Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

V6 vs V8

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/14, 03:34 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by KushBandit
Funny, I've never heard of a V6 Muscle car.... There's an old saying, "horsepower sells cars, torque wins races". As for "no replacement for displacement", it still holds true, and always will if the universe's physics don't change. The 3.7 V6 is essentially maxed out from the factory, right? I haven't seen aftermarket cams or heads for them that have any decent performance impact. Change the H/C of a 4.6 and lets see the H/C 3.7 stay up with it lol. Hell, do it to an old carbureted 289 or 427. Any motor with forced induction can be fast, but can it be fast N/A? Not trying to knock V6 engines, but they'll never be like a V8.
True. But adding on to the 4.6 cost money.

Bolts ons for the old 4.6? Lol

Forced induction, hell yes! However that's money.

Money that could be used for a. 5.0 beast, Roush ,and so the apple and oranges cycle starts....

What we are saying is that for "what it is", the V6 Mustang is a beast of its own in price and performance.

Money is the variable that changes all dynamics.

V6 will never be V8 because it isn't.

You and I will never be Channing Tatum either but We still reel them in. Lol
Old 7/8/14, 03:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
As for "no replacement for displacement", it still holds true, and always will if the universe's physics don't change.
Let me see now, I believe the displacement of this year's Formula 1 cars is 1.6L.
Old 7/8/14, 03:39 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tukatz
Let me see now, I believe the displacement of this year's Formula 1 cars is 1.6L.
And they sound like ****. Friggin buzz boxes. And without the ERS wouldn't have the low end torque.

If displacement is irrelevant then why did Ford invest shareholder money in the Trinity and Dodge in the Hellcat?

Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/8/14 at 03:42 PM.
Old 7/8/14, 03:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I would've been perfectly happy with a 2010 GT with "only" 315hp for a daily driver. Unfortunately, I got stuck with a 5.0 because Ford no longer makes the 4.6

I would be perfectly happy with a 305hp daily driver. I wouldn't be perfectly happy with a V6 sound over a V8 sound. I've owned both, the current V6 sounds good, I'd be okay with it, but I could afford the V8, so I bought it. And it's only a matter of time before I get in trouble with it
Old 7/8/14, 03:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat

It doesn't need to be a V8.

I know this is an interesting concept to some, but some of us are happy with the power the V6 puts out. It's NOTHING like the V6's of the past, that were horribly under powered and bad on gas. It makes good power in stock form, and allows the driver to have some fun without dropping more money on a V8. if people want the V8 then that's just fine, and if people want to stick with the six then that's just fine too.

Some here don't seem to realize that a lot of folks DD their Mustangs, and a lot of folks don't want or need 420 horsepower for a daily driven car. It's great that the V6 offers a good compromise in performance for those folks, so they can get a car that still has some *****.
I agree whole heartedly with your post Joey, I just wanted to clear up confusion that Kona's post may cause. He was saying that the new V6s rival V8s of yesteryear, like 289s, 429 CJs and 427 SOHC, and I had to correct that. Same with his misinterpretation of the "no replacement for displacement" quote. Hell, he's said the 3.7 has the same power as a 2010 4.6, but it doesn't. HP, yes, but not torque, which actually moves the weight of the car.

The 3.7 is a **** good motor, and to squeeze over 300hp out of 6 cylinders is impressive. 300hp is plenty for most people, and I wouldn't, nor have I ever knocked someone for buying anything over a V8. The 3.7 definitely put the 4.0 V6 to shame, and it sure does rival the 4.6 in stock form.

Originally Posted by tukatz
Like I said, anything with Forced induction can be fast. Those new 1.6L have a turbo lol. Can it make 760hp N/a ..... What about the torque?

Originally Posted by Getportfolio

True. But adding on to the 4.6 cost money.

Bolts ons for the old 4.6? Lol

Forced induction, hell yes! However that's money.

Money that could be used for a. 5.0 beast, Roush ,and so the apple and oranges cycle starts....

What we are saying is that for "what it is", the V6 Mustang is a beast of its own in price and performance.

Money is the variable that changes all dynamics.

V6 will never be V8 because it isn't.

You and I will never be Channing Tatum either but We still reel them in. Lol
I'm picking up what's been put down here, I just didn't think Kona was correct in saying that the new V6s rival V8s from the 1960s lol.

Wow guys, I post on this forum and no one usually talks to me. I make one post about the V6 and people go nuts lol.

Last edited by KushBandit; 7/8/14 at 03:56 PM.
Old 7/8/14, 03:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Double post.
Old 7/8/14, 03:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Funny, I've never heard of a V6 Muscle car....

There's an old saying, "horsepower sells cars, torque wins races". Kona, I've seen your posts about 2011 3.7's having the same horsepower, but what about torque? Seems its down 40ft/lbs. No offense to you, but it seems that a V8 owner may have ruffled your feathers somewhere along the line, at least your posts come off that way.

As for "no replacement for displacement", it still holds true, and always will if the universe's physics don't change. The 3.7 V6 is essentially maxed out from the factory, right? I haven't seen aftermarket cams or heads for them that have any decent performance impact. Change the H/C of a 4.6 and lets see the H/C 3.7 stay up with it lol. Hell, do it to an old carbureted 289 or 427.

Any motor with forced induction can be fast, but can it be fast N/A? Not trying to knock V6 engines, but they'll never be like a V8. I would love to see a V6 with 400 ft/lbs. with no boost, but it'll never happen. That's why we have V8's.
Funny, mustangs were never considered muscle cars, period. They were and are pony cars. The muscle cars were the engines with far bigger displacement than the V8 of the mustang. Examples of muscle cars would be the old Challengers, Chargers, Nova's, Barracuda's. Not a mustang.

No V8 owners ruffled feathers on this old bird at all. Its just funny to watch the butt hurt of the V8 enthusiasts when the smaller engines are making the same or near equal power as the big bad V8. The fact that the 11v6 has 40 less torque than a 2010 V8 is not a big factor. Being that if gearing is the same, the 11 V6 will stay neck and neck with the 10 V8 all day long.

Just because a car has bigger displacement doesn't mean its faster and the Challenger RT is living proof of that. My little modded 227 cubic inch 3.7 would beat the ball snot out of the far larger displacement, V8 Challengers and in fact has many of times..In today's car technology bigger displacement is not always needed to make power and a car fast.

You say a V6 will never have 400 lbs torque N/A. I'm sure years ago people said a V6 mustang will never get 300 plus HP and run 1/4 miles in 14 flat. Never happen will it. Ha ha ha! Who knows what tomorrow's technology will bring. Engines are constantly evolving and to think that only V8's make big power, is silly.

The V8 stigma is the only real muscle like car engine is old fashioned, far outdated way of thinking and being darn near extinct in the not too distant future.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 7/8/14 at 04:19 PM.
Old 7/8/14, 04:07 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Since this thread had become a testosterone contest, let's just change the rules to V8 members only.

I'm 62, just retired, in the middle of a divorce, and sad to say despite the generation I'm from I've never owned a muscle car. But I do now and am grateful every day that I was in a personal and financial position to buy a GT. It was a stretch and a little over budget, but I owed it to myself.

But if my situation was different I would gladly have "settled" for a V6 'vert and still been happy as hell. I just wanted the best Mustang I could afford, just like everyone here despite the size of their motors.

I would have have loved to have owned a Shelby or a Roush, but that wasn't going to happen. And at the numerous shows and cruises I've attended with my Mustang, not one Shelby or Roush owner has ever looked down their noses at my simple, un-modded 5.0....in fact, I get nothing but compliments, advice, and encouragement from owners of Mustangs that I'll never have unless I build it on the Ford Customizer.

To all of you V6 and future EB owners, if you see a black GT 'vert coming your way, the driver showing honking his horn, wearing a huge toothy grin and a waving at you with a big thumbs up, that'll be me.

We're all in the same club.

Rant over....

Tom
Old 7/8/14, 04:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Since this thread had become a testosterone contest, let's just change the rules to V8 members only.

I'm 62, just retired, in the middle of a divorce, and sad to say despite the generation I'm from I've never owned a muscle car. But I do now and am grateful every day that I was in a personal and financial position to buy a GT. It was a stretch and a little over budget, but I owed it to myself.

But if my situation was different I would gladly have "settled" for a V6 'vert and still been happy as hell. I just wanted the best Mustang I could afford, just like everyone here despite the size of their motors.

I would have have loved to have owned a Shelby or a Roush, but that wasn't going to happen. And at the numerous shows and cruises I've attended with my Mustang, not one Shelby or Roush owner has ever looked down their noses at my simple, un-modded 5.0....in fact, I get nothing but compliments, advice, and encouragement from owners of Mustangs that I'll never have unless I build it on the Ford Customizer.

To all of you V6 and future EB owners, if you see a black GT 'vert coming your way, the driver showing honking his horn, wearing a huge toothy grin and a waving at you with a big thumbs up, that'll be me.

We're all in the same club.

Rant over....

Tom
Tom, congratulations on your purchase of a GT. The V8 models are full of awesome as is the V6 models and the soon to be 4 banger turbo. For some reason to many , people equate engine size to performance and speed. Wrong. Speed is speed. Fast is fast. 4, 6, 8,10, 12 cylinders , fast is fast regardless of ones engine displacement or how many cylinders.

A 14 second V8 1/4 mile car is equal fast as a 14 second V6 1/4 mile car. 10 pounds of feathers weigh equal to 10 pounds of bricks.
Old 7/8/14, 04:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
This thread got all crazy. All I said was we don't look like Channing Tatum. Haha Stop telling girls youre Magic Mike .
Old 7/8/14, 05:19 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
This thread got all crazy. All I said was we don't look like Channing Tatum. Haha Stop telling girls youre Magic Mike .
I don't tell girls anything. I just go channing all over their tatum

Can we PLEEEEASE close this thread now?
Old 7/8/14, 06:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
People who own 5.0 Coyotes are GODS. I had to get that out there. Now it can be locked.
Old 7/8/14, 06:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
It is funny how the V6 owners feel like they have to defend themselves like little man complex while saying the V8 owners are all old and outdated. At the same time many V6 owners are first time Mustang owners and only have experienced a rwd car with decent power just recently and for them that's enough. For the rest of us we need torque, sound, motion and mod-ability which is what the V8 delivers.
Old 7/8/14, 06:19 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Stirrin' the pot worked.
Old 7/8/14, 06:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
It is funny how the V6 owners feel like they have to defend themselves like little man complex while saying the V8 owners are all old and outdated. At the same time many V6 owners are first time Mustang owners and only have experienced a rwd car with decent power just recently and for them that's enough. For the rest of us we need torque, sound, motion and mod-ability which is what the V8 delivers.
I must be a different v6 owner, for me v8 is the only way to go. I just got stuck with a 6 cylinder.