2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Thouhgts on debadging

Search this Thread

Old 5/14/10, 07:43 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess my Boss is going to be a ricer from the factory then.
Old 5/14/10, 07:50 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by N8dawg
I've always been a fan of debadging. My current S60 R is debadged, although there's something about the mustang and most other muscle cars that just isn't right about it.
I have as well. I took the model badge off my Mazda, but left the M badges on it.

I'd prefer no locator holes on the fenders, but that's more work than it's worth. I could always dark chrome the badges, paint the "." the same color as the body and put them back on. Might make it look a little sharper.
Old 5/14/10, 08:43 AM
V6 Member

Some people may not like debadging, for numerous reasons. I'm not going to argue.

In fact, I was more interested in seeing pictures of those that have already gone down this path, and to get feedback on the effort required. I'm starting to think it's not worth it.

And I'm sorry if this pisses off any one in the audience, but I'm not a "mustang" guy. Never have been. I was always ambivalent; never really liked them, never disliked them. I'm actually not too fond of the 2010+ appearance - I'm mostly interested in buying the GT due to its drivetrain. But I figured that if I do end up picking one up, then I might as well try to make it appealing to *myself*, not some random internet dude.
Old 5/14/10, 08:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm all for debadging. I believe it's the perfect antidote to everyone running around paying $150+ for "Powered by Ford" emblems
Old 5/15/10, 06:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm changing the faux gas cap from GT to the tri-bar pony. I like it better and I think it is more representive of the Mustang. As for the 5.0 the jury is still out on what will replace it, but that 5.0 badge has to go. Once I decide I will post pictures.
Old 5/15/10, 09:04 AM

I am thinking of doin g mine here soon also...
Old 5/15/10, 11:06 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Big Poppa
I'm changing the faux gas cap from GT to the tri-bar pony. I like it better and I think it is more representive of the Mustang. As for the 5.0 the jury is still out on what will replace it, but that 5.0 badge has to go. Once I decide I will post pictures.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. One thing I've noticed, and Topnotch has pointed this out, is the lack of cohesion between the emblems. You've got the 5.0 badge, running pony center cap, and GT gas cap. Why not just make them all the same? You could just as easily swap out the gas cap and fender badges for tri-bars, as well as the center caps, and leave the pony on the front grille. It's just one of the little things I wish they'd fix.
Old 5/16/10, 08:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

As for the grill I have a airbrushed stars and stripes pony coming in the mail. I didn't want to say nothing until I had pics. I had one on my previous mustang, but it was just painted. Yea, I'm nationalist, patroit, flag waver, whatever, (sue me) I gotta represent the home team USA. No rice in my driveway.
Old 5/17/10, 10:06 AM

I own a V6 2010 Pony Package ...She's my first Mustang ever, so I'm no Mustang expert or "power guy", but I do think that the tri-bar logo on the Pony Package along with the faux gas cap and the wheel centers is a nice cohesion.

I love that car. It's my first Mustang, and no.. it won't beat a GT in a race, or a 11 V6. But I love that car.

De-badge if you want to of course, but I think your previous post about not really loving the car, just wanting the power is missing the point of owning a car alltogether... somehow... maybe...
Old 5/17/10, 10:12 AM

Just because. Here she is.

Last edited by Chris H; 5/17/10 at 10:13 AM. Reason: No pic
Old 5/17/10, 01:20 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Chris H
Just because. Here she is.

I was so against a black, white, silver, or gray car... But every gray car with black stripes just looks so good.

/Watertown resident currently myself
Old 5/17/10, 01:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Chris H
I own a V6 2010 Pony Package ...She's my first Mustang ever, so I'm no Mustang expert or "power guy", but I do think that the tri-bar logo on the Pony Package along with the faux gas cap and the wheel centers is a nice cohesion.

I love that car. It's my first Mustang, and no.. it won't beat a GT in a race, or a 11 V6. But I love that car.

De-badge if you want to of course, but I think your previous post about not really loving the car, just wanting the power is missing the point of owning a car alltogether... somehow... maybe...
I removed the GT on my '05 and put the tri-bar on the fenders as well. I don't like like them on the wheels because on one side is running backwards which looks kinda kooky to me, but to each his own. My stock rims just said Ford on them.

I understand what you mean by loving your car. If it gives you pleasure to wash, drive, mod, admire, then thats all that matters. Given enough power a Trabant could out run a Mustang but it would hardly be fun to drive. You got yourself a beautiful car so enjoy. BTW Please lower it a little, reminds me of a Explorer.
Old 5/17/10, 01:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by t-ray
Some people may not like debadging, for numerous reasons. I'm not going to argue.

In fact, I was more interested in seeing pictures of those that have already gone down this path, and to get feedback on the effort required. I'm starting to think it's not worth it.

And I'm sorry if this pisses off any one in the audience, but I'm not a "mustang" guy. Never have been. I was always ambivalent; never really liked them, never disliked them. I'm actually not too fond of the 2010+ appearance - I'm mostly interested in buying the GT due to its drivetrain. But I figured that if I do end up picking one up, then I might as well try to make it appealing to *myself*, not some random internet dude.
I'm curious, what to you plan to do with this car should you buy it? You said you were interested because of the drivetrain which leads me to believe you plan to build some type of racer.
Old 5/17/10, 02:46 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Big Poppa
I'm curious, what to you plan to do with this car should you buy it? You said you were interested because of the drivetrain which leads me to believe you plan to build some type of racer.
A bit of everything honestly. It would do everything that I expect my g35 to do currently: daily commuter, drag racing, autocrossing, canyon carving, the occasional cruise, and maybe an HPDE or two.

I care about the drivetrain, if I can deal with the interior and creature comforts day to day, how fast it is in a straight line, and if I can throw it around a corner when I want. I'll be spending much more time on the inside of the car than out, so its appearance is not of huge importance.
Old 5/17/10, 09:40 PM
GTR Member

Another option I thought about was to get the 2010 GT pony, which is dark chrome, then get a second set of 5.0 badges and the tri-bar gas cap, then have the chrome on those sprayed to match the pony, and for the red on the 5.0 in the decimal point, change it to body color. I think the dark badges on Kona would be a killer look.
Old 5/20/10, 02:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by t-ray
A bit of everything honestly. It would do everything that I expect my g35 to do currently: daily commuter, drag racing, autocrossing, canyon carving, the occasional cruise, and maybe an HPDE or two.

I care about the drivetrain, if I can deal with the interior and creature comforts day to day, how fast it is in a straight line, and if I can throw it around a corner when I want. I'll be spending much more time on the inside of the car than out, so its appearance is not of huge importance.
The mustang is a great car for canyon carving. I drove my '05 from Macedonia to Kosovo several times a week and let me tell you it was a blast. I never felt that it was going to come out from under me. I was taking hair pin curves and switch backs with ease and no lost of confidence in the car. One thing I should mention is I replaced the ENTIRE suspension system with Steeda stuff. I also had BMR boxed subframe connectors for a little added stiffness and even with all that it still rode pretty nice in town. I went with the competition springs and adj shocks and that made a hugh difference. I'd put it up against Porshe, BMW, MB, or anyone else for that matter. The only downside was the seats. They don't hold you very well and you find yourself using the steering wheel, leg muscles, and butt cheeks to keep you in place. Also helps to have the seatbelt tighter than normal when you plan to throw it around. I was running 255/285 and later I went to 275/40/18 all around and that setup was even better.