Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

towing with the '13 v6

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/12, 04:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
towing with the '13 v6

i'm wondering if its possible to tow a small trailer with a waverunner with the '13 v6 w/ the performance pkg( if it makes a difference )

If it is, what would I need?

Thanks!
Old 9/2/12, 05:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I tow with my '11 GT/CS and also towed with my '07 GT vert.

Does the manual say you can tow with a V6?

What I find does not indicate fitting a V6...might try calling one of the listed hitch companies... http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2013_Ford_Mustang.htm
Old 9/2/12, 05:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AzPete
I tow with my '11 GT/CS and also towed with my '07 GT vert.

Does the manual say you can tow with a V6?

What I find does not indicate fitting a V6...might try calling one of the listed hitch companies... http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2013_Ford_Mustang.htm
well car is on the way so I dont have a manual. I would do it by spring break anyway but if it a big cost, then i have time to save up. That one says it can deform the car lol oh geez
Old 9/2/12, 06:09 PM

the deformation referenced is for the fascia (i.e., plastic bumper cover at the bottom) - i wouldn't worry, it doesn't seem to get in the way of some of my friends' S197 cars with hitches. fwiw, i just ordered the curt 11210 and intend to tow a 4x6' trailer that weighs about 700lbs and 80lbs tongue weight fully loaded. autoanything is having a special, 15% off $150 or more this weekend, so it brought the price down to just over $100.
Old 9/2/12, 06:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen a guy towing a Jetski with a 96 Cobra, and another guy towing a 16ft bayliner with a 2010ish Corvette.

It can be done!
Old 9/2/12, 06:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by boardkat
the deformation referenced is for the fascia (i.e., plastic bumper cover at the bottom) - i wouldn't worry, it doesn't seem to get in the way of some of my friends' S197 cars with hitches. fwiw, i just ordered the curt 11210 and intend to tow a 4x6' trailer that weighs about 700lbs and 80lbs tongue weight fully loaded. autoanything is having a special, 15% off $150 or more this weekend, so it brought the price down to just over $100.
Can you PM me or send me a link please ? Are yoy doing it to a 13 v6? I cant see signatures or nothing on the mobile app
Old 9/2/12, 06:28 PM
Cobra Member

Owners manual...

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...d=&kevin=rules

Last edited by AzPete; 9/3/12 at 06:46 AM.
Old 9/2/12, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by mopar?
Can you PM me or send me a link please ? Are yoy doing it to a 13 v6? I cant see signatures or nothing on the mobile app
shoot, i overlooked the V6 part (i have a GT) - that said, i wouldn't worry, unless it's significantly heavier. heck, i towed this same setup with less power on a lighter car (solstice gxp) a few years back.

http://www.autoanything.com/towing/73A3874A0A0.aspx

discount code is relax15 (works until 9/4) to save 15% off $150+. i bought some floor mats to get over $150, but they have lots of other things that you might want in the $25 range.
Old 9/2/12, 08:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Owners Manuals

Look on page 190.

Your vehicle may tow a Class I trailer provided the maximum trailer weight is less than or equal to the maximum trailer weight listed for your vehicle configuration on the following chart.

Powertrain Maximum Trailer Weight - lb (kg)

3.7L TiVCT 1000 (454)
5.0L TiVCT 1000 (454)
Old 9/2/12, 10:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AzPete
Link doesn't work
Old 9/2/12, 10:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by boardkat
shoot, i overlooked the V6 part (i have a GT) - that said, i wouldn't worry, unless it's significantly heavier. heck, i towed this same setup with less power on a lighter car (solstice gxp) a few years back.

http://www.autoanything.com/towing/73A3874A0A0.aspx

discount code is relax15 (works until 9/4) to save 15% off $150+. i bought some floor mats to get over $150, but they have lots of other things that you might want in the $25 range.
Well on the manual it says you can only tow with the v6 and the base GT which is very interesting !

It also says this "
  • Hitches
    Do not use a hitch that either clamps onto the bumper or attaches to the axle. Distribute the trailer load so 10–15% of the total trailer weight is on the tongue. "
Where does this one hook onto ?

It says v6 vert and GT coupe only on the site, is there a difference to the back of the car in the vert and coupe? I'll give them a call to see.

Last edited by mopar?; 9/2/12 at 10:44 PM.
Old 9/2/12, 11:11 PM
Bullitt Member

From the 2013 Mustang Owners Manual

TOWING A TRAILER
WARNING: Do not exceed the GVWR or the GAWR specified on the certification label.
WARNING: Towing trailers beyond the maximum recommended gross trailer weight exceeds the limit of the vehicle and could result in engine damage, transmission damage, structural damage, loss of vehicle control, vehicle rollover and personal injury. Your vehicle’s load capacity is designated by weight, not by volume, so you cannot necessarily use all available space when loading a vehicle. Towing a trailer places an additional load on your vehicle’s engine, transmission, axle, brakes, tires and suspension. Inspect these components periodically during, and after, any towing operation.

Load Placement
To help minimize how trailer movement affects the vehicle when driving:
Load the heaviest items closest to the trailer floor.
Load the heaviest items so they are centered between the left and right side trailer tires.
Load the heaviest items above the trailer axles or just slightly forward toward the trailer tongue. Do not allow the final trailer tongue weight to go above or below 10–15% of the loaded trailer weight.
Select a tow bar with the correct rise or drop. When both the loaded vehicle and trailer are connected, the trailer frame should be level, or slightly angled down toward the vehicle, when viewed from the side. When driving with a trailer or payload, a slight takeoff vibration or shudder may be present due to the increased payload weight. Additional information regarding proper trailer loading and setting your vehicle up for towing is noted under Load limit in the Load Carrying chapter and in the RV & Trailer Towing Guide, available at your authorized dealer.

RECOMMENDED TOWING WEIGHTS
Note: Do not tow with the Boss 302, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, GT Deluxe or Shelby GT500 models; they are not rated to tow a trailer.
Note: Do not exceed the trailer weight for your vehicle configuration listed in the chart below.
Note: Make sure to take into consideration trailer frontal area. Do not exceed:
12 feet(1.11 meters) trailer frontal area.
Note: For high altitude operation, reduce the gross combined weight by 2% per 1000 feet (300 meters) starting at the 1000 foot (300 meter) elevation point.
Note: Certain states require electric trailer brakes for trailers over a specified weight. Be sure to check state regulations for this specified weight. The maximum trailer weights listed may be limited to this specified weight, as the vehicle’s electrical system may not include the wiring connector needed to activate electric trailer brakes. Your vehicle may tow a Class I trailer provided the maximum trailer weight is less than or equal to the maximum trailer weight listed for your vehicle configuration on the following chart.

Powertrain Maximum Trailer Weight - lb (kg)
3.7L TiVCT 1000 (454)
5.0L TiVCT 1000 (454)

ESSENTIAL TOWING CHECKS
Follow these guidelines to ensure safe towing:
Do not tow a trailer until your vehicle has been driven at least 1000 miles (1600 kilometers).
Consult your local motor vehicle laws for towing a trailer.
Refer to the instructions included with towing accessories for the proper installation and adjustment specifications.
Service your vehicle more frequently if you tow a trailer. Refer to your scheduled maintenance information.
If you use a rental trailer, follow the instructions the rental agency gives you. For load specification terms found on the tire label and Safety Compliance label and for instructions on calculating your vehicle’s load, refer to Load limit in the Load Carrying chapter. Remember to account for the trailer tongue weight as part of the vehicle load when calculating the total vehicle weight.

Hitches
Do not use a hitch that either clamps onto the bumper or attach's to the axle. Distribute the trailer load so 10-15% of the total trailer weight is on the tongue.

Safety Chains
Note: Never attach safety chains to the bumper.
Always connect the safety chains to the hook retainers of the vehicle hitch.
To connect the safety chains, cross them under the trailer tongue and allow enough slack for turning tight corners. Do not allow the chains to drag on the ground.
Trailer Brakes
WARNING: Do not connect a trailer’s hydraulic brake system directly to your vehicle’s brake system. Your vehicle may not have enough braking power and your chances of having a collision greatly increase.
Electric brakes and manual, automatic or surge-type trailer brakes are safe if installed properly and adjusted to the manufacturer’s specifications. The trailer brakes must meet local and Federal regulations.

The braking system of the tow vehicle is rated for operation at the GVWR not GCWR.
Separate functioning brake systems are required for safe control of towed vehicles and trailers weighing more than 1500 pounds (680 kilograms) when loaded.

Trailer Lamps
Trailer lamps are required on most towed vehicles. Make sure all running lights, brake lights, turn signals and hazard lights are working. Contact your authorized dealer or trailer rental agency for proper instructions and equipment for hooking up the lamps.

Before Towing a Trailer
Practice turning, stopping and backing-up to get the feel of the vehicle-trailer combination before starting on a trip. When turning, make wider turns so the trailer wheels will clear curbs and other obstacles.

When Towing a Trailer
Do not drive faster than 70 mph (113 km/h) during the first 500 miles (800 kilometers).
Do not make full-throttle starts.
Check your hitch, electrical connections and trailer wheel lug nuts thoroughly after you have traveled 50 miles (80 kilometers).
When stopped in congested or heavy traffic during hot weather, place gearshift in P (Park) to aid engine and transmission cooling and to help A/C performance.
Turn off the speed control with heavy loads or in hilly terrain. The speed control may turn off automatically when you are towing on long, steep grades.
Shift to a lower gear when driving down a long or steep hill. Do not apply the brakes continuously, as they may overheat and become less effective.
If your transmission is equipped with a Grade Assist or Tow/Haul feature, use this feature when towing. This provides engine braking and helps eliminate excessive transmission shifting for optimum fuel economy and transmission cooling.
Allow more distance for stopping with a trailer attached; anticipate stops and brake gradually.
Avoid parking on a grade. However, if you must park on a grade:
1. Turn the steering wheel to point the vehicle tires away from traffic flow
2. Set the vehicle parking brake
3. Place the automatic transmission in P (Park) or manual transmission in a high gear
4. Place wheel chocks under in front and back of the trailer wheels.
(Chocks not equipped with vehicle.)

Launching or Retrieving a Boat or Personal Water Craft (PWC)
Note: Disconnect the wiring to the trailer before backing the trailer into the water.
Note: Reconnect the wiring to the trailer after the trailer is removed from the water.
When backing down a ramp during boat launching or retrieval:
1. Do not allow the static water level to rise above the bottom edge of the rear bumper.
2. Do not allow waves to break higher than six inches (15 centimeters) above the bottom edge of the rear bumper.
Exceeding these limits may allow water to enter vehicle components:
1. Causing internal damage to the components.
2. Affecting drivability, emissions, and reliability.
Replace the rear axle lubricant any time the rear axle has been submerged in water. Water may have contaminated the rear axle lubricant, which is not normally checked or changed unless a leak is suspected or other axle repair is required.

Last edited by Snoopy49; 9/2/12 at 11:14 PM.
Old 9/3/12, 06:44 AM
Cobra Member

This manual link should work.... http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...d=&kevin=rules

The hitch bolts to the frame in the area of the mufflers. About an hour job on a lift.