Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Installed Borla S-Type (2013-14)

Search this Thread

Old 2/26/14, 05:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Borla S-Type (2013-14)

I've just completed my first drive and the oil is still burning off from the inside of the canisters. I've just replaced the FR GT500 mufflers, which gave me great enjoyment these past 8 months or so. You may have seen my write-up on those suckers. To this very moment, I have nothing negative to say about those puppies. They will provide you with a relatively cheap way to really bring out some of the juiciest tone from your exhaust. The 500's never ceased to make me smile - they never left me wanting really; they just left me curious. These Type-S canisters are glorious and I can't wait to see if there's any change in tone after a dozen or so heat cycles. Here are some things I've noted for people curious in the comparison between my old and new AB rig:

These are significantly louder with a chestier tone. These aren't broken in yet and they are already about 50% louder in perceivable volume than the GT500s. There's more of everything. There are deeper lows with a more aggressive edge throughout the RPMs. Where the GT500s peak in volume around 4K and seem to disappear behind the sound of the motor, the Borlas continue building volume. Coming off of the throttle is very pleasing, as well. I think these are borderline obnoxious - and I mean this in the best way possible. These things snap necks when you lay into the throttle and tuck out of the way when cruising, which is great. Like others have noted, there is zero drone. Another difference I really appreciate about these is that I can still enjoy them while the windows are up.

I can't get off of this volume thing. Those that skip these and go straight to the Atak canisters are some fearless individuals. If I'm talking about you, then I'd probably buy you a drink because I can only imagine what you are going through in life haha.

On my way back from the dealership, I turned onto a popular blvd. Beside me was a late model 335i piloted by an older gent who wanted some. Behind him was a younger cat in a debadged, lowered, and striped BMW coupe. I could tell the guy beside me was ready to play when the light turned green. He made sure to stay ahead of me round the bend, but I knew something that he didn't; something that should've been obvious to Mr Oregato in the BMW holding up the rear - a motorcycle patrolman was behind us all. Jr was too focused on the light change so he could impress his passenger to notice, so he gunned it as the 335i and I stayed side-by-side at a slower pace. We parted like Moses hit us with his staff and gave smokey clear access to Jr, who was about 50 yards ahead and pulling. Next thing we knew, the older cat and myself were looking at each other with this "yikes!" face smirking and we went about our business sans ticket!

My belabored point is that now I have to really be aware of who is around me now that these cans announce what's happening with my right foot. Man, is it ever worth it. I guess I'll close the review with the little detail that really ties things together out back - the tips. These 13-14 series mufflers are shorter and use a shorter tip, as well. It's still the nicely rolled version that you are familiar with, except these protrude only a touch more that the GT500s - and that's alright by me. These tips are perfect for the cutouts and really bring the rear of the car together nicely. Just a perfect finishing touch.

Again, for you guys not willing or able to cough up the dough for these, the GT500s will satisfy. They will! But if you want something that offers more of everything and just falls short of ape****, save your money for these! While the GT500s are well compared to the tone of a roaring lion, these Borlas sound like a fire-breathing dragon. Sweet mercy.

Last edited by fdesalvo; 2/26/14 at 05:27 PM.
Old 2/26/14, 05:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice review! Love it, best mod I've done...so far.
Old 2/26/14, 05:54 PM
Cobra Member

Good review. I love my S-types also.
Old 2/27/14, 04:46 AM
GT Member

Do you have the S type cat back or just the muffler?

When you had the GT500s did you have stock resonators?
Old 2/27/14, 06:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mirad_GT12
Do you have the S type cat back or just the muffler?

When you had the GT500s did you have stock resonators?
Just the mufflers. I left the resonators and everything else alone.

Right now my impression is that the GT500s have a slightly nicer overall tone, but I'm still leaning towards the Borlas for looks and volume. I tell myself that at this same stage with the GT500s, the sound wasn't nearly as nice as it was once they had a couple hundred miles on them.

I don't feel as though I've wasted any money on them. I do feel like they have become the appearance mod gateway drug. Of all the things I've done thus far..these make me want to get more aggressive wheels and tires now.

I'm still in shock that people would consider these tame! The Roush ABs must sound like Armageddon compared to these.

Last edited by fdesalvo; 2/27/14 at 06:27 AM.
Old 2/27/14, 07:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
I love my S-Types too, and I have no resonators anymore, it's loud and I feel like every time I make these things scream, every Prius within a 50-mile radius is getting slapped HARD ... lmao
Which just makes me make them scream even more often

salvo, are you a writer? Cuz if not, you should probably look into it, you have a knack for it man ...
Old 2/27/14, 08:00 AM
Banned

the best part of the S-Types w/ no resonators is that "brap" sound when you lay it down all the way that isn't present when you're like 75% throttle.

I can't wait for a warm day again so i can put the top down and let her rip.
Old 2/27/14, 08:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Gabe, what up! How you livin'?
Old 2/27/14, 12:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by fdesalvo
Gabe, what up! How you livin'?
Lol ... Livin' good man, livin' good. Got me a good woman this time, has her own Mustang and a modded Shelby at that, I met her at the track for God's sakes, LMAO .... life's good.

How's you?
Old 2/27/14, 01:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
Lol ... Livin' good man, livin' good. Got me a good woman this time, has her own Mustang and a modded Shelby at that, I met her at the track for God's sakes, LMAO .... life's good.

How's you?
You need to get a ring on that stat, brotha! Haha your wedding bands should look like tires.

Living large, man. Just glad to be alive.
Old 2/27/14, 02:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just the mufflers. I left the resonators and everything else alone.

Right now my impression is that the GT500s have a slightly nicer overall tone, but I'm still leaning towards the Borlas for looks and volume. I tell myself that at this same stage with the GT500s, the sound wasn't nearly as nice as it was once they had a couple hundred miles on them.

I don't feel as though I've wasted any money on them. I do feel like they have become the appearance mod gateway drug. Of all the things I've done thus far..these make me want to get more aggressive wheels and tires now.

I'm still in shock that people would consider these tame! The Roush ABs must sound like Armageddon compared to these.

From videos Borla sounds a little tamer than Roush. Here is a nice comparison video.

Old 2/27/14, 02:34 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Both sound excellent. So torn.
Old 2/27/14, 03:31 PM
Bullitt Member

what did u do with the gt500 mufflers?
Old 2/27/14, 03:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Sold to the tech who took em out!
Old 2/27/14, 03:40 PM
Cobra Member

Did any of you drill the weep holes?
Old 2/27/14, 03:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Not going to. Borla stands behind their products; if it rusts, then they will make it right.
Old 2/27/14, 04:00 PM
Cobra Member

Not going to. Borla stands behind their products; if it rusts, then they will make it right.
Not so worried about rust as I am with the sound. I've read that water inside can change the sound. Borla even sends out instructions on how to do it.
Old 2/27/14, 04:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, I've seen a response somewhere around here where they state that these newer ones do not require this "mod". I can't remember where that post is.
Old 2/27/14, 04:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I didn't drill any weep holes.

I let the Prius drivers I pass do all the weeping
Old 2/27/14, 04:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
I didn't drill any weep holes.

I let the Prius drivers I pass do all the weeping
Dude, you know that's going into your sig. Plus! I think having the ability to have a dual, throttle-actuated, rear-firing, tactical sprinkler system on the car is quite advantageous.

Quick Reply: Installed Borla S-Type (2013-14)