Sponsored By:

Thoughts on Camaro vs Mustang Styling, Sales, Next-Gen

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/11, 09:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
Agree/Disagree a bit...sorta.
The challenger is a nice looking slab. Big slab..but nice looking slab.
That's not to say the Camaro would have looked better with less lines or not as many hard creases.

THe 2010+ Mustang personally I think looks great.
The diaper doesn't bother me, and the overall style of the car is stunning.
The size difference was achieved with the black moulding, whether people like it or not. Have those painted, and the car looks bigger. The design on the back end wouldn't look right if it was (as is) all painted..it looks like a long skirt.

If they do decide to change some of those aspects for the 2013, it would be nice to (if they kept it the same design) to paint parts of it to break up the black parts, or they'd have to redesign that insert to flow better, and tuck in nicer.
Again, those are just my thoughts...
Yeah... good points.
Old 6/8/11, 10:17 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think they are both great looking cars. I also think the Challenger has them both beat in the looks department. I hated the rear of the new stangs when they came out in 2010, but now I'm a huge fan.

I really think depending on what you're into, it's pretty easy to get an excellent muscle/pony car. Each of the big three is putting out a great looking solidly performing car. The mustang seems to best put together style, straight line performance, handling, interior features and driving excitement.

However it is my understanding that the men who have chosen the mustang statistically have much larger genitalia. At least that's the story I'm telling.
Old 6/8/11, 10:39 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally think style is the main reason GM is selling more Camaro's than Ford Mustangs. All you have to do is spend a little time on one of the Camaro sites to see that most people bought based on looks alone. To me, the Camaro with the 20" 5 spoke wheels does have a nice side profile. The front view is not all that great as is the rear, but generally it's a sharp looking car with those wheels. The Camaro however, only looks good to me with those wheels. When I see one with aftermarket wheels, or other styling add ons, the car just doesn't look that good. Black wheels really do not work, and the V-6 just looks cheap, with way undersized wheels. So basically, to me, the 20" stock wheels make or break the Camaro styling. The Mustang, however, looks good in most every trim level. I prefer the 19" Brembo, and Nickle Luster wheels, but all of them look better when compared to the Camaro's lineup. The stang also responds way better to styling changes, and different wheel combinatons, like the RTR wheels which are black. The stang maybe only gives up a little in the overall styling department, but more than makes up for it in engine, handling, vision, interior etc.... I have a Kona Blue 2011 GT with the 19" Nickle Luster wheels. I think the car looks great just the way it came. I have gotten many comments from people at work, about how they love the car. I too find myself staring at it when I am in my shop working on other things. To each his own I guess. If the Camaro guys bought their car based on looks, then we bought our cars based on not only looks, but every other dynamic that goes into making a great car.
Old 6/8/11, 02:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX

True... but you guys probably realize that these are efforts to reduce visual size. A big, broad slab of metal would probably not be an improvement.

Last year or so, I remember reading that one of the design criteria for the '10+ Mustang refresh was to make it look smaller...which I think worked very well and it was accomplished with expertly applied creases and curves.
I agree and I think the rear end helps with making the rear look slimmer.
Old 6/8/11, 02:36 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd still be glad to have one of each sitting in my garage.
Old 6/8/11, 02:38 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by adrenalin
Yep. The wife loves the camaro. It's only a matter of time before we have one of those also.
Old 6/8/11, 02:45 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by adrenalin
That'd be fun.

(though the Chally would be next to my B)
Old 6/8/11, 08:36 PM
Cobra R Member

I've driven several Challengers. An RT, a SRT8 and the Mopar 10 model. I like the looks of them on the outside, the interior looks more at home on a truck and NONE of them brought the smile to my face that a mustang does.

As for the Camaro....it does nothing for me.
Old 6/9/11, 04:44 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found this article interesting:

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...cking+Tires%29

2012 Ford Mustang sits on the lot for an average of 18 days.
2012 Chevy Camaro sits on the lot for an average of 19 days.
Old 6/9/11, 07:23 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Whammer
I've driven several Challengers. An RT, a SRT8 and the Mopar 10 model. I like the looks of them on the outside, the interior looks more at home on a truck and NONE of them brought the smile to my face that a mustang does.

As for the Camaro....it does nothing for me.
Thats my one huge gripe with the car.
The weight/power I could live with...I wouldn't be buying that car for performance. It's just a badmamajama looking car/cruising car that can accelerate more than 90% of the cars on the road...
but that interior!....so plain compared to the Mustang/Camaro.
(Love or hate the camaro interior..its diferent)

My wife absolutely loves the Challenger...I love its looks, but I'd still stick with Mustangs.
Old 6/9/11, 07:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
Thats my one huge gripe with the car.
The weight/power I could live with...I wouldn't be buying that car for performance. It's just a badmamajama looking car/cruising car that can accelerate more than 90% of the cars on the road...
but that interior!....so plain compared to the Mustang/Camaro.
(Love or hate the camaro interior..its diferent)

My wife absolutely loves the Challenger...I love its looks, but I'd still stick with Mustangs.

That plain interior is a plus to some of us...but I know what you mean. Dropping $32k (about the cheapest you can get an R/T manual) on a car, you expect something a bit more plush... Even the base Mustang interior looks classy by comparison.

If I was around in the late 60s/early 70s I would be shopping for a Roadrunner. I love spartan muscle cars. All go, minimal show.
Old 6/9/11, 09:12 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah, I'm not saying it has to be 'wow in your face'
It looks very plain...like it would be something you'd see on all their other cars.

The Camaro is just way out there, and while some people like it...akin to somewhat of a fighter jet cockpit look... I like the styling of the Mustang.
Its different, but not way out there. Nice mix.
Old 6/9/11, 11:47 AM

to me the Mustang is a different car to the Challenger and Camaro .. The Camaro and Challenger more alike , more like Muscle cars ,, with the Mustang being more like a sports car ..
Old 6/9/11, 12:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I found this article interesting:

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...cking+Tires%29

2012 Ford Mustang sits on the lot for an average of 18 days.
2012 Chevy Camaro sits on the lot for an average of 19 days.
Wow, that really is interesting, and gives a good perspective. It's not like Mustangs aren't selling. They're selling what they're making, and that's a darn good thing. Chevy is just pumping out more quantity and selling them too.

Back towards the end of 2009 when I was looking for a 2010 GT, I sat in the new Camaro intending to test drive. Five seconds (okay, maybe 45ish or so) in that interior and I got right out and said heck no. The look on the salesman's face was priceless. Granted, I had test drove a 2010 GT that same day prior to having a seat in the Camaro. Sure you can see out the back of a Camaro, but visibility is laughable. Felt like the interior was designed by people thinking "you'll be going fast, why do you need to look back, ever? Just mail it in."
Old 6/9/11, 12:09 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I think that the moral to this thread is, if the mustang had just a little more flash to the exterior, it would outsell the camaro for sure.
Old 6/9/11, 12:51 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really like the front and sides of the mustang! Actually I love everything about the 11 it's just the rear I don't understand!
Old 6/9/11, 01:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Supposedly the for 2013-14 refresh the rear is supposed to be altered. We should easily know in the next six months.
Old 6/9/11, 02:25 PM
GT Member

I think the Challenger has great potential, but the sides are too flat. It looks like a big, flat, billboard. It is begging for more curves outward in the rear fenders. Plus, I think it only looks good with 20" or larger rims, since it is such a big car.
The interior is also very plain, almost as if it was an afterthought.

As for the Camaro, I don't think I have thought anything new when checking out the interior....."**** this is not good. I don't want to look at this every time I am driving, plus I can't see where I am going very well!"
Old 6/9/11, 05:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Exactly. Rear end lines totally in conflict!

(Marz, you know I couldn't resist )
That has to be the worst color combination I've seen! Especially with the ugly white stripe on the side. The color and stripe contrast with the black plastic cladding too much. Looks much better in Black, Kona or MG.
Old 6/10/11, 07:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm curious as to what will come of the expected 2015 new body style. We can expect the current engines to be used in it quite easily, I don't see Ford ditching their new Engines after only four model years, especially when they've all reviewed well. The trend Ford has indicated lately is a stronger focus on performance, making it more a sports car instead of a raw muscle car. We see this in the track performance for the 2010+ model years.

Now they only really started this trend mid body style, so they had to do what they could with what they had. With a new body style this offers them the chance to design an entirely new Mustang from the ground up, and given their recent thought processes, that could lead to some very good things (probably the biggest being reduced curb weight).

On the other hand they've seen that styling seems to sell more cars, which means they might go crazy with that to try to tap into that. I personally hope they don't go too insane on this, as the current Mustang's performance characteristics is a major selling point to a lot of people. Apparently not all of them, but people exist who bought a Mustang over a Camaro because it just performed better.

My hope is that they continue with the performance trend, cut the weight, and come up with a uniquely Mustang styling suited to that without compromising the first two, or looking too much like a Camaro (which would be a mistake IMO because that style would have been around ten years when you take into account Transformers by 2014).

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Camaro vs Mustang Styling, Sales, Next-Gen