2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Thoughts on Camaro vs Mustang Styling, Sales, Next-Gen

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/11, 08:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the looks of the GT500 hence why I've bought two of the current body style. My second favorite is the 2011 392 Challenger. I only like the Camaro in SS/RS trim in the HID headlights.

I'm interested in what Ford has for the next Mustang. I'd like more modern but you can still know instantly it's a Mustang.
Old 6/10/11, 02:51 PM
GT Member

I think the Camaros are selling well because it's a new design, it's flashy, it was in Transformers, there is a pent-up demand, and dealers have a good number of them. I've seen a lot of them on the road in the last year. The 2010+ Mustang looks the same as the pre-2010s to most people, so there's no reason for them to upgrade, despite the upgraded handling, powertrain, and interior. Although I see a lot of Mustangs, I've seen very few 2010+ and only a handful of 5.0s.

After seeing the Camaro in person, the exterior is an unsuccessful combination of the past and the future, in my opinion. The interior is terribly cheap and visibility is very poor too. Say what you will about the Challenger's stark interior, but at least it's clean, inoffensive, and high quality. Personally, I like the simplicity.

As for the Challenger's low sales numbers, I'm not surprised and, as a Challenger owner, happy. Dodge didn't start advertising the Challenger much or offering any sort of factory rebates or financing until last year and as a result I've seen more Challengers on the road lately, almost all V6s, but the car is still pretty rare. I think this is because there are a lot more Ford and Chevy fans than Dodge fans and also because many people perceive Challenger as being a more expensive car than either the Mustang or the Camaro. The first year of the Challenger's production was SRT only, which had a base price of over $40,000 and most dealers marked them up another $20,000, so when perspective buyers went out to look at them, they freaked. After a couple years of production, however, this is no longer true, as the V6s are all about the same price and the R/T, GT, and SS are all about the same price too.

Last edited by justindo; 6/10/11 at 03:17 PM.
Old 6/10/11, 04:00 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
A guy I work with just bought a challenger R/T. That thing is a beautiful car. Just a little too big for my taste. I would like to see one parked next to the new mustang to compare actual size.
Old 6/10/11, 04:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Next-gen is going to be the ****. That's all I have to say about that.
Old 6/10/11, 04:54 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
A guy I work with just bought a challenger R/T. That thing is a beautiful car. Just a little too big for my taste. I would like to see one parked next to the new mustang to compare actual size.
I've got a 2010 Hemi Orange Challenger R/T Classic and my friend just got a 2012 Performance White Mustang GT. I saw it for the first time last weekend and took the Challenger. We parked one behind the other on the street, but unfortunately we didn't take any pictures. There was indeed a big size difference. He said the Challenger didn't seem that big when by itself, but when put next to a "normal" sized car like his Mustang it looks huge. I agreed. It's a big car. It's great for driving on the weekends, but for day to day use in parking lots and in parking structures, it's just too large and attracts too much attention. That's why I'm ordering a 2012 Performance White GT as a daily driver.
Old 6/10/11, 09:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
we have an entire subforum for this type of thread... https://themustangsource.com/f806/
Old 6/10/11, 11:25 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Here's 2 08's: