Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Uhaul towing trailer

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/15, 10:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Uhaul towing trailer

I am moving cross country and considering loading my mustang on one of the uhaul trailers.

Has anyone used one of these before? Are they safe?
Old 7/7/15, 11:21 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
from my own experience they are not reliable, so i haven't and wouldn't use their trailers. They just don't seem to care about their stuff so I'd be wary of using them again, especially for a long haul, and carrying something so valuable. When i moved back to BC I had a close friend drive my truck while i drove the stang home.
Old 7/7/15, 11:48 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used one about a year ago and it was not too bad. I had to move a car from PA to MN that I was working on before I moved here. When I went to pick up the trailer, they had 3 there, and I had to refuse to hook up to the first 2 they tried to give me because I did not think they looked safe for my 1000 mile trip. The 3rd one was not in great shape either, but was not in as bad of shape as the others and it just had new tires put on it.

It did the job, but I was extremely cautious as I have had bad luck with them before on rentals. Only problem I ran into was losing half the license plate somewhere between Ohio and Chicago. They tried to blame and charge me for the plate, but luckily I took out the insurance on the trailer when I rented it. If you do go this route, the insurance is a great idea because if you miss an issue at initial inspection and they find it later, you will get stuck with the bill.
Old 7/8/15, 11:02 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I have used their two dollies to haul my Ranger twice to move from Virginia to Washington and back. I had no issues. I have never used a car trailer.
Old 7/8/15, 01:16 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Make sure your insurance will cover your Mustang. If everything checks out, you'll be fine
Old 7/8/15, 02:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Remember, U-Haul ain't the only option either - Penske Truck Rental is pretty much everywhere too. If the equipment is in good working order and you load the car right, you should have no problems. You could also explore having your car shipped by truck if you don't need it immediately - I think that can be fairly reasonable on price.
Old 7/8/15, 03:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Penske is the way to go for long hauls.I have hauled 3 cars across the country with zero problems. Don't use any dollys that leave two wheels still on the ground. You also might want to protect the front of the car with tape or shrink wrap. Rental prices can very greatly from city to city so somtimes driving to the next city can save. An example I ran into was in Rochester NY the price was way higher than driving an hour to Buffalo.
Old 7/9/15, 12:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
what are you towing with? I've never personally used a UHaul car trailer (I bought a car trailer instead).

Something to consider - buy a car trailer and re-sell at your new location. They hold their value really well... food for thought.
Old 7/13/15, 11:36 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Uhaul works fine. Just make sure you get the auto transporter and not the dolly. The transporter with a GT on it weighs close to 6000 pounds, so you really need at least a half ton truck to tow it safely. We hauled ours from Kansas City to central Kentucky with no problems.

It is a really tight fit so make sure you take it easy loading and have a spotter on each side to make sure you don't hit anything. I had to back up off the trailer about 5 times before I got it just right. After 50 miles or so stop and tighten the straps on the front tires and stop periodically to check the straps and the trailer tires. Usually after the first time you tighten the straps you are good, though. Also, when you're unloading, it helps to have some pieces of 2x8 or 2x10 at the base of the ramps to keep from dragging the exhaust. By the way, the driver's side trailer fender pivots down so you can get in and out of the car.

I attached some pictures so you can see how it fits.

Good luck with your move.
Attached Thumbnails Uhaul towing trailer-1.jpg   Uhaul towing trailer-2.jpg   Uhaul towing trailer-3.jpg   Uhaul towing trailer-5.jpg   Uhaul towing trailer-6.jpg