2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Time again for an I4?

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/08 | 04:27 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Originally Posted by rhumb
I meant a separate, smaller FWD/AWD along the general lines of the Probe, but certainly not that the Mustang should follow that route, quite to the contrary. That would allow the Mustang to more fully retain its character as a larger, RWD pony car with V6 and V8 engines. The second smaller Probe'esque sports coupe would be, well, smaller, lighter and more efficient with I4 and perhaps V6 engines, and be aimed more for the present import crowd.

Trying too hard to make a larger RWD Mustang into an econo performance coupe would, I think, be stretching its purpose and mission a bit much, much like that stillborn idea way back when of making the FWD Probe a Mustang replacement was too much of a stretch in the other direction. I believe their is room for two distinct sport coupes in the market and that their ought to be two distinct sport coupes to fill those niches. Trying to stretch one or the other, regardless of how appealing an idea to the suits in accounting, would only turn out badly.
Thanks for clearing everything up, Rhumb. I also agree that Ford should offer a second/smaller sports coupe version as well.

Perhaps something like an all new Capri, or Cougar could be marketed towards the import crowd, as a possible alternative.