Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

"Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" Indication

Search this Thread

Old 10/22/13, 01:50 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" Indication

Hey guys maybe someone can help out here for a sec...I got new 20" wheels installed on my 2013 GT with new TPMS sensors and noticed that if I run for a certain period of time at +70mph or more, I will get the indication displayed on my dashboard.

First time I got it I read it wrong and believed I had a flat tire, but it was a sensor fault. Now, if I leave my car parked for a few hours, everything will go back to normal and will stay like that if I am just driving around town, until I hit a freeway again and get some speed going.

Any ideas?
Old 10/22/13, 03:22 PM
Banned

not using genuine ford sensors?
Old 10/22/13, 07:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
are those the orotek 0315 mhz sensors from AM?
Old 10/23/13, 07:04 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Sounds like at speed the RKE module looses the signal from tire pressure sensors, and flags them as faulty. When you slow down the RKE can pick up the signal again. It could be something wrong with the antenna connection on one of the sensors, or even the wheel affecting the signal.

Have you read the DTC codes? Is it one sensor consistently?
Old 10/23/13, 12:44 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, just sounds like a bad sensor.

Had one show that on my F250 and it was replaced under warranty.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 10/23/13 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10/23/13, 03:01 PM
GT Member

I got OEM sensors part 9L3T-1A180-BB (http://www.ebay.com/itm/151064322657...84.m1439.l2649). Should I get another set to try and see if there is any change?
Old 10/23/13, 03:04 PM
GT Member

i will take it to the dealer to see if they can tell me if it is always the same sensor
Old 10/23/13, 08:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CR_Stang
i will take it to the dealer to see if they can tell me if it is always the same sensor
If your car is still under warranty, that would be a good idea. If not you can take it to a local AutoZone or similar, and they will read your trouble codes free of charge.

Good luck getting this issue resolved. Keep us posted on the outcome.
Old 10/24/13, 01:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
If your car is still under warranty, that would be a good idea. If not you can take it to a local AutoZone or similar, and they will read your trouble codes free of charge.

Good luck getting this issue resolved. Keep us posted on the outcome.
With aftermarket wheels, the warranty doesn't apply. And this isn't a check engine light, it's a TPMS warning light so not sure what scanning for a code at AutoZone is going to do. You've got a bad sensor.
Old 10/24/13, 02:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kylerohde
With aftermarket wheels, the warranty doesn't apply. And this isn't a check engine light, it's a TPMS warning light so not sure what scanning for a code at AutoZone is going to do. You've got a bad sensor.
Any system failure warning light which comes on the dash is attached to a DTC. After the fault goes away the light is cleared, and the fault code goes to history. If there is a bad TPMS sensor there should be a record of it in the vehicle's EEPROM. The reason for this is warranty cost. If you come in with a faulted TPMS system, and it will tell you which sensor is bad, so you don't have to replace all 4.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 10/24/13 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10/24/13, 03:35 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any system failure warning light which comes on the dash is attached to a DTC. After the fault goes away the light is cleared, and the fault code goes to history. If there is a bad TPMS sensor there should be a record of it in the vehicle's EEPROM. The reason for this is warranty cost. If you come in with a faulted TPMS system, and it will tell you which sensor is bad, so you don't have to replace all 4.
Autozone cant diag tpms... just sayin. They can get p codes tops. Which is powertrain only. No b, c, t, or u codes can be pulled by what autozone uses.

Also eeprom is pre odb2. It is now stored in the kam (keep alive memory) and to top it off the tpms module stores all tpms codes. Pcm doesnt store any tpms faults. The scanners that autozone use are generic quick scanners that only have the ability to comunicate with the pcm.

Last edited by texastboneking; 10/24/13 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10/24/13, 03:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CR_Stang
+70mph or more, I will get the indication displayed on my dashboard.

if I leave my car parked for a few hours, everything will go back to normal and will stay like that if I am just driving around town, until I hit a freeway again and get some speed going.

Any ideas?
Did you check your air pressure in the tires after a 70 mph+ run? TPMS will also trigger if air pressure is too high. Are you inflating the tires to the decals spec on the door pillar, correct, or to the maximum cold inflation written on the tire, wrong?
Old 10/24/13, 03:59 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by Lime GT

Did you check your air pressure in the tires after a 70 mph+ run? TPMS will also trigger if air pressure is too high. Are you inflating the tires to the decals spec on the door pillar, correct, or to the maximum cold inflation written on the tire, wrong?
He is getting a fault. Not a pressure issue. Its a signal/sensor issue
Old 10/25/13, 06:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by texastboneking
Autozone cant diag tpms... just sayin. They can get p codes tops. Which is powertrain only. No b, c, t, or u codes can be pulled by what autozone uses.

Also eeprom is pre odb2. It is now stored in the kam (keep alive memory) and to top it off the tpms module stores all tpms codes. Pcm doesnt store any tpms faults. The scanners that autozone use are generic quick scanners that only have the ability to comunicate with the pcm.
KAM is a form of EEPROM since that's the only way to store data after the memory looses electrical power.

But I think you have a point on the communication with the Remote Keyless Entry system (which receives TPMS data). Generic tools probably won't work, as you most likely need a CAN database specific to the vehicle to interpret all the messages going across the bus. So good point there.

Sounds like to read the codes he may have to go to the dealer. Which is $$$
Old 10/25/13, 07:27 AM
sai
GT Member

I just had my rtr wheels and cooper zeon tires installed with ford oem tpms bought from eBay, I don't see any tpms warning on my cluster, I never even synced them, just installed and driving.

http://bit.ly/H6vrDq
Old 10/25/13, 09:53 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

KAM is a form of EEPROM since that's the only way to store data after the memory looses electrical power.

But I think you have a point on the communication with the Remote Keyless Entry system (which receives TPMS data). Generic tools probably won't work, as you most likely need a CAN database specific to the vehicle to interpret all the messages going across the bus. So good point there.

Sounds like to read the codes he may have to go to the dealer. Which is $$$
Most shops have a fancy enough scanner to read all the modules on a car. Bit I would see if the dealer would be nice enough to check it under warranty. Some dealers are nice about things
Old 10/25/13, 12:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Not to hi-jack this thread, but if tires are mounted without pressure monitors and the monitors were put in the pressurized canister and left in the trunk, would that trick the system so the computer wouldn’t give a low tire warning or monitor fault?
Thanks,
John
Old 10/25/13, 01:19 PM
GT Member

Google or search here for "TPMS Pipe Bomb" for details.
Old 10/25/13, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Horspla
Not to hi-jack this thread, but if tires are mounted without pressure monitors and the monitors were put in the pressurized canister and left in the trunk, would that trick the system so the computer wouldn’t give a low tire warning or monitor fault?
Thanks,
John
Almost, but not quite.
The sensors are motion activated. When stationary they transmit once every 60 minutes (or something along these lines). But once the vehicle starts moving they broadcast the signal once every 30s (more or less). The receiving module will then monitor the receptions, and if it doesn't get any RF packets from a particular sensor in few minutes of vehicle speed being over ~15mph, it will set a fault. Much like what is happening to OP.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 10/25/13 at 01:33 PM.