2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Trading my 11-second '07 GT for a 2011 V6 MCA with Perf Pkg

Search this Thread

Old 2/13/11, 08:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats Brian, on your decision and working out your finances. You will enjoy the hell out of your new 5.0. It was a hard decision for me to sell my 03 Cobra, but i'm so glad i did.
Old 2/13/11, 11:01 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Well that's cool... as for me, I don't have any papers. Mine came from the school of running my own businesses, dreaming, combined with hours and hours on a TI Comp Int calculator and writing numerous XL spread sheets to run scenarios. Banks don't give start ups loans, so I had to think outside the box a long time ago. Before it was a saying.
School of hard knocks is just as valuable (often more) as a fancy degree. I never went back for my masters degree, but ran several businesses after my bachelor's degree that taught me a bunch.
Old 2/13/11, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by 2011GB/CS
Congrats Brian, on your decision and working out your finances. You will enjoy the hell out of your new 5.0. It was a hard decision for me to sell my 03 Cobra, but i'm so glad i did.
I've often toyed with the idea of a Terminator (bought a new 03 Mach 1 instead). I see you have an 87 Buick GN - don't ever sell that one! That's my favorite Buick ever (next to the 87 GNX or 70 GS 455 Stage I).
Old 2/13/11, 01:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
I've often toyed with the idea of a Terminator (bought a new 03 Mach 1 instead). I see you have an 87 Buick GN - don't ever sell that one! That's my favorite Buick ever (next to the 87 GNX or 70 GS 455 Stage I).
This is actually my second GN, i had one back in June of 97 till of Nov 99, and sold it. I bought this one in Feb. lastyear and i vowed to myself and my wife i won't make the same mistake again of selling this one. These things get respect and everyone is fasinated buy them. Chicks dig-em too

Yeah i'd love to have a GNX, but i need to hit the lottery 1st.
Old 2/13/11, 07:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Congrats brian on the 5.0 glad you could keep a pony in your stable somewhat envious its a 5.0 especially after catching up with a buddy of mine locally who got promoted recently after earning his bachelors. Anyways he traded up to a 2011 5.0 premium candy red 3.73s 19s from a 05 4.0. So far he's only done corsa axle backs which sound amazing, so we both spent some time revving and admiring each others rides and while I really like my 3.7 and getting almost 20% better gas mileage then he gets in similar daily commutes the sound of the 5.0 can only be described as intoxicating especially in the 3000-6500 range I admit I tried to convince him to get the new pypes super system but he doesn't want any drone

Last edited by 3.73-11; 2/13/11 at 07:06 PM.
Old 2/13/11, 07:29 PM
Cobra R Member

When times were tough for me in the mid-'90's I drove the hell out of a 13-yr-old Datsun King Cab with well north of 100,000 miles on it. To me THAT's when times are hard, not when trying to decide between a new Taurus sedan or Mustang, albeit a V6.

To the original question, how could I not vote for the V6 Mustang?
Old 2/13/11, 07:49 PM
Banned

Nice car, Brian; I hope your choice works out for you.
Old 2/13/11, 09:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats Brian. i just read thru this epic thread, and i have to agree with what you have done and am happy for you. You only live once right? Goodluck keeping that 5.0 stock i know i couldnt....
Old 2/13/11, 09:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SoFlo Mustang
Goodluck keeping that 5.0 stock i know i couldnt....
I SECOND THAT FOR SURE!!! LOL but in all seriousness.. congrats on reaching a conclusion... I'm sure you'll love the 5.0! I couldn't get behind the decision to do the V6... but now that you're doing the 5.0... well..
Old 2/13/11, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by 3.73-11
Congrats brian on the 5.0 glad you could keep a pony in your stable somewhat envious its a 5.0 especially after catching up with a buddy of mine locally who got promoted recently after earning his bachelors. Anyways he traded up to a 2011 5.0 premium candy red 3.73s 19s from a 05 4.0. So far he's only done corsa axle backs which sound amazing, so we both spent some time revving and admiring each others rides and while I really like my 3.7 and getting almost 20% better gas mileage then he gets in similar daily commutes the sound of the 5.0 can only be described as intoxicating especially in the 3000-6500 range I admit I tried to convince him to get the new pypes super system but he doesn't want any drone
Thanks. The 3.7L is a great V6 and the fuel economy benefits were not lost on me. I just gotta have the sound that only a V8 makes, though. I've owned a V6 Mustang (and a 4 cylinder Mustang, too) and keep coming back to V8's.
Old 2/13/11, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
When times were tough for me in the mid-'90's I drove the hell out of a 13-yr-old Datsun King Cab with well north of 100,000 miles on it. To me THAT's when times are hard, not when trying to decide between a new Taurus sedan or Mustang, albeit a V6.

To the original question, how could I not vote for the V6 Mustang?
Yeah, I know, times are tough so I'm buying a new car. Doesn't compute for a lot of people. However, we've sacrificed in a lot of other areas of our life, where other people might not choose to sacrifice, so giving in to my one vice may not make sense to everyone, but I deserve to have one good thing to look forward to daily.
Old 2/13/11, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
Nice car, Brian; I hope your choice works out for you.
I hope it works out, too. I'll post some pics next week after I take delivery. The '11 GT is on a train right now on its way to our dealership.
Old 2/13/11, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by SoFlo Mustang
Congrats Brian. i just read thru this epic thread, and i have to agree with what you have done and am happy for you. You only live once right? Goodluck keeping that 5.0 stock i know i couldnt....
So true, we only live once, so we have to do it right. I hope I'm doing it right. The 5.0L needs to stay stock for a long time, though, but I'm sure there will be temptations.
Old 2/13/11, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by starbai
I SECOND THAT FOR SURE!!! LOL but in all seriousness.. congrats on reaching a conclusion... I'm sure you'll love the 5.0! I couldn't get behind the decision to do the V6... but now that you're doing the 5.0... well..
Thanks! I was trying to talk myself into the V6; really!
Old 2/14/11, 10:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Congrats!
Having faced this same dilemma in the car business, just two short years ago, I'm glad to see you are able to stay on the positive side.
If you remember, I was in management at a local Ford store and was in the process of paying down 6 figure debt from some bad decisions compounded by credit card thievery. Since that time, I am debt free except my home,(Which will go on sale in the next month) married, and saving up for my down payment for a smaller home and hopefully a 5.0.
I have learned a bunch, but am extremely happy going forward with my life. I owe my success to a caring and patient wife. It helps having a partner to talk things through doesn't it?
Old 2/14/11, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
I owe my success to a caring and patient wife. It helps having a partner to talk things through doesn't it?
You've been through a lot these last couple years. Glad to hear it's working out finally. Our wives have been great at keeping us on the right path, it appears, while allowing us a bit of indulgence.
Old 2/14/11, 01:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

You should have went with the SHO. Sorry I didn't see this post sooner. The guys on the SHO forum with tunes are running 12.9's easy. Complete with torque mangement to makes things easy on the trans. Enjoy the Mustang! I have a 5.0 on the way as well. (second car)

Last edited by bpmurr; 2/14/11 at 01:09 PM.
Old 2/14/11, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by bpmurr
You should have went with the SHO. Sorry I didn't see this post sooner. The guys on the SHO forum with tunes are running 12.9's easy. Complete with torque mangement to makes things easy on the trans. Enjoy the Mustang! I have a 5.0 on the way as well. (second car)
The SHO is an awesome car, but it is about $12K more than the 5.0L I'm buying, so it would not have freed up the cash I need now. The lease rates on SHO's are awesome right now, by the way. 5.0L Mustangs have crappy lease rates, so I'm doing a conventional loan on it.

Nice that you'll have both in your stable soon!
Old 2/14/11, 02:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Brian,

I think you will be surprised (unless you really want to overcome a "perceived" power deficit) how little you might feel the need to modify the stock set-up, especially when compared to the 2005-09 models.

Assuming you daily drive it and then occasionally wing it down a 1/4 mile track for periodic enjoyment, the base suspension settings in the 2010 GTs were a very good starting point. I know that more aggressive straightline or cornering situations are going to demand more, especially if you are very experienced. However, I really believe Ford did an excellent job in damping the car better and you can feel that on the street.

Between what was done for the '10-'11 engine change, along with your Brembo package tire upgrade, I would wager the stock wheel will be noticably improved, especially if you can remember your base '07 GT from long ago

My comments are based on my 2010 GT experience extrapolated to 2011, as I have not driven the new 5.0 GT.

Of course, one could also improve things, but as a starting point, I really have been extremely happy with the stock set-up. Maybe I am getting older but I really haven't needed to make changes, based on the way I am driving it.
Old 2/14/11, 03:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats Brian! I think you definitely made the right choice. Can't wait to see it!

Quick Reply: Trading my 11-second '07 GT for a 2011 V6 MCA with Perf Pkg