2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

track pack available at ford build and price

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/09 | 09:33 PM

I believe they decided not to add the spoiler options etc for a sleeper profile. I heard that Ford was trying to keep the track pack Mustang to look like a sleeper. That does not make as much sense since it is only available with the premium package. Anyways, I ordered mine on July 23 with the Track Pack and it currently has an estimated delivery date for the first week of October. It has been a very very long process but it should be here soon. I am excited because I do not think there will be too many of these out there for awhile.
Old 9/20/09 | 10:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by mustang6767c
has anyone seen one at a dealer yet? I am debating whether to go and order or wait until they hit dealer lots. I'm in Southern California and I'm surprised none of my local dealers have a single one.
Our first '10 TrackPack showed up a few days ago. Looks sinister (black on black leather). Price after discount and rebates is just shy of $31K. I have ordered several more of them, but we're still waiting for them to be built and shipped.
Old 9/20/09 | 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by BA Mustang
I thought I read on here that someone ordered a new 2010 w/Track Pack and spoiler came with it since the dealer didn't note the spoiler is supposed to be deleted.
I order all of our Mustangs at the dealership I work for. I did not specify "spoiler delete" when I ordered our TrackPacks, and our first one showed up without the spoiler, just as it was supposed to. The '10 TrackPack with a spoiler was a factory misbuild (goof) - it's that simple.
Old 9/20/09 | 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by optimus
I do not think there will be too many of these out there for awhile.
You're likely correct. I only order about 20% of our GT's as TrackPacks. Mostly because of the summer tires, since we're in the NW where we get lots of rain and some snow and most Mustang GT buyers drive their Mustangs year 'round. I order about 20% of our GT's as convertibles (mostly automatics), about 20% of our GT coupes as automatics, and the remaining 40% as GT coupes with manual trans with the 3.73 axle package. I don't think Ford intended TrackPacks to be common, and most dealers are smart enough to know that the take rate will be fairly low on them.
Old 9/21/09 | 12:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by karman
They save money on the spoiler.
They only lose a tiny portion of the $1500 (the profit on the option).
They probably are offering the cheaper 19" wheel (also saving money).
What do you mean "saving money"? I'm PAYING THEM FOR IT!!! This isn't like finding out they've replaced all the metal with plastic for the track-pack option.

Originally Posted by karman
You can buy a spoiler at the dealership if you really want the useless thing.
Why? 'Cause having them put it on at the factory is harder than shipping individual spoilers around the country and having them installed at dealerships? Or because it's great for the customer to know that after they spent $35k+ for the car they have to go through more hoops after the fact for a part that's already being installed at the factory?

Originally Posted by Arcangel
why do so many people car about the roof yes its nice but its way expensive for a purely cosmetic add on, I would much rather have the performance in a car like this, not ooooo look at the sky!, whos gonna have time when I'm gonna be looking at the white lines blur!
Under that logic, Ford shouldn't even offer a choice in exterior paint color, wheel style options, no stereo or AC or anything, period.

The Mustang isn't a "pure track" car and never was, nor was it ever intended to be, nor is it marketed that way. In fact, one of the main reasons it's still around (and has such a successful buyer history) is because of the features that could be added to it. It's the affordable American sports car with luxury appeal. Great on the track and off. I get my vroom-vroom with my stereo and this cool glass roof...

Originally Posted by Blainestang
Basically, they don't want people ordering the "Track-oriented" package for the car, and then loading it up with a bunch of stuff that makes it slower and less "focused". They want the track-pack cars to be the most capable cars... and if someone buys the "Track Pack", plus all the scoops, and the useless spoiler, and the Mach 1000, and the [probably] heavier 19's, and the glass roof... you very well may end up with a car that's slower than a lightly-optioned non-Track Pack GT.
And yer point was? Everyone knows that a fully loaded car won't perform as well as a stripped down trans-am racer. And what, the 28lb. glass roof and side scoop options are going to really cause that much of a lag? If you're buying the 'Stang intentionally for serious track use, why would you buy the glass roof and fake scoops anyway? And why would taking a premium trim and giving it an upgraded suspension be bad? Upgraded brakes will hurt my performance?

Is there anyone out there who'd like to bet me that my '07 Automatic GT premium, fully loaded with its upgrades, performs worse than a non-upgraded '07 Automatic GT premium fully loaded? I doubt it. And I'm pretty sure if I threw on an upgraded suspension package and brake package I'd still win that bet.

I'm sure that's part of the reason you can't buy automatic Cobras, either... which is another case where I say, "Good for Ford."
Usually with a more powerful engine, you have to consider the rest of the drive-line linked to it. The stock manual and automatic transmissions have different tolerances, so what works for one may trash the other (or get too close to the thresholds of warranty safety).

No offense to the guys who WANT both the TP and the accessories, but I like that Ford has said basically, "If we're going to market this as a track-oriented package, then that IS going to be it's focus."
Doesn't matter. First off, like all other strictly-performance-oriented mods, if that's how they wanted the track-pack to be taken, it should exist only on the FRPP list and NOT as a normal build option. Second, if I add an upgraded suspension package to my automatic, it definitely won't be a world record first. Thirdly, it's money. If I want to have a spoiler and glass roof and an automatic with upgraded suspension and brakes, then they should be trying to sell it to me. 'Cause at the end of the day I'd be saying "look at this great new Mustang I got from Ford", and I'd be out showing it off and racing (not to mention outperforming the normal automatics)...rather than coming up with new four-letter nicknames for the fk-heads at Ford who came up with this plan.
Old 9/21/09 | 03:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

You *can* get the track pack on the deluxe, if that's what you're getting at.
Really, you can order the track pack on the base Mustang GT? (there is no "deluxe" anymore) Everything I've read, including the Ford website where you can build your own Mustang, says the Track Pack is only available on the Premum GT.
Old 9/21/09 | 05:04 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Looks like no rear-view camera for the Track Pack either.
Old 9/21/09 | 06:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ford went with the premium based on previous years sales stats. What they found is that most buyers preferred the content of the premium and were more likely to upgrade with more options, while base GT buyers were looking purely at price.
Old 9/21/09 | 07:53 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Arrow
And yer point was? Everyone knows that a fully loaded car won't perform as well as a stripped down trans-am racer. And what, the 28lb. glass roof and side scoop options are going to really cause that much of a lag? If you're buying the 'Stang intentionally for serious track use, why would you buy the glass roof and fake scoops anyway? And why would taking a premium trim and giving it an upgraded suspension be bad? Upgraded brakes will hurt my performance?
You're definitely inferring more than I implied or said.

All I said was that Ford doesn't want people buying the track pack and then loading the car down with a bunch of features that make it slower, whether the difference is SIGNIFICANT or not. I'm not saying the hood scoop is going to slow you down a significant amount, and I'm not disagreeing that someone who wants a SERIOUS track car will probably skip the Track Pack and add even BETTER components onto an optionless "base" GT or start with a Body-in-White... all I'm saying is that it's obvious that Ford wants the "Track Pack" cars to be 'focused' on performance and NOT on convenience, luxury, or looks.

Is there anyone out there who'd like to bet me that my '07 Automatic GT premium, fully loaded with its upgrades, performs worse than a non-upgraded '07 Automatic GT premium fully loaded? I doubt it. And I'm pretty sure if I threw on an upgraded suspension package and brake package I'd still win that bet.
So, you're saying a TP-equipped GT is going to be faster than the exact same car without TP? If so, yeah, we're in agreement, obviously.

Certainly Ford knows that, too... but they just want to keep the TP to cars that are focused on performance. Why exactly? You'll have to ask Ford.

Usually with a more powerful engine, you have to consider the rest of the drive-line linked to it. The stock manual and automatic transmissions have different tolerances, so what works for one may trash the other (or get too close to the thresholds of warranty safety).
That's why I specifically said that it was PART of the reason. There certainly are instances where they don't have an auto trans capable of handling the Cobra's power. However, given that they made auto Mach's, why didn't they put an auto in the '99-'01 Cobras... even if it cost a little R&D? Probably for the same reason as above... they want to keep the Cobras focused on performance. I'm sure they could have SOLD more if they offered an AUTO, but sometimes even when the immediate financial net (R&D vs. additional sales) is positive, they still don't do it... kinda like the TP.

Doesn't matter. First off, like all other strictly-performance-oriented mods, if that's how they wanted the track-pack to be taken, it should exist only on the FRPP list and NOT as a normal build option. Second, if I add an upgraded suspension package to my automatic, it definitely won't be a world record first. Thirdly, it's money. If I want to have a spoiler and glass roof and an automatic with upgraded suspension and brakes, then they should be trying to sell it to me. 'Cause at the end of the day I'd be saying "look at this great new Mustang I got from Ford", and I'd be out showing it off and racing (not to mention outperforming the normal automatics)...rather than coming up with new four-letter nicknames for the fk-heads at Ford who came up with this plan.
I disagree.

Ford shouldn't just sell you *whatever* you want just because they end up with more money.

What if you want a Cobra Convertible w/ an automatic, Yellow exterior with a Tan top, black interior, white stripes, and V6 wheels?

IMO, they should NOT sell you that, even if it means they are making money. It dilutes the Cobra brand. I think that's similar to their thinking on the Track Pack. Maybe they don't want a car they call a "Track Pack" car out there with an automatic, Mach 1000, back-up camera, glass roof (all weight added to the absolute WORST place, the top of the car), etc. Let's say you have a manual option-less "base" GT and a auto Premium GT with every single option you can possibly buy... plus the TP... both show up at a track day at Sebring. How does it look for Ford when their "Track Pack" car is slower than the "base" model car?

I'm not saying the Track Pack "brand" is as important to 'defend' as the Cobra brand, but I'm just trying to show what I believe their thinking is.

Originally Posted by Ministang
Really, you can order the track pack on the base Mustang GT? (there is no "deluxe" anymore) Everything I've read, including the Ford website where you can build your own Mustang, says the Track Pack is only available on the Premum GT.
I was messing around on the Build-your-own site, and purposely built a "base" GT with the Track Pack to see if you could, but because the website was working REALLY slow, I was flipping back and forth between other websites, and either I or the slow-running website must have screwed up. Probably me.

You're right... it's only on the Premium GT.

... Which somewhat goes against the "all-performance" idea of eliminating OTHER options with the TP, but the TP Premium GT will almost certainly still be faster than a stock 'base' GT around a track.
Old 9/21/09 | 10:12 PM
FR500 Member

^^^ And that's just it. I think FordBlueHeart nailed it. IMO, an "all-performance" Track Pack equipped Mustang would be a base level GT with limited options. In addition to having features I neither want nor need, the Premium GT has additional weight (perhaps not a lot, but still...) an enemy of performance - see Camaro and Challenger. Having a lower purchase price would be the icing on the cake. The only thing I can think of as to why Ford limits the options when a Premium GT is equipped with the Track Pack may be because the buyer may "overload" the car with enough options to the point that the additional weight gain would severely minimize any performance gains the Track Pack may offer. ????? Meh. I don't know anymore.
Old 9/21/09 | 10:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Guys, the options limitations exist because the fewer possible vehicle combinations you have in a factory the cheaper it is to run that factory....pure and simple. That is why you can only get the TP on the Deluxe and that is why you can't order every option on a Track Pack car.
Old 9/21/09 | 10:24 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by jsaylor
Guys, the options limitations exist because the fewer possible vehicle combinations you have in a factory the cheaper it is to run that factory....pure and simple. That is why you can only get the TP on the Deluxe and that is why you can't order every option on a Track Pack car.
That too! I do believe Track Pack is only available for the Premium GT. Darn counters of beans!
Old 9/22/09 | 02:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by hi5.0
That too! I do believe Track Pack is only available for the Premium GT. Darn counters of beans!
Actually I meant to say Premium, thanks for the catch.
Old 9/22/09 | 06:48 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
an "all-performance" Track Pack equipped Mustang would be a base level GT with limited options.
I agree.

In fact, this may keep me frm buying a more expensive Mustang, just like those that can't buy the scoops and accessories.

Instead of spending $34k (MSRP) for a Grabber Blue PREMIUM GT with TP, I'll probably just buy a "base" GT for $28k (MSRP) and add superior suspension/brakes/etc myself. Of course, I'll be waiting for the 5.0 or EcoBoost V6, too.