaces but it grips well and is a very comfortable ride.

If I were going canyon carving or hitting road courses every weekend, I would probably see the need to invest in some adjustable coil-overs etc. However, I am just commuting and enjoying some spirited drives whenever I can so the stock suspension is working just fine for me.
I would not have bought my car if it handeld like the auto GT I originally test drove. Its not tied doen at all. The brembo package makes a HUGE diffrence.