Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

For those with cold air intakes and no tune...

Search this Thread

Old 5/27/14, 08:25 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xtc.inc
Can you return an intake? How does this even work lol...

It says my order has been shipped... I ordered it from american muscle.
you must have seen some value in the CAI when ordering it. if you actually paid for it, just keep it and install it when you get it or later on if you decide to get a tuner for your car.

It will sound a little bit better, it will look a lot nicer than stock. As it was mentioned, CAI will help you if you do more exhaust work down the road.

It's your car, make it your own.
Old 5/27/14, 08:32 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Im tempted to get the Roush axlebacks...
You should. That was my first mod and well worth it.
Old 5/27/14, 11:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I think im going to return the intake and get the Roush axlebacks... everybody seems to love them so much and its probably for good reason too.
Old 5/27/14, 12:05 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I think im going to return the intake and get the Roush axlebacks... everybody seems to love them so much and its probably for good reason too.
I second that. I got a K&N box filter to replace the paper one, and GT500 exhaust. I'm happy with that setup. Total cost was $280 for GT500s and $50 for the filter. Sound is AWESOME.
Old 5/27/14, 08:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Look at Borla S-types too. About the same cost as Roushs and are probably the most popular on here, along with GT-500s. Roushs are a good choice too though.
Old 5/28/14, 07:01 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
Look at Borla S-types too. About the same cost as Roushs and are probably the most popular on here, along with GT-500s. Roushs are a good choice too though.
I 2nd this. For some, the gt500s are "enough". For others, like me, I had it for a few months and wanted more. The s types were great! I've settled on the corsas now. Am very very happy.
Old 5/28/14, 10:33 AM
Cobra Member

Sucks i made the mistake of ordering the intake, now i have to pay for shipping back to the sender and then wait even longer to get axle backs... ffs...
Old 5/28/14, 03:46 PM
I Have No Life

Sucks i made the mistake of ordering the intake, now i have to pay for shipping back to the sender and then wait even longer to get axle backs... ffs...
Why not just get both?!?!?! Keep the intake and then get the borlas or corsas. Skip the gt500.
Old 5/28/14, 05:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Why not just get both?!?!?! Keep the intake and then get the borlas or corsas. Skip the gt500.
Was thinking about this, but then realized the intake without a tune is basically worthless. Yes it sucks in more air, but that air is just hot air from the engine bay. Like stated before, it is essentially a Hot air intake. So what i did was i got the k&n filter which utilizes the OEM cold air induction system, keeps inlet air temp low and helps a little performance wise. I also ordered the Roush axle backs. For that price i dont think you can do much better. Hopefully that was a good decision. Albeit down the road when im ready to part with some more cash i will either get a full corsa catback or stainless works catback. This is just a little something to keep me happy for the time being.

Dont think im going to be doing an ECU tune for awhile, its always been sketchy to me especially during the warranty period.
Old 5/28/14, 07:19 PM
I Have No Life

Was thinking about this, but then realized the intake without a tune is basically worthless. Yes it sucks in more air, but that air is just hot air from the engine bay. Like stated before, it is essentially a Hot air intake. So what i did was i got the k&n filter which utilizes the OEM cold air induction system, keeps inlet air temp low and helps a little performance wise. I also ordered the Roush axle backs. For that price i dont think you can do much better. Hopefully that was a good decision. Albeit down the road when im ready to part with some more cash i will either get a full corsa catback or stainless works catback. This is just a little something to keep me happy for the time being. Dont think im going to be doing an ECU tune for awhile, its always been sketchy to me especially during the warranty period.
Yeah I had the airraid. It sounded cool for sure. As far as butt dyno, maybe placebo effect? Hmmm

As far as the stock box, my Maggie kit calls for that exact setup: stock box with box kn filter. So all new now is a blower!!!
Old 5/28/14, 08:55 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Was thinking about this, but then realized the intake without a tune is basically worthless. Yes it sucks in more air, but that air is just hot air from the engine bay. Like stated before, it is essentially a Hot air intake. So what i did was i got the k&n filter which utilizes the OEM cold air induction system, keeps inlet air temp low and helps a little performance wise. I also ordered the Roush axle backs. For that price i dont think you can do much better. Hopefully that was a good decision. Albeit down the road when im ready to part with some more cash i will either get a full corsa catback or stainless works catback. This is just a little something to keep me happy for the time being.

Dont think im going to be doing an ECU tune for awhile, its always been sketchy to me especially during the warranty period.
Well played. Roush always seemed a bit too raspy for my taste, but beauty is in the ear of the beholder. Hope you enjoy your new setup
Old 5/28/14, 09:51 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Well played. Roush always seemed a bit too raspy for my taste, but beauty is in the ear of the beholder. Hope you enjoy your new setup
Agree about the roush.
Old 5/30/14, 09:03 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first MOD was change out of the those extra heavy stock mufflers to Borla S-Type. Oh the sound with my V6 sounds sooo much better. I enjoy the shift downs....I Love the cackle.

But in CAI, I have questions...cause my next mod that I am saving for was to buy a CAI for my V6. I was looking at the reasoning to let the engine breathe alot easier....as the stock box looks like it is restrictive and this based on the air duct bends as a restriction to the air flow. (Ford wouldn't create a box that is sooo restrictive to cause problems but...) I look at the CAI that is does have less bends to not to restrict airflow thru the ducting. (I did notice in the instructions that the duct gets reduced down to the intake alittle) I figure that the HP increase that all of them say is a "Marketing Ploy". The one gentlemen previously mentioned that he would increase his time with COLD air, as yes that is denser air.....versus HOT air being least dense. Under the hood of my V6 I am betting that it is HOT air as soon as the engine warms up even with the stock breather on it.

So what I have read says it is for sound more than to help the engine breathe better????
Old 5/30/14, 09:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have a v6 but I noticed an immediate difference in throttle response. It seems a lot more reactive. I put 22,000 miles on my car before installing a CAI, I definitely know the original feeling.

Additionally I gained 2 MPG city and 2 MPG highway
Old 5/30/14, 09:21 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I second that. I got a K&N box filter to replace the paper one, and GT500 exhaust. I'm happy with that setup. Total cost was $280 for GT500s and $50 for the filter. Sound is AWESOME.
This! Your stock air setup is already a cold air intake system. I simply dropped a K and N free flow filter in for a fraction of the price of a CAI and could not be happier.
Old 5/30/14, 01:32 PM
GT Member

^ Can you give me the K&N free flow filter part no. for a '13 V6? I would like to try this, can probably get the filter locally (for a price!!) if I order it in. Thanks.

And yup, that V6 engine compartmenet gets hot real fast. Nice in the winter, not so much in the summer, luckily the A/C gets up to speed real quick too (watch my already low gas mileage plummet). Not sure where I'd get the "cold air" from without significant mods (for any real CAI)?

Last edited by cfraser; 5/30/14 at 01:36 PM.
Old 5/30/14, 05:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cfraser
^ Can you give me the K&N free flow filter part no. for a '13 V6? I would like to try this, can probably get the filter locally (for a price!!) if I order it in. Thanks.

And yup, that V6 engine compartmenet gets hot real fast. Nice in the winter, not so much in the summer, luckily the A/C gets up to speed real quick too (watch my already low gas mileage plummet). Not sure where I'd get the "cold air" from without significant mods (for any real CAI)?
I don't have the part # but you can get on the American Muscle website and get it or better yet, just order it from them!
Old 5/31/14, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by JCStang
The stock intake breathes just fine.....

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Yeah I had the airraid. It sounded cool for sure. As far as butt dyno, maybe placebo effect? Hmmm

As far as the stock box, my Maggie kit calls for that exact setup: stock box with box kn filter. So all new now is a blower!!!
Originally Posted by mcrider
This! Your stock air setup is already a cold air intake system. I simply dropped a K and N free flow filter in for a fraction of the price of a CAI and could not be happier.
Old 5/31/14, 12:53 PM
GT Member

Looks like the K&N filter is 33-2431, for all '13/'14 Mustangs except Shelby. Not a cheap filter, but lots cheaper than a CAI if it does most of the same good. [Not in stock at K&N right now...**** forums and saying good things about a product!]
Old 6/1/14, 08:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have read that people loss HP and TQ by running the K & N drop in filter. Not sure if I can post the link from another site with dyne comparison but here it is
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...nt-Filter-Test

Quick Reply: For those with cold air intakes and no tune...